Pharmacy schools for High school students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadedpharmer

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In looking through the information of certain schools, such as University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, schools like these are catering more towards the high school applicants. Is it still possible to apply to these schools as a college student? If I submit my high school transcript and AP Scores and SAT scores, even though they are from nearly 4 years ago, would I still be considered for admissions? Or, would I have to apply as a Transfer student since I am a senior in college? I'm a little confused about these schools. Are they exclusively offering admissions to high school students? And for transfer students, if they get accept, they would need to actually transfer to that school? I'm graduating next semester, so if I were to apply as a transfer student, would they just let you start your first year as a college graduate?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot apply as a high school student because you are not a high school student. 6 year schools take students DIRECTLY outta high school and they stay in the program for the entire six years. You must apply as a transfer student cause you are transferring into the Pharmacy School just like you would do with Medical School.

These schools in a way are exclusively for high school students. However they do except transfer students. However, it is EXTREMELY hard because the amount of transfer students that they accept depend on the amount of high school students leave the program b4 their first professional year.

I go to Rutgers which is a 6-year program. I wanted to go the six year route cause its def. safer and cheaper. But since u are going to Graduate route, I would look into UNC. That program is great. I def. would have gone there if they offered a six year program.

Members don't see this ad :)
In looking through the information of certain schools, such as University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, schools like these are catering more towards the high school applicants. Is it still possible to apply to these schools as a college student? If I submit my high school transcript and AP Scores and SAT scores, even though they are from nearly 4 years ago, would I still be considered for admissions? Or, would I have to apply as a Transfer student since I am a senior in college? I'm a little confused about these schools. Are they exclusively offering admissions to high school students? And for transfer students, if they get accept, they would need to actually transfer to that school? I'm graduating next semester, so if I were to apply as a transfer student, would they just let you start your first year as a college graduate?

Thanks.

I go the USP. let me elaborate. You can try to apply as if you are a high school student. I believe because some girls in my class did that. However you have to start at point zero again. Which means you have to take the same classes (math, science, etc) over again. This is because at USP you are considered a transfer student if you bring in more than 18 credit hours or so. You can't transfer into USP pharmacy program.

I go the USP. let me elaborate. You can try to apply as if you are a high school student. I believe because some girls in my class did that. However you have to start at point zero again. Which means you have to take the same classes (math, science, etc) over again. This is because at USP you are considered a transfer student if you bring in more than 18 credit hours or so. You can't transfer into USP pharmacy program.

Yes, that's right.

We have 27-year-olds with bachelors' degrees in our class (I'm a P1) but they had to start as freshmen with introductory english, calc, basically everything a freshman needs to take.

So let us say the following situation.

Somebody has a bachelor's degree with a 2.3 GPA, but was high school valedictorian with a very high SAT.

They cannot get into pharmacy school anywhere because of the 2.3, but with their great high school record, they apply to USP.

Then this implies that they would get into USP, with their outstanding high school record from a long time ago, even though their grades in undergrad were not good. They just have to start over again, as if they were freshman in college.

Is this really correct?

Somebody has a bachelor's degree with a 2.3 GPA, but was high school valedictorian with a very high SAT.

They cannot get into pharmacy school anywhere because of the 2.3, but with their great high school record, they apply to USP.

Then this implies that they would get into USP, with their outstanding high school record from a long time ago, even though their grades in undergrad were not good. They just have to start over again, as if they were freshman in college.

Is this really correct?

I am sure that USP would consider your college work if you went to college after HS, but you are correct in the fact that you'd start as a freshman.
The 27 year olds did get credit for some classes, but USP does not give transfer credit for math and science courses (though it does give AP credit).

Is this really correct?

I dont think so. I never heard of a college student with a bachelor's degree apply to another school as a high student. You are technically transfering to another university. You arent coming outta high school anymore. I think you are supposed to do all ur pre-requistes and then apply to the Pharmacy school where you would start off in P1 (1st professional year).

not only that, but if the student couldn't cut it in undergrad, what makes them think they will handle the curriculum in pharmacy school (with all else being equal). Just food for thought.

from pharmwannebe2's post, it seems like those people even with bachelor degrees applied as a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT and USP let them do that. I agree that repeating those two years are a waste of time, but if someone had a not so good college record and an outstanding high school record, than this could possibly be a good alternative to doing years of postbac trying to raise a 2.-something GPA up to 3 point something with lots of credits.

Transferring to USP is near impossible, and some years they taking no one and other years 1 or 2 people. So applying as a transfer is impossible.

However, it seems like from some of these posts that they DID allow some people with bachelor's degrees to apply to USP as if they were starting over as a freshman. Maybe I have missed something here. But it certainly seems (according to pharmwannebe2) like USP does allow college students to apply to basically start over.

Again, this is advantageous to those people with sub 3 GPA's that had an outstanding high school record.

