Pharmacy schools that require 4 year degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TABOULI

none
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any that require a BA/BS? I'm trying to narrow down the application pool. I will have a degree in May of 2010, and I thought if there happens to be a school that requires a degree I will have a better chance at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to my knowledge. All schools that I've looked at have a 2 year prerequisite or accept right out of high school into a 6 year program. Having a BA/BS definitely helps in your application and interview though.

Yes there is. Ohio State requires that you have a degree before you start. You can apply w/o having one but you mus finish it in the spring or summer before school starts.

I think USC also requires one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Touro requires a degree.

Is there any that require a BA/BS? I'm trying to narrow down the application pool. I will have a degree in May of 2010, and I thought if there happens to be a school that requires a degree I will have a better chance at it.

On the flipside, you're probably more competitive for getting into schools that don't require a bachelors, right?

Most people who apply nowadays have a bachelors so it won't make that big of a statistical advantage to apply to degree-requiring programs.

Touro-CA also requires a BA/BS, and pretty much every school in CA has a "soft requirement" for it, even if they don't out-right require it, as between 97 and 100% of all admitted students have one.

Assuming that you did more than just classes for those four years (volunteering, extracurriculars, leadership, etc) you'll automatically be at an advantage at any school you apply to.

Yeah, it's not hugely emphasized (depending on where you live)...as long as you have experience, EC's, decent PCAT score, the pre-reqs then a BS/BA degree is unnecesssary. However, you will have somewhat of an advantage over those without a degree...it's always a plus to have a degree. so add that up!

Just realize that it is a benefit to have a degree (and not a disadvantage)...especially in Biology/Chemistry. You'll have the leg-up in Pharmacy School.

Last edited:
A lot of schools want applicants who either do have a BS/BA or will have one by the time they start pharmacy school, but they do not list it as a requirement yet. I've been told by several schools that this is an unofficial rule at the moment.

At my last interview, we were told that the majority of accepted students had a bachelors degree and it increases every year.

Ive also heard more students are now applying with bachelors degrees. Preference has shifted to those students with more educational experience imo. It makes sense to accept a student with a BS over one with it.

Most people who apply nowadays have a bachelors so it won't make that big of a statistical advantage to apply to degree-requiring programs.

Yes, in fact for certain schools with the soft degree requirements, with the BA/BS degree OP may be just on par with everyone else and even disadvantaged compared to applicants with graduate degrees.

In our class, only one person does not have a BS/BA degree. A lot of people including myself have double majored and even triple majored ! Several have graduate degrees and two have professional degrees.

OP: how do you think you will at an advantage if only applying to schools that require degree ? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to apply to schools that do not require degree so you can stand out more ?

Last edited: