Pharmacy School : University of Iowa or University of Maryland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mm217

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the pros and cons of both schools? What about the opportunities to get involved with student organizations/volunteer national health trips/community outreach? Also, what about finding a residency after completing the program? I am really struggling which to decide on. Since it is going to be harder to get instate residency for MD and it will be cheaper for me to go to U of Iowa. I just dont want to pass up a better opportunity for a job/connections when I get done. I know that pharamacy has gotten more competitive, and I want to be the best applicant for jobs when I get done.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the pros and cons of both schools? What about the opportunities to get involved with student organizations/volunteer national health trips/community outreach? Also, what about finding a residency after completing the program? I am really struggling which to decide on. Since it is going to be harder to get instate residency for MD and it will be cheaper for me to go to U of Iowa. I just dont want to pass up a better opportunity for a job/connections when I get done. I know that pharamacy has gotten more competitive, and I want to be the best applicant for jobs when I get done.

Thanks for any help.

I am a big Uiowa fan, but I am from Iowa. I know very little about Maryland, but when considering which school is going to make you the most competitive for residency I would say it doesn't matter much as long as you are doing well in your classes and score well on the boards. I would find out which school has higher board rates.

Also, where do you want to live? We are talking about significantly different places. I like Iowa's weather, the environment, and the people. If you are looking for something more urban I would say go to MD.

My last thought on the location is the population. I think generally the Midwest is less affected by economic downturns and has a better job outlook for the medical fields (our population is old). On the other hand, I think from what research I have done that there is a wider array of residency programs out east. So it's all down to your preferences. I don't think going to one school over the other makes you drastically more competitive. But like I said, I don't know much about MD.

If you go to Iowa, we can be classmates...