I can see bad high school grades performing much better in college (I did)... but someone doing extremely well in high school but getting sub < 3.0 GPA in college is questionable.

from pharmwannebe2's post, it seems like those people even with bachelor degrees applied as a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT and USP let them do that. I agree that repeating those two years are a waste of time, but if someone had a not so good college record and an outstanding high school record, than this could possibly be a good alternative to doing years of postbac trying to raise a 2.-something GPA up to 3 point something with lots of credits.

Transferring to USP is near impossible, and some years they taking no one and other years 1 or 2 people. So applying as a transfer is impossible.

However, it seems like from some of these posts that they DID allow some people with bachelor's degrees to apply to USP as if they were starting over as a freshman. Maybe I have missed something here. But it certainly seems (according to pharmwannebe2) like USP does allow college students to apply to basically start over.

Again, this is advantageous to those people with sub 3 GPA's that had an outstanding high school record.

Well I question his post anyway because you simply cannot apply as a HIGH SCHOOL student. You cannot do that.

I believe pharmwannebe2's post to a certain extent. Those individuals could have received their degrees and had to retake some pre-requistes. You cannot use high school grades to get into college. You use ur college grades. Plus Pharmacy is one of the hardest majors out there, so I question such a low GPA in "another" major while expecting to pass Pharmacy school. But check the USP website. It will clear everything up.

Well I question his post anyway because you simply cannot apply as a HIGH SCHOOL student. You cannot do that.

I believe pharmwannebe2's post to a certain extent. Those individuals could have received their degrees and had to retake some pre-requistes. You cannot use high school grades to get into college. You use ur college grades.

I would probably agree with this statement, as someone with a 2.3 in college and a 4.0 in HS wouldn't get in. And pharmwannabe's posts never say that that would happen.

Still, you are in as a college freshman no matter what. Does it really matter if you apply as a HS student or a college student? You apply into your first year of college, that's that. Probably putting down transfer student would be unwise, since USP doesn't accept transfers and probably profits substantially from those who think it does.

So people, stop reading other people's speculations and base your opinion on thoughts of the people who actually go here (me, pharmwannabe and Bacchus). I don't think any of us have seen a transfer into the actual pharmacy program, but neither of us 3 said that your college GPA doesn't matter at all. It's just that it may be easier to get in with a slightly lower GPA.

As I said before, USP does not accept transfer credits for 1st and 2nd year math and science courses, so you'd have to retake all your prereqs except some of the humanities ones you've done.

But I would think that your college GPA would have to be pretty low (like 2.5) for you not to get into USP, just because it admits a lot of people into its program.

I don't even see the OP here anymore. I think he/she got discouraged by the fact that you have to start as a freshman.

Last edited:
From the above posts, I think that this school would be a good option for someone with a mediocre GPA (let us say around 3.0). Instead of wasting time trying to bring the grades up high and ace the PCAT AND gain significant pharmacy experience, one could instead apply as a freshman, and start as a freshman at USP, assuming their high school record was good enough. Think about it. If someone had a 3.0-3.3 in let us say, a business major, with maybe only one science prereq completed (as general education), and was in the top 10% of the high school class with a 1350/1600 SAT (Old system), it would make a lot of sense to be guaranteed a spot into a very-well established program such as USP by simply applying to 0-6. Again, perhaps the 3.2 could be due to an atrocious freshman year. It would make more sense for someone in this situation to apply to USP rather than having to take 2 years of prereqs at another university anyway, and have to do even more work to show their passion through lots of volunteer work and study for PCAT, rather than already being in a program, where if they prove themselves (and I am sure USP drops a lot of people out in the first 2 years), they are advanced to the professional years. I think it takes a lot of dedication to succeed in an 0-6 program. And if someone is very dedicated to becoming a pharmacist, they would not mind taking certain prerequisites again, especially if the grades were mediocre the first time around.

I think this might be a good option for certain applicants in a particular situation.

Again this is just my opinion.

From the above posts, I think that this school would be a good option for someone with a mediocre GPA (let us say around 3.0). Instead of wasting time trying to bring the grades up high and ace the PCAT AND gain significant pharmacy experience, one could instead apply as a freshman, and start as a freshman at USP, assuming their high school record was good enough. Think about it. If someone had a 3.0-3.3 in let us say, a business major, with maybe only one science prereq completed (as general education), and was in the top 10% of the high school class with a 1350/1600 SAT (Old system), it would make a lot of sense to be guaranteed a spot into a very-well established program such as USP by simply applying to 0-6. Again, perhaps the 3.2 could be due to an atrocious freshman year. It would make more sense for someone in this situation to apply to USP rather than having to take 2 years of prereqs at another university anyway, and have to do even more work to show their passion through lots of volunteer work and study for PCAT, rather than already being in a program, where if they prove themselves (and I am sure USP drops a lot of people out in the first 2 years), they are advanced to the professional years. I think it takes a lot of dedication to succeed in an 0-6 program. And if someone is very dedicated to becoming a pharmacist, they would not mind taking certain prerequisites again, especially if the grades were mediocre the first time around.

