Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pharmacy School Summers

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by TMW, Dec 24, 2008.

1. TMW

TMW
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So I'm applying right now to pharmacy school and one thing I'd like to do is spend my summers participating in internships in different areas of pharmacy. Is this reasonable? It seems that most, if not all schools have mandatory summer programs between 3rd and 4th years, but do any allow you to go off and explore in the summers before? The schools I am mostly interested in are USC, UCSD, UCSF and UNC, but I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say. If any current students want to share their summer experiences I'd love to hear what you have to say.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TMW

TMW
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'd be interested in hearing anyone's plans for their summers during school. Anyone have anything in mind?:idea:

4. TMW

TMW
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Maybe I should have posted this under the current pharmacy student section.. Any feedback would be great. I'd enjoy hearing what people's plans are or what they have done.

5. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Each school has various courses to be completed during the summer. I go to a 3yr school - thus our summers are already taken up and there is NO room for extra internships.

Contact each school in question to learn the answer - or hold it and use it as a question for the interview day (remember, interviews are a 2-way street)

~above~

6. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It is my understanding that in order to earn your Pharm.D. you must complete one entire year of rotations. Hence, you begin in June as soon as your third year is up and work your rotations for ONE WHOLE YEAR, then graduate the following June. Therefore you have no summer between P3 and P4.

7. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Well the plan at Touro was to have us do rotations in January 2009 and either June/July/August 2008.

However, since there we started a month late, there are no rotations in January, but we have to choose 2/3 of the summer months to do rotations.

Basically, that leaves no room for any extra internships, and won't allow me to work more hours to get more money during the summer, unless I'm planning on working nights.

Also, it will mean no long-term vacations. A month at the most.

8. IrishRxMan

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Each school is different. My school has us on a block schedule and we don't have to take any classes over the summer, with the exception of between the P2 and P3 year we can take electives or if you bust a class and have to remediate it. Other than that, our summers are pretty free to do with what we want until the P4 year when we start rotations in June sometime.

9. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    At Mercer, unless you have to remediate a class, your summers between P1 and P2, and between P2 and P3 year are open to take internships, work, vacation, etc. I also know some people who are in the joint MBA program who take some of their business classes during the summer. P4 rotations start in late May - we have to work 7 of the 9 available rotation slots, so whether you work all summer or have one of those blocks off is random. I know somebody who was unlucky enough to have both the summer blocks as the two off blocks, so then had to work all the rest of the rotation slots in a row.

10. PharmPrincess

PharmPrincess Hot and smart...damn :)
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Our fourth year is full with rotations and any summer in between are done to finish our electives. The only time we have off is the summer in between P1 and P2 year, but we still have one spring class to take. Now i hear we also may have some kind of workshop to do after this class for the rest of the summer, soooo....it really looks like any extra time that's open in the summer is actually booked full with other obligations.