Pharmacy School Life for Guys

Started by dumbguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interesting thread. My buddy and I have been talking about this same thing. He is married and I'm single.

My rule is, "If you're in my class I will not touch your ass"

Period.
 
whats the deal with the whole, "no dating classmates" is there something horribly wrong that i am missing out on?
 
whats the deal with the whole, "no dating classmates" is there something horribly wrong that i am missing out on?

As long as things are good between you and your fellow classmate, really nothing.

HOWEVER, usually relationships don't work out and end badly; therefore you are stuck seeing that person for years to come. People will talk and you will be in all sorts of conversations you do not want to be.

I would strongly advise waiting until the program is almost over if you want to date someone in your class. Try to find others to play with outside of class!!
 
whats the deal with the whole, "no dating classmates" is there something horribly wrong that i am missing out on?

Pharmacy school is kinda like HS all over again. Everyone knows everyone's business. There is such a small group of you and you are with eachother all the time. I didn't think it would happen...I have a class size of 200, but it still does.
 
It's only as high school as you let it be. I don't hang out or talk with anybody in my class with the exception of one guy. He is my designated liaison to the rest of the class. The rest of 'em don't know jack about me.....and I like it like that....
 
The rest of the people in the class can dislike me all they want, I just want to be loved by all the ladies. Is that too much to ask?
 
It's only as high school as you let it be. I don't hang out or talk with anybody in my class with the exception of one guy. He is my designated liaison to the rest of the class. The rest of 'em don't know jack about me.....and I like it like that....


being a hermit/recluse won't get you anywhere. it's a professional program... expand your social network.
 
What is wrong with hitting on someone who is apparently taken? If you end up hooking up, it's the significant others loss.
 
What is wrong with hitting on someone who is apparently taken? If you end up hooking up, it's the significant others loss.

As long as they aren't married or have kids with their significant other, then they *really* aren't taken. That's my opinion anyway. I'm married and had someone hit on me that knew I was married. Instead of being flattered I just remember thinking (and saying), "Wow. You must be a real dog to hit on someone married with a child." But if they aren't married to or have a child with their significant other, I say they are fair game.
 
i can't really say what it's like for guys...but as for saying the single girls in pharm school are likely not attractive or have bad personalities etc...that's not going to be true in all cases. i'm single and i wouldn't say i plan on looking for anyone to date in pharmacy school..but i also wouldn't say i'm unattractive to the point where i wouldn't be noticed. and i have a good personality (imo..). i think i might just go across the street to the med school to meet some guys. haha. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are the people in pharmacy school all nerds and not good looking? I will not be to enthused to attend class with no prospects in the room.

Do you also think that guys in professional programs have more "gold-diggers" try to attract them? or is that also a myth?
 
Thanks Tony Robbins. Network, schmetwork. If I was getting an MBA, your point might be valid, but I'll always have a job, so being sociable is only an option.

It's only as high school as you let it be. I don't hang out or talk with anybody in my class with the exception of one guy. He is my designated liaison to the rest of the class. The rest of 'em don't know jack about me.....and I like it like that....QUOTE]

I concur. If you keep as quiet and to yourself as possible, nobody will know jack $hit about you and thus it won't be like high school where people pry into your lives. Must you know where I am going? must you know where I am studying? must you know what I am doing this weekend or what I did for fun last weekend? I know where WVUPharm2007 is coming from. My theory in life is if someone offers to tell me something, great; if they don't, okay, I'm not going to force them b/c I don't want to come off as being nosy (even though I may care). Likewise, if I don't offer to tell you all the details of my life (even as simple as what the hell I did for fun last weekend, don't ask; it's being nosy. I am in school for the sole purpose of learning and eventually making a ton of $, not to make (a large # of) friends or have people know too much about me and get into my private life. The # of close friends I have in my life that I've offered an invitation to know about the "real" me outside school has reached already its saturability. The word "networking" is such a big hype. If i get the job, I get the job. If I don't, move on. Bottom line is I will have a PharmD degree, so that means i will always have a job. always.
 
are the people in pharmacy school all nerds and not good looking? I will not be to enthused to attend class with no prospects in the room.

Do you also think that guys in professional programs have more "gold-diggers" try to attract them? or is that also a myth?

Nerd and not good looking are not mutually exclusive. There are several cute pharmacy students at WVU, so as in the normal student population. Pharmacists don't get the "gold-diggers" because a lot of them don't know how much bank we make.
 