I think this might be a good option for certain applicants in a particular situation.

Again this is just my opinion.

Agreed to this, if they really want to be a pharmacist that much.

I can only comment on the one 6 year program I researched when I was applying to school (St. Louis COP). The admissions staff there said they "technically" accept transfer students into the 3rd year (of the 6 year program), but that it was only about 1-3 students per year (if that - I believe they said for the past couple of years they had accepted no transfers).

I then asked if I could just "start over" and come in as a 1st year student, just re-taking any courses and he said NO - once you take even one college class, you are no longer eligible to apply as a "new" student, you MUST apply as a transfer student.

I can't speak for all 6 year programs, nor do I know if he was absolutely 100% correct, but I do know that option was taken off the table for me very early.

I would probably agree with this statement, as someone with a 2.3 in college and a 4.0 in HS wouldn't get in. And pharmwannabe's posts never say that that would happen.

Still, you are in as a college freshman no matter what. Does it really matter if you apply as a HS student or a college student? You apply into your first year of college, that's that. Probably putting down transfer student would be unwise, since USP doesn't accept transfers and probably profits substantially from those who think it does.

So people, stop reading other people's speculations and base your opinion on thoughts of the people who actually go here (me, pharmwannabe and Bacchus). I don't think any of us have seen a transfer into the actual pharmacy program, but neither of us 3 said that your college GPA doesn't matter at all. It's just that it may be easier to get in with a slightly lower GPA.

As I said before, USP does not accept transfer credits for 1st and 2nd year math and science courses, so you'd have to retake all your prereqs except some of the humanities ones you've done.

But I would think that your college GPA would have to be pretty low (like 2.5) for you not to get into USP, just because it admits a lot of people into its program.

I don't even see the OP here anymore. I think he/she got discouraged by the fact that you have to start as a freshman.

No offense to you, but just cause u attend University doesnt mean ur more credited. And Im sorry but u CLEARLY are wrong!!!! GO to the tranfer guide at USP and it will tell u everything. Matter of fact here is the site: http://www.usp.edu/Media/Website Resources/documents/applying/transfer_guide.pdf

Im judging from the WEBSITE which is SOMETHING factual. USP does in fact accept transfer credits and they have a whole brochure on ur PRE-REQUISTES and the college u recieved them from.

Also MOST colleges have some type of rule. And its once you recieved a certain amount of college credits you CANNOT apply as a first-year college student.

NOW on the WEBSITE. "Transfer Guide" to be specific. It saids if u havent completely bio, chem, calc, etc. A transfer student can get consideration for FIRST-YEAR entrance. It means that the person would indeed start all over HOWEVER they are STILL a transfer student.

No offense to you, but just cause u attend University doesnt mean ur more credited. And Im sorry but u CLEARLY are wrong!!!! GO to the tranfer guide at USP and it will tell u everything. Matter of fact here is the site: http://www.usp.edu/Media/Website%20Resources/documents/applying/transfer_guide.pdf

Im judging from the WEBSITE which is SOMETHING factual. USP does in fact accept transfer credits and they have a whole brochure on ur PRE-REQUISTES and the college u recieved them from.

Also MOST colleges have some type of rule. And its once you recieved a certain amount of college credits you CANNOT apply as a first-year college student.

NOW on the WEBSITE. "Transfer Guide" to be specific. It saids if u havent completely bio, chem, calc, etc. A transfer student can get consideration for FIRST-YEAR entrance. It means that the person would indeed start all over HOWEVER they are STILL a transfer student.

OK, I'm sorry for being really rude in that post. I was just a little angered by all the speculations.
I was just saying that who cares what your title is (first time or transfer) if you're gonna end up in your 1st year anyway.
Obviously you'd have to put down your college experience. I guess you'd have to put down that you had already been a college student (whatever the exact option for that is, I guess a transfer student).
And I've seen the transfer guide before, but I know reality. Being a 0-6 program, it already has enough of its own students to weed out. Hence, it doesn't accept people into the professional phase from other schools (granted that this could eventually change). As I said, USP has a policy where it doesn't accept math and science courses from other colleges for your first 2 years, so you'd have to retake those (I have experience in this as I took gen. chem 1 at UD and it didn't transfer over despite an A in the course). Now, in principle, this rule would of course be void if you didn't need to take your first 2 years at USP and went straight into the prof. phase, but as I said before, no one, and I repeat, no one gets straight into the professional program.
As Bacchus said, don't bother applying into the professional years. They'll just take your money and that'll be that.
The transfer guide is just one of many of USP's shady business practices.

St.Johns University (in New York)
University of Connecticut
Northeastern
--these are the 3 schools i applied to and got accepted into
but i'm a high school student so....idk if they accept ppl who arent from highschool...
i also know there is MCPHS and albany college of Pharmacy