Pharmacy school out of community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotatoPharmer

Idaho Farmercist
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of the Pharm Ds here managed to get into Pharmacy school out of Community College? A lot of the ones in my area offer the option but I’m wondering what it takes.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you be more specific as to which pharmacy schools you’re referring to? I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from a university before I applied and got accepted to pharmacy school that was already accredited.

As more and more prospective pre-pharms figure out that pharmacy is a scam of a profession and jump ship, expect pharmacy schools to start recruiting heavily from high schools and community colleges.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of the Pharm Ds here managed to get into Pharmacy school out of Community College? A lot of the ones in my area offer the option but I’m wondering what it takes.

Your better off taking lab portions and rigorous prereqs like Organic Chem at a university setting.

That said, I would not be surprised of the 144+ programs that some would accept courses from a cc. I would not run the chance of taking any virtual online lab or prerequisite courses though...

What area are you specifically talking about? Are they at least accredited (none of this pending, pre-candidate, nationally accredited schools)? I've seen a few go through with a majority of classes from a cc setting. Cant speak on them passing their pharmacy classes though.

My anecdotal 2 cents. I have met 2 cc students that got into a decent pharmacy school. 1 of them did most of his pre-reqs at a cc and just did a year of university level upper division courses. The other one did all their pre-reqs at the cc but she had to apply twice to the same university to get in.

The reason why I would like to know which pharmacy school specifically is to bring up California Health Sciences University as an example. CHSU is one of the newest pharmacy schools that just opened up in California. It is a for profit private university. When I say “for profit,” I really mean “for profit.”
Schools like CHSU know that pre pharms are cash cows so they’ll do anything to lower their admission standards just to take in students. All you need is a 2.7 GPA to be considered. 2.7 GPA? That has got to be a complete joke for a professional school. Secondly, they know that the more competitive applicants are likelier to go to established schools such as UCSF and USC. So what does CHSU do? Recruit pre pharms at a local community college including ones who never earned a Bachelor’s degree in anything. What is the end result? A graduating class of PharmD’s where one-fourth still haven’t passed their board exams. CHSU has such a bad reputation that NONE of the hospitals in the Central Valley will accept any resident from their school. Fast-forward a year later. The school has been denied full accreditation. There are CHSU PharmD’s who still never worked as a pharmacist for even a day despite earning their degree. The only difference is that all of the new pharmacy graduates are $200,000 poorer than before they started school.
Moral of the story: Stay away from diploma mills. You know who they are when they make it ridiculously easy to get in. It’s almost no different than DeVry or ITT tech.

Reactions: 1 user
The reason why I would like to know which pharmacy school specifically is to bring up California Health Sciences University as an example. CHSU is one of the newest pharmacy schools that just opened up in California. It is a for profit private university. When I say “for profit,” I really mean “for profit.”
Schools like CHSU know that pre pharms are cash cows so they’ll do anything to lower their admission standards just to take in students. All you need is a 2.7 GPA to be considered. 2.7 GPA? That has got to be a complete joke for a professional school. Secondly, they know that the more competitive applicants are likelier to go to established schools such as UCSF and USC. So what does CHSU do? Recruit pre pharms at a local community college including ones who never earned a Bachelor’s degree in anything. What is the end result? A graduating class of PharmD’s where one-fourth still haven’t passed their board exams. CHSU has such a bad reputation that NONE of the hospitals in the Central Valley will accept any resident from their school. Fast-forward a year later. The school has been denied full accreditation. There are CHSU PharmD’s who still never worked as a pharmacist for even a day despite earning their degree. The only difference is that all of the new pharmacy graduates are $200,000 poorer than before they started school.
Moral of the story: Stay away from diploma mills. You know who they are when they make it ridiculously easy to get in. It’s almost no different than DeVry or ITT tech.

Wow, never heard of this school and I never knew schools actually got denied accreditation. Does that mean it will shut down or will they just delay it?

They’re just delaying accreditation.

It's really easy to get in with just community college classes but that's not a good thing; it's a result of pharmacy school lowering standards. All you need is a pulse, 2.5 GPA in your community college courses (which are already a joke), 30 PCAT, and $200k+ in student loan money to get accepted into pharmacy school. The problem is that there are few or no jobs so you're going to have a hard time paying that debt off.

There are CHSU PharmD’s who still never worked as a pharmacist for even a day despite earning their degree. The only difference is that all of the new pharmacy graduates are $200,000 poorer than before they started school.

They'll actually continue to get poorer by the year as their student loan balance increases each year at 6%+ interest.

