Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isabella Jordan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

My name is Isabella Jordan. I posted a while ago about whether I should continue in Pharmacy or not due to feeling very stressed and getting an acid reflux problem. I just wanted to know how other people feel in the Pharmacy Program....has any of you guys felt stressed about anything in Pharmacy and if so how did you deal with it? Did any1 feel constantly stressed...cuz i sort of am....esp with new things? Is any1 in the same boat as me. I know alot of people view this website... and honestly I dont wanna drop...i just wanna a solution. There alot about medical school dropouts..and medical students feeling stressed...but i believe that both medical school and pharmacy school are equally stressful..just more med students actually speak about their stress...so...any comments...is any1 in or was in the same situation as me?????

Honestly, I just wanna be healthy and happy!

Thanks,

IJ

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

My name is Isabella Jordan. I posted a while ago about whether I should continue in Pharmacy or not due to feeling very stressed and getting an acid reflux problem. I just wanted to know how other people feel in the Pharmacy Program....has any of you guys felt stressed about anything in Pharmacy and if so how did you deal with it? Did any1 feel constantly stressed...cuz i sort of am....esp with new things? Is any1 in the same boat as me. I know alot of people view this website... and honestly I dont wanna drop...i just wanna a solution. There alot about medical school dropouts..and medical students feeling stressed...but i believe that both medical school and pharmacy school are equally stressful..just more med students actually speak about their stress...so...any comments...is any1 in or was in the same situation as me?????

Thanks,

IJ

I missed the question. Are you looking for someone to say it is okay to drop out of the pharmacy program? Its okay with everyone here, I would think, if you drop out because you are not happy. Talk to your family and find something you think you will like. You are the only one that can answer any of your questions.

Hey All,

Thanks,

IJ

Have you tried Xanax?

But seriously everyone feels stressed from time to time, if you feel that the stress is too much consider seeking help from a professional. Maybe your school even has someone to help you?

Members don't see this ad :)
No...never tried any meds for anxiety...i'd rather not though just considering the side effects and stuff...i am already taking meds for my stomach though (acid suppresant)..w/o stress i dont really need the meds....with stress..i kind of do...but i am working on that...i just wanted to see if any1 faced a similar experience like mine...or any health struggle due to stress and how did they manage....i know that dropping is not such a good option bc my backup plan doesnt have many jobs right now....actually close to none for fulltime...thanks so far...i hope i sort of find a solution soon

sorry...i know my post sounded a bit biased twds anti-anxiety meds....it not that....i just am already taking 1 medication..i dont really wanna take another...esp if its not medically necessary

thx

No...never tried any meds for anxiety...i'd rather not though just considering the side effects and stuff...i am already taking meds for my stomach though (acid suppresant)..w/o stress i dont really need the meds....with stress..i kind of do...but i am working on that...i just wanted to see if any1 faced a similar experience like mine...or any health struggle due to stress and how did they manage....i know that dropping is not such a good option bc my backup plan doesnt have many jobs right now....actually close to none for fulltime...thanks so far...i hope i sort of find a solution soon

why not try an anti-anxiety med? you sounded like you really need one, considering you keeps reminding people of your one and only health condition, so it's medically necessary.

i see. it seems like dropping out is no longer your option; you know you're in a dire situation.

I missed the question. Are you looking for someone to say it is okay to drop out of the pharmacy program? Its okay with everyone here, I would think, if you drop out because you are not happy. Talk to your family and find something you think you will like. You are the only one that can answer any of your questions.

The OP is looking for words of encouragement (and examples of success of overcoming the obstacles - the health issue and stress from the program).

OP, need some pampering?

i know that taking the antianxiety is a short-term fix...but for something that i gonna do for a great portion of my life (pharmacy)...i sort of want it to be more natural..i want to obtain balance here naturally and normally...and yes i know im in a stuck siutation in terms of the job situation thats why there a good chance i have to stuck with pharm and try to handle the stress better...i am not like freaking out at the edge of my desk...i just trying to see what others have done to deal with the stress and if someone faced a similar situation before..thanks for the advice so far!

If you have that sort of strong, life altering anxiety, it needs to be treated. The stressors will never get better. What will you do when patients' lives are in your hands? You should go to the student mental health clinic and see if you are a candidate for treatment. Something like a daily SSRI might be good for you.

OP, you should make an appointment with a psychiatrist. you're too obsessed with your one and only health condition. this is not normal.

thanks for help...but honestly....im not mentally sick or anything....im just asking if any1 else has been in this situation...

thanks for help...but honestly....im not mentally sick or anything....im just asking if any1 else has been in this situation...

