Pharmacy school with low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigJawn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry for the long post in advance but...

Im a senior in highschool, my grades from first 2 years were great (89%), then fell off last 2 years, i failed accounting and chemistry, and last i checked my gpa was like 77%, but should be higher now since i kept grades above 94%. I am aware extracirricular activites in highschool help in getting accepted into a good college, and although im athletic and play many sports , i had a pneumothorax surgury done 2 times, which affected both my grades and activites. Im a good student, but my grades dont prove it.

So with about a 82.9% gpa and about a 1360 on SATs, i feel as if i wont be accepted into a pharmacy school out of highschool. But i know that by going to community college and completing the pre-reqs, you can get accepted, but its tough. I applied to Rutgers Pharmacy, and plan to do the same for Temple.

sorry for my life story haha, but im confused as to what i could do from here on out, and i want to go to a pharmacy school badly.

ANY advice is welcomed thanks

Members don't see this ad.

44 views please help haha
BUMP

Your best option looks like to do your undergrad (pre-pharmacy) somewhere like Temple and then after a few years apply to Pharmacy school when you have completed all the courses you need to take plus taken the PCAT. With the grades you currently have, it doesn't look good for a 0-6 Pharmacy school like Rutgers. They are very competitive.

You don't have to do a direct 0-6 program. In fact, most schools have a 2+4 program which is exactly the same. I highly recommend opening your options and looking at schools in which you can fit in your pre-reqs in your freshman and sophomore year than apply directly to pharmacy school. This greatly opens up your options! Also, while there sounds like there is a "guarantee" in the 0-6 program, there is not. You still have requirements that must be met because ACPE (the pharmacy accrediting body) does not allow "automatic admission" in programs like Med School does.