They'll actually continue to get poorer by the year as their student loan balance increases each year at 6%+ interest.

They're counting on Bernie or Warren to bail them out.

My boss did. That is why I followed her same path. She had no debt entering PharmD program. I am just finishing up with cc and early applied to Wayne State University. I'll let you know if I get in. GPA on the low side 3.4 but I feel I hit PCAT out of the park (on the 1st try). Bio 94, Chem 89, Reading 74, Quant 72, and a Composite of 87.

My boss did. That is why I followed her same path. She had no debt entering PharmD program. I am just finishing up with cc and early applied to Wayne State University. I'll let you know if I get in. GPA on the low side 3.4 but I feel I hit PCAT out of the park (on the 1st try). Bio 94, Chem 89, Reading 74, Quant 72, and a Composite of 87.

Go for it and im sure you will make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already been accepted and have 3 courses left (micro, stats, A&P I) for financial reasons I want to take these at CC. I'm on GI bill and want to save it for pharm school. Will my school see this as an issue?

As long as you complete and pass all of your pre requisites, then it’s not an issue whether if you took the course at a CC.

As long as you complete and pass all of your pre requisites, then it’s not an issue whether if you took the course at a CC.
Is there anything else I could do to boost my chances? I already get all As and the school I'm applying to doesn't have a very high GPA requirement. At the same time I'm well aware this is Pharmacy school so their expectations should be quite high.

Is there anything else I could do to boost my chances? I already get all As and the school I'm applying to doesn't have a very high GPA requirement. At the same time I'm well aware this is Pharmacy school so their expectations should be quite high.

Ask the school directly. Most are upfront in what type of things they want to see in students if its a competitive program.

Wow, never heard of this school and I never knew schools actually got denied accreditation. Does that mean it will shut down or will they just delay it?

Schools *can* actually be shut down for failing accreditation. The Hawaii School of Pharmacy is a sad story, lots of students left with nothing but debt. My advice, *never* go to a school that is not already fully accredited, if you can't get accepted into an accredited school, then you don't need to be going to pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer your signature, why would I want to be a computer programmer and sit at a computer all day, be perpetually unemployed and working overtime, have my only job options be programming for Facebook or Google if I want any real money, have thousands of competitors who can do my job better considering it's almost entirely skill based, be extremely replaceable and get myself shoved off by another guy who can do it for $5 an hour, when I can learn to be a Pharmacist and do exactly the same job that every other Pharmacist does and have no worries about Job security.
Also consider the fact that many people nowadays just go to Coding Bootcamps and learn what they need to know in 12 weeks. You spend 4 years working hard to be that big computer engineer and suddenly your buddy from Highschool has that job position you were looking for before you even got there and he learned it better than you would using the College system.
Clearly you yourself are a Computer Programmer who got laid off from making Farmville apps on Facebook for 12+ hours a day so he's taking it out on good, hardworking people who join the Medical field.

Last edited:
To answer your signature, why would I want to be a computer programmer and sit at a computer all day, be perpetually unemployed and working overtime, have my only job options be programming for Facebook or Google if I want any real money, have thousands of competitors who can do my job better considering it's almost entirely skill based, be extremely replaceable and get myself shoved off by another guy who can do it for $5 an hour, when I can learn to be a Pharmacist and do exactly the same job that every other Pharmacist does and have no worries about Job security.
Also consider the fact that many people nowadays just go to Coding Bootcamps and learn what they need to know in 12 weeks. You spend 4 years working hard to be that big computer engineer and suddenly your buddy from Highschool has that job position you were looking for before you even got there and he learned it better than you would using the College system.
"B-b-b-b-but the student loans!"
Literally just 2 years worth of my wages will pay them off. This isn't a degree in art.
Clearly you yourself are a Computer Programmer who got laid off from making Farmville apps on Facebook for 12+ hours a day so he's taking it out on good, hardworking people who join the Medical field.
Let me also assure you that as a Pharmacist I’m contributing to a great cause in fighting disease, both physical and mental, which has killed more people worldwide than any war combined . What are you gonna do as a computer scientist? Make the next Angry Birds rip-off on iPhone? What are you gonna do as an engineer? Make massage chairs for some off brand company? You have to admit those are where the only jobs are right now.

• Haha
Let me also assure you that as a Pharmacist I’m contributing to a great cause in fighting disease, both physical and mental, which has killed more people worldwide than any war combined . What are you gonna do as a computer scientist? Make the next Angry Birds rip-off on iPhone? What are you gonna do as an engineer? Make massage chairs for some off brand company? You have to admit those are where the only jobs are right now.
This guy!!! I like you! keep up these thoughts! All the computer programmers around me think they are better than me when Im a pharmacist. Did you study computer programming?