What situation? I don't think anyone here was stressed in Pharm. School or in their jobs... especially retail. There is nothing in either of those that would cause stress. Maybe acid reflux/indigestion is a result of the type of food your eating. Are you seeing it more often with certain types of food? Do you eat late at night? So many questions.... so little time.:)

So far, the very darkest time in my life was during pharmacy school, and that's saying a lot considering the crap that has happened to me this year. While the stress of school didn't help, it wasn't the cause. I had a lot of hell in my family life at that time. I considered a lot of things including dropping out of school, driving off a bridge, or checking into the mental hospital. Instead, I got help through the student mental health center that helped me through that time.

It was a terrible awful life-changing experience but I made it though and I did well. In many ways, I think pharm school was my lifeline to hold onto; when I couldn't control anything else, I could control how I did in school. No one else can tell you what you should do, but I would at least look into some help, usually free for students, first.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Good luck.

wow, to people saying she has a mental issue and needs to start a treatment plan. Op i get really bad acid reflux, when im under alot of stress, which has more to do with my eating habits. When im stressed i eat more junk food. You might be allergic to some of the foods your eating which is causing your acid reflux. I would suggest drinking bottled water (half your body weight), and drinking a tbs of raw acv in a glass of water with every meal, within 30 min before or after a meal. Their is a blood test you can take to see what foods your allergic too, you should definitely go to the clinic at your school. Also try to take time out of your day to do something you enjoy (running, listening to music, laughing with friends) I would also suggest talking to a close friend to reiterate why you want to be a pharmacist and what a great pharmacists you will be. Best of luck:)

Hey All,

I just wanted to say thanks everyone for reviewing and replying.

hereicome2011 - today i just tried acv and it did improve the reflux, but not to perfection. The past few days i have been refluxing quite a bit bc i have to make my decision and man...its just really hard.

Honestly, I dont have a mental issue...I am just upset.....like it took a really long time for me to get into pharmacy school and finally i got in, then from stressing out i got a health problem.......like sometimes i just like why is life so topsy-turvy with me....like people younger than me got in and are just enjoying life and doing it and having a great time....how come i just can't be like them....im a good person and i know that....just life sucks really bad....

i knew that before beginning pharmacy school that it was gonna be hard and that science courses were stressful and stressful for me everysince like third year of university....but it was espeecially difficult b/c i lost alot of confidence at that time....

i dunno...but i do believe in myself and God and I know that **** always happens

I transferred to a pharmacy school in Australia from a US public state university because it's extremely hard for an international student to get admitted to a PharmD program. And I didn't want to go thru the hassle of having to sit for a PCAT, interviews, spending time on extracurriculars(like high school!), asking for letters of recommendation, and other prerequisites. When I applied for the Bachelor of pharmacy in Australia, I was a sophomore in 2005. In 2006, I had to start from the very 1st yr of my pharm school.

Just on a side note, the culture shock was quite a bit more than I expected (e.g. different society and mentality of people, mindset, attitude, lifestyle, systems, political correctness, niche & values, atmostphere etc.) as I lived here for several years. "College"(called "uni" in the British Commonwealth) life in AU is quite different to that of in US - no such thing as frats, no single uni in AU has a stadium, alumni associations aren't very solid, etc. Definitely NOT the 51st state lol.

But these weren't the main part of my stress. So yes of course, academics was the main part. We have no midterm at my pharmacy school, only finals, so everything is cumulative and as you go to the upper years, almost all the exam questions are purely in written essay type or dot point format. One has to study very hard even to just get a passing grade at my uni. Grading system here is also very different, curves(called just 'standardization' here) are almost non-existent. Because of this very "unamerican" or British-like(?) system, I had to put in my full effort to study really really hard and organize everything. But because there's just so much stuff to study for, all the students have to be careful not to fail any subject. And you have to pass almost every component of a subject to pass that subject itself, especially if that particular component is a hurdle requirement. Oh and btw, a 'course' in AU means 'major' in America. And a student can't study for major-minor in AU. You'd have to pick only one or have a double degree.

I use Inderal and/or alprazolam when my anxiety becomes more disruptive.
Hope my 2cents help. Just remember that you're not alone and everyone has tough and good times in their lives. Seriously enough, there's noone who feels constant happiness. Otherwise, that wouldn't be a true human being.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.