pharmacy school requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpax18

almost there
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering where I can find pharmacy school entrance requirements in terms of the classes you need to take. I looked into some of the schools around southern CA like Western U and Loma Linda and find some of their required courses are different. Is there a general requirement or do schools differ from one another, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

School admissoin requirements do vary, but most have similiar admission requirements as medical school - a year of biology, chemistry, organic, physics plus courses in calculus, composition, economics and maybe physcology. In total the minimum credits is usually 64 credits. To know the particular schools requirements, contact them directly.

Just a word of advice, 64 credits is barely enough credits to be succesful. Those in my class with the minimum credits are the ones who have struggled the most. I would suggest a minimum of 3 years, and why not finish the bachelors degree? In my opinion, I think eventually the minimum requirement to pharmacy school should be a bachelors degree, just like med school.

tlh908,do you think that the 64 + credits leave some students ill-prepared to handle the professional Pharmacy curriculum? I thought the science courses would be enough to prepare a student for the professional courses. So would you reccomend supplementing the required pre-reqs with upper level science courses before entering the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kpax18, based on my experience, those with only 64 hours are at a disadvantage. In my class, about 1/2 of the students have a bachelors degree already in the sciences. This means that they can excel because they already have been exposed to some of the material in previous science classes. Those with 64 hours have to work very hard since the material is all new and they haven't developed the study skills that are aquired by studying 4 years of hard sciences. Will those with 64 hours suceed? Yes, but it will be more difficult for them.

These are some great info.
Thanks