LoL good troll post.

Think of it what you will. Disease is an ever present reality that will never end. Everyone gets sick, everyone needs meds. Nobody needs Facebook.

Right but who makes all the profits from meds? Not the pharmacies therefore not the pharmacists. And who created the software and hardware that pharmacists use?

Right but who makes all the profits from meds? Not the pharmacies therefore not the pharmacists. And who created the software and hardware that pharmacists use?
If I’m making $200k a year just selling the meds then what does it matter?

FTFY

Why would I want to be a pharmacist and stand behind the counter for 12+ hours a day with no breaks, get verbally (and sometimes physically) abused by patients because you won't fill their oxys 5 days early or because their insurance won't cover one of their medications, be perpetually unemployed or underemployed and working overtime, have my only job options be slaving for CVS or Walgreens since that is where most of the jobs are, have thousands of competitors who can do my job faster and cheaper considering that real skills that lead to better patient outcomes are not valued, be extremely replaceable and get myself shoved off by another guy who can do it for $35 an hour, when I can learn to be a Computer Programmer and set myself apart from all the other programmers and have no worries about Job security.
Also consider the fact that many people nowadays just go to Pharmacy Schools and only need to show up with a pulse and $200k+ in student loans. You spend 4 years working to get straight A's, a 99 PCAT, and work experience as a tech to get accepted into pharmacy school and suddenly your buddy from Highschool gets that pharmacy school acceptance with a 2.3 GPA, 20 PCAT, and no work experience. They post all over Facebook how pharmacy has "always" been their passion even though you know they have never stepped foot in a pharmacy.

Clearly you yourself are a Pre-Pharm who is in denial about the real state of the pharmacy job market so he's taking it out on good, hardworking pharmacists who want the truth of the pharmacist job market to be known.

FTFY

Why would I want to be a pharmacist and stand behind the counter for 12+ hours a day with no breaks, get verbally (and sometimes physically) abused by patients because you won't fill their oxys 5 days early or because their insurance won't cover one of their medications, be perpetually unemployed or underemployed and working overtime, have my only job options be slaving for CVS or Walgreens since that is where most of the jobs are, have thousands of competitors who can do my job faster and cheaper considering that real skills that lead to better patient outcomes are not valued, be extremely replaceable and get myself shoved off by another guy who can do it for $35 an hour, when I can learn to be a Computer Programmer and set myself apart from all the other programmers and have no worries about Job security.
Also consider the fact that many people nowadays just go to Pharmacy Schools and only need to show up with a pulse and $200k+ in student loans. You spend 4 years working to get straight A's, a 99 PCAT, and work experience as a tech to get accepted into pharmacy school and suddenly your buddy from Highschool gets that pharmacy school acceptance with a 2.3 GPA, 20 PCAT, and no work experience. They post all over Facebook how pharmacy has "always" been their passion even though you know they have never stepped foot in a pharmacy.

Clearly you yourself are a Pre-Pharm who is in denial about the real state of the pharmacy job market so he's taking it out on good, hardworking pharmacists who want the truth of the pharmacist job market to be known.
Same thing in tech now. High school dropouts ;)

Same thing in tech now. High school dropouts ;)

Tech companies are hurting for workers right now. Many programmers are getting hired without degrees.

As a pharmacist our education requirements continue to increase due to the saturation. Now most hospitals require PGY1s for you to be competitive.

Think of it what you will. Disease is an ever present reality that will never end. Everyone gets sick, everyone needs meds. Nobody needs Facebook.
really~ a typical facebook software engineer can makes 2X as much than a pharmacist, if you are still lucky enough to get 32 hours a week LOLLLL

Last edited:
what kind of logic is this? you do the same job as every other pill counters do and you have no worries about job security. nice try~:dead:

This potato guy is clearly a troll or a very naive pre-pharm, hard to tell the difference these days. Look at his join date, July 29.

really~ a typical facebook software engineer can makes 2X as much than a pharmacist, if you are still lucky enough to get 32 hours a week LOLLLL
And their job is much more difficult and much more skill based. You are easily replaceable and there are people without college degrees who can basically learn to code at home.

what kind of logic is this? you do the same job as every other pill counters do and you have no worries about job security. nice try~:dead:
Exactly. Proving my point above.