Nerd and not good looking are not mutually exclusive. There are several cute pharmacy students at WVU, so as in the normal student population. Pharmacists don't get the "gold-diggers" because a lot of them don't know how much bank we make.


Well ****! They didn't. Thanks WVU...the secret is now out.
 
I'd thought I bump this thread up. Anyone got any interesting stories to tell?
 
STORIES! Ha! If only I didn't know the administration for my school checked these boards.... and its only Second semester of P1 for me!!
 
I haven't shaved yet in February (for a contest leading into Moustache March) and the girls are still battling over me.

All about confidence.
 
Actually the ratio is not so extreme though I'm surprised there are more girls than guys especially since most of the pharmacists I've worked with have been guys. Right now here at Maryland even the dental school I think has slightly more girls than men.

Yes there are a lot of girls but most I wouldn't consider dating because of demographic reasons. I grew up in a working class family in a rich, preppy elitist high school and most of the girls here happen to come from that demographic, I believe most schools, especially in the Northeast and West Coast are like that. A lot of the girls are very shallow, materialistic, snotty, stuck up and not my type. Basically you get the yuppie liberal elite type mostly, or the really boring, nontalkative Asian nerds (and I can say this because I'm Asian myself.) Also a few foreign Asian girls whose passing the interview process despite their poor English remains a mystery to me.

In terms of dating and life, being in professional school does alienate you from the real world. When I go to work outside Baltimore in a blue collar suburb where people still marry their high school sweethearts and get their dad's old job at the steel mills or auto plants or the port, its like 20 minutes and a world away. When I did my rotation in a small rural town the women there wer SO beautiful and had wonderful sweet personalities. And trust me, I would take any of those girls over the ones at my school anyday, except most of these down to earth girls are taken, and yeah often by their high school sweethearts or the guy next door. If anything I feel like I'm being left out and passed by because I'm in school. Not specifically pharmacy but grad school in general. I'm surrounded by the liberal elite even though I'm not of this demographic yet it seems most of the girls I have left to choose from are. A lot of these are also "urban" type women who don't seem interested in moving to a small town or a suburb like normal people do.

MOST of the girls in my class who fit the kind of girl I want....some of them are already married or engaged, some of them are in long-term relationships from before pharmacy school. Maryland is a small state and Baltimore is in the middle so people easily keep their college or even high school sweethearts without the challenges of a long-distance relationship. The out of state girls from up north or California....def ain't my type!
 
Actually the ratio is not so extreme though I'm surprised there are more girls than guys especially since most of the pharmacists I've worked with have been guys. Right now here at Maryland even the dental school I think has slightly more girls than men.

Yes there are a lot of girls but most I wouldn't consider dating because of demographic reasons. I grew up in a working class family in a rich, preppy elitist high school and most of the girls here happen to come from that demographic, I believe most schools, especially in the Northeast and West Coast are like that. A lot of the girls are very shallow, materialistic, snotty, stuck up and not my type. Basically you get the yuppie liberal elite type mostly, or the really boring, nontalkative Asian nerds (and I can say this because I'm Asian myself.) Also a few foreign Asian girls whose passing the interview process despite their poor English remains a mystery to me.

In terms of dating and life, being in professional school does alienate you from the real world. When I go to work outside Baltimore in a blue collar suburb where people still marry their high school sweethearts and get their dad's old job at the steel mills or auto plants or the port, its like 20 minutes and a world away. When I did my rotation in a small rural town the women there wer SO beautiful and had wonderful sweet personalities. And trust me, I would take any of those girls over the ones at my school anyday, except most of these down to earth girls are taken, and yeah often by their high school sweethearts or the guy next door. If anything I feel like I'm being left out and passed by because I'm in school. Not specifically pharmacy but grad school in general. I'm surrounded by the liberal elite even though I'm not of this demographic yet it seems most of the girls I have left to choose from are. A lot of these are also "urban" type women who don't seem interested in moving to a small town or a suburb like normal people do.

MOST of the girls in my class who fit the kind of girl I want....some of them are already married or engaged, some of them are in long-term relationships from before pharmacy school. Maryland is a small state and Baltimore is in the middle so people easily keep their college or even high school sweethearts without the challenges of a long-distance relationship. The out of state girls from up north or California....def ain't my type!


