Pharmacy Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy32145

Reaction score
why do some pharmacy schools extend their deadline? There was a school that posted the original deadline, and a day after the deadline they extended it for two months. Why is that?

Members don't see this ad.

why do some pharmacy schools extend their deadline? There was a school that posted the original deadline, and a day after the deadline they extended it for two months. Why is that?

Some programs extend for the following reasons:

1) Not enough applications to meet the programs' academic threshold (no point in accepting students if they fail and the program doesn't get paid)

2) Not enough applicants

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They can't find enough suckers to take $200,000 from.

Reactions: 4 users
They’re very desperate to fill vacant spots, and they’ll take anyone who can minimally pass their courses. Perhaps the number of applicants have dropped as folks are starting to understand the oversaturated pharmacist job market.

Smart students are choosing not to go to pharmacy school because they realize it's not worth spending $200k+ and another 4 years of their lives in school only to be faced with poor job prospects, pay, autonomy, work conditions, and overall respect from the public. They are going for medicine, engineering, computer science, finance, the trades (plumbing, electric, etc), etc. because these professions tend to offer more money and fulfilling careers while most require less debt and schooling.

Thus schools are getting desperate to fill their seats. If they don't then that means less tuition money and they'll have to either lower their standards to allow more students to enroll, or close down.

Reactions: 2 users
Smart students are choosing not to go to pharmacy school because they realize it's not worth spending $200k+ and another 4 years of their lives in school only to be faced with poor job prospects, pay, autonomy, work conditions, and overall respect from the public. They are going for medicine, engineering, computer science, finance, the trades (plumbing, electric, etc), etc. because these professions tend to offer more money and fulfilling careers while most require less debt and schooling.

Thus schools are getting desperate to fill their seats. If they don't then that means less tuition money and they'll have to either lower their standards to allow more students to enroll, or close down.
I wouldve disagreed if i read this back in 2012 when i started school but man so much has happened since then.

There is no way schools werent aware of this chaos that has taken place in the past 3-4 years but they still let it happen. Why? Money. Period. They still accepted as many students as they could and concealed the truth about what they already knew about market saturation.

I love my profession and my job but if you ask me if its a good idea to go to pharmacy school right now, my answer will be a fauq no. Wait maybe 10-15 years when market had time to correct itself. Cant promise ill get better tho.

I wouldve disagreed if i read this back in 2012 when i started school but man so much has happened since then.

There is no way schools werent aware of this chaos that has taken place in the past 3-4 years but they still let it happen. Why? Money. Period. They still accepted as many students as they could and concealed the truth about what they already knew about market saturation.

I love my profession and my job but if you ask me if its a good idea to go to pharmacy school right now, my answer will be a fauq no. Wait maybe 10-15 years when market had time to correct itself. Cant promise ill get better tho.

The market is correcting itself now. Pharmacists have been overpaid for over a decade. That's why wages are coming back down to reality.

Reactions: 1 user
The market is correcting itself now. Pharmacists have been overpaid for over a decade. That's why wages are coming back down to reality.

As wages continue to decrease, the value proposition of spending at least six years in school will make no sense. Time will tell if the PharmD was only meant to exist alongside a six figure salary.

As wages continue to decrease, the value proposition of spending at least six years in school will make no sense. Time will tell if the PharmD was only meant to exist alongside a six figure salary.

Only when there was a shortage 15 years ago. Now that there is an oversupply, a PharmD will be worth less each passing year.

Only when there was a shortage 15 years ago. Now that there is an oversupply, a PharmD will be worth less each passing year.
Yeah. Each year number of pharmacist jobs and retirees decline while number of actively job searching pharmacists grow. I know I was naive when I went to pharmacy school 10 years ago, but current pharmacy school candidates have no excuse to make once they realize their life is screwed.

There was the promise that provider status would be implemented on a large scale so schools cashed in and doubled the number of students entering the pharmacist workforce in a span of 10-15 years. Most of these roles ended up going to the PAs and NPs. With provider status being a flop (as it has for the last 20-30 years) and chains closing and consolidating all of these new grads ended up being trained for jobs that had not yet existed, do not exist today, and will likely never exist.

Back in the days early 1990's- 2000's, Bachelor degree used to mean jobs, connections, experience... Now with all the "get educated" movement... Bachelor degree has turned into the new high school diploma. Even PT's, Nurses everything has turned into "Doctors"...

With more and more professional schools opening up.. I have a feeling that advanced educational degrees will become obsolete...

Back in the days early 1990's- 2000's, Bachelor degree used to mean jobs, connections, experience... Now with all the "get educated" movement... Bachelor degree has turned into the new high school diploma. Even PT's, Nurses everything has turned into "Doctors"...

With more and more professional schools opening up.. I have a feeling that advanced educational degrees will become obsolete...

You cannot and will not educate yourself to prosperity.
Hard work, hustle, innovation, and creativity will lead to prosperity.