And their job is much more difficult and much more skill based. You are easily replaceable and there are people without college degrees who can basically learn to code at home.

what dream world do u live in? did u ever work a day in a busy pharmacy? :eek:

well actually you have to learn something new everyday in software engineering to be irreplaceable
i have to look up lexicomp everyday for idiotic customers too, so any difference?o_O

i have to look up lexicomp everyday for idiotic customers too, so any difference?o_O
eh as a pharmacist I dont use lexicomp everyday. As a software engineer half your errors are in google. You have to look stuff up everyday. Theory and practice are very different. Just like they interview you to be a algo engineer in software engineering and they dont use any

cs jobs are much more difficult yet replaceable cuz anyone can learn to code at home?
pharmacists jobs are easy but irreplaceable cuz you have to go to school for 4 years with massive loans to learn how to count by fives and another grad can do exactly what you can do without a heart beat?

omg, this is so hilarious and really a nice try:dead:. your logic literally defied the most fundamental theory of economics:eek::rolleyes:
honestly, i recommend you to go and do an IQ test and make sure you are not having any logic issues, otherwise you may very well unable to pass naplex

cs jobs are much more difficult yet replaceable cuz anyone can learn to code at home?
pharmacists jobs are easy but irreplaceable cuz you have to go to school for 4 years with massive loans to learn how to count by fives and another grad can do exactly what you can do without a heart beat?

omg, this is so hilarious and really a nice try:dead:. your logic literally defied the most fundamental theory of economics:eek::rolleyes:
honestly, i recommend you to go and do an IQ test and make sure you are not having any logic issues, otherwise you may very well unable to pass naplex
young people have unrealistic thinking, cant blame them

young people have unrealistic thinking, cant blame them
this is also one of my biggest reason or motivation to get out of pharmacy, cuz pharmacy students are just so bottom of the barrel nowadays :shrug:
because of them and those bastards in apha and acpe, having this pharmd degree may make me look bad in the near future:rolleyes:
at least reputable cs master programs are still only admitting cream of the crop students from india and china. I may very well feel ashamed to even mention I went to pharmacy school and am a licensed pharmacist in near future, because of their incompetence.

CAnt Blame the generation. It's just that America isn't producing so much talent these days. I like young people, they hold onto their dreams.

CAnt Blame the generation. It's just that America isn't producing so much talent these days. I like young people, they hold onto their dreams.

Their generation has been given unrealistic expectations which everyone deserves to be a winner regardless of results produced. They're told to pursue their "dreams" no matter how unrealistic they may be. They're awarded with participation trophies, degrees, and now acceptance letters into Doctor of Pharmacy programs only by showing up and doing the bare minimum.

Their generation has been given unrealistic expectations which everyone deserves to be a winner regardless of results produced. They're told to pursue their "dreams" no matter how unrealistic they may be. They're awarded with participation trophies, degrees, and now acceptance letters into Doctor of Pharmacy programs only by showing up and doing the bare minimum.
dumbing down the curriculum

Has anyone here who expounds on the merits of the computer science or engineering fields ever actually worked directly in those areas?

Has anyone here who expounds on the merits of the computer science or engineering fields ever actually worked directly in those areas?
Compensation: Do Engineer make more money than doctors in Silicon Valley?

i have more friends in the field of EECS than those in pharmacy. yes, it is no freaking joke that MANY software engineers make more than a typical family or internal doctor in SV. It wasn't like this until 2015-2016 when the tech scene just exploded, and jobs were coming back with stock market skyrocketing.
directly worked in the area? i doubt ANYONE who did that would ever wanna spend 4 years of life, forefeit their 200k annual compensation package, and then 4 years of outrageous tuition on pharmacy, which makes absolutely no financial sense. most experienced software engineers won't even consider medical school. let alone the lowly pharmacy LOL

Last edited:
Yup. I personally didn't do it but from my class, I knew a few people who did it. I personally went through undergrad with a 2.5 GPA since I didn't take it seriously at all and then transferred to another school to do my prereqs for pharmacy with a 3.9 GPA there. Got in, recently graduated, and passed all my licensure exams as of last week.

Someone with a comp sci degree would have no reason to have a pharmD.

One of my closest friends did comp sci in undergrad, got hired on the spot before he even graduated - he didn't even know how to tie a tie yet. He has worked remotely ever since age 22. Gets to travel the world and work wherever he wants. Gets all the credit card bonuses and does mileage runs which gives him free first class flights all the time. Trades stocks during work. Bought a house in San Francisco (right in the city not some suburb) and plans to pay it off within 10 years. If he chooses, he can go to the office whenever he wants and gets free delicious meals.

So yeah, why would anyone who directly works in that area have anything to do with a pharmacy forum?