Hey, hey, hey, don't make fun of "urban" types. Unless you have a car, living in the suburbs is prison. It's way too quiet. I used to live in Downtown Flushing NY until I was 16, now I'm in Long Island. I miss hearing the buses squealing from braking at 3AM at night.
 
Also a few foreign Asian girls whose passing the interview process despite their poor English remains a mystery to me.

I'm surrounded by the liberal elite even though I'm not of this demographic yet it seems most of the girls I have left to choose from are. A lot of these are also "urban" type women who don't seem interested in moving to a small town or a suburb like normal people do.

Yeah, what's up with people who cant speak english becoming pharmacists?? It's really absurd. There's a thread in the pre pharmacy forum where people bitch about having to pass a phone interview test of english proficiency in order to get into certain schools. I for one say let them in - there will be less competition for jobs if 10% of the class cant speak proper english.

I know what you mean about the urban elite thing. My entire post high school experience has been filled with these people and it's gotten extremely annoying. I bet WVU knows some nice girl hick pharmacists he could set us up with. 👍:laugh: excuse me, i meant to say "pharmacist from a rural background"
 
Is it really that easy for someone with horrible English to pass pharmacy school? For med students, when we take the step 2 CS USMLE exam (one half of the test you have to pass to get your MD), there is a whole section on English proficiency. If you speak like you just got off of a boat from somewhere, they will fail you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sooo what happens when you already started dating Pharmacy students when you are a P0 (accepted pharmacy student haha)?

I'll tell you what happens... when it ends badly, it doesn't bode well for you for any current students... fellow P1's will be your only option lol.

It is exactly like High School and if you don't hang out with the "cool kids" you will never be invited to anything.
 
Let me chime in from a guy's perspective.

Dated 2 girls in my p1 year. One ended badly, and we can't stand to even look at each other never mind talking. I got lucky with the second girl from P1, and we are planning on getting engaged in 4th year. The bad thing is she's a friend of girl-1. LOL, how awkward is that? :meanie:

P1 started with everyone making friends, but the same dating drama played out over and over again. So you see the social circle break off a piece at a time, until you are left with 3-4 real friends by P3 year. Bottom line: don't date your classmate when you can outside of class.

Now for guys who think girls will fall from trees in pharmacy school. Yes girls out number you 2:1, but most girls are married/engaged while most guys aren't. We guys don't like to get married until waaaay later, while girls like to latch onto their first boyfriend if they could. 😀

But you could do worse than end up with a pharmacy girl. The girls in pharmacy are a mixed bag like everywhere else. BUT they will all at least have the means to support themselves. There will still be spendthrifts and leechers, but that's beside the point.

I'm about at that point to really think about settling down, and I'm cool with marrying my girlfriend partially because (1) she's independent, and (2) with both of us pulling in some serious dough, the marriage will be more fair and off to a better start than most. Date a young liberal arts undergrad means some freaky fun in bed, but do you want to marry a girl that won't be able to line up a job and will be dragging your living standard down?
 
Let me chime in from a guy's perspective.

Dated 2 girls in my p1 year. One ended badly, and we can't stand to even look at each other never mind talking. I got lucky with the second girl from P1, and we are planning on getting engaged in 4th year. The bad thing is she's a friend of girl-1. LOL, how awkward is that? :meanie:

P1 started with everyone making friends, but the same dating drama played out over and over again. So you see the social circle break off a piece at a time, until you are left with 3-4 real friends by P3 year. Bottom line: don't date your classmate when you can outside of class.

Now for guys who think girls will fall from trees in pharmacy school. Yes girls out number you 2:1, but most girls are married/engaged while most guys aren't. We guys don't like to get married until waaaay later, while girls like to latch onto their first boyfriend if they could. 😀

But you could do worse than end up with a pharmacy girl. The girls in pharmacy are a mixed bag like everywhere else. BUT they will all at least have the means to support themselves. There will still be spendthrifts and leechers, but that's beside the point.

I'm about at that point to really think about settling down, and I'm cool with marrying my girlfriend partially because (1) she's independent, and (2) with both of us pulling in some serious dough, the marriage will be more fair and off to a better start than most. Date a young liberal arts undergrad means some freaky fun in bed, but do you want to marry a girl that won't be able to line up a job and will be dragging your living standard down?

Date the young liberal arts undergrad, find a nice med school student while on rounds, dump the liberal arts major.