Pharmacy "sick out" on 12/20/21

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will you be calling in sick on 12/20?

• Yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is a "sick out" day that will be happening tomorrow to protest unsafe staffing levels at retail pharmacies. Will you be participating?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I don’t work tomorrow so I can’t. I also don’t work in retail so I suppose this isn’t for me.

I am kinda surprised I haven’t heard about it though. How is the word getting out? I am in several pharmacist groups on Facebook but haven’t heard a peep about this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
APHA released a statement about it, saying they don't support the sick-out. There is a huge conflict of interest there, the president of APHA is a senior VP at CVS health.

Reactions: 4 users
I will be calling in sick on 12/20. Scew CVS.

It's my week off so I'm not working anyway. And I'm not in retail.

They didn't do a good job advertising this. I asked some of my pharmacist friends and they didn't know about it. I only heard about it yesterday. They should have blew this up on the news.

It's my week off so I'm not working anyway. And I'm not in retail.

They didn't do a good job advertising this. I asked some of my pharmacist friends and they didn't know about it. I only heard about it yesterday. They should have blew this up on the news.
This is why when people ask me to start an advocacy group, I decline. We have no strong identity or ability to assemble.

So did this walk out or sick out happen today?

Was off today anyways. I just wished DM would do something about people not willing to take on an extra shift in their own store.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anybody see anyplace that actually had people call in? I work hospital, and didn't work, but we didn't - and my local walgreens right by my house was open when I stopped by

Sounds like all talky no walky.

Reactions: 1 users
God damn, I sure as hell won't be missing retail...not just the customers, but constantly being surrounded by co-workers who constantly bring EVERYONE down with their attitudes/behaviors/immaturity/negative outlook on life. **** like this is a prime example for those of us who constantly get stuck cleaning up messes

but constantly being surrounded by co-workers who constantly bring EVERYONE down with their attitudes/behaviors/immaturity/negative outlook on life. **** like this is a prime example for those of us who constantly get stuck cleaning up messes

This too. I got complained on by a 1 or 2 techs at a store I dont normally work at....for what? absolutley nothing. I just dont hold peoples hand and say it is what it is and move on. And after I find out...its just petty high school crap. Of course THEIR pharmaicst takes their side. So I wont bend over backwards or offer to help them out anymore. If anything, I sat back to see if they follow procedure: nope, eating in pharmacy, drinking pop in pharmacy, whipping out cell phones playing on them....and theres more.!! All that tells me is that THEIR pharmacist allows this for it to occur so naturally. Cant wait to see my DM and say...is this allowed? LOL

This too. I got complained on by a 1 or 2 techs at a store I dont normally work at....for what? absolutley nothing. I just dont hold peoples hand and say it is what it is and move on. And after I find out...its just petty high school crap. Of course THEIR pharmaicst takes their side. So I wont bend over backwards or offer to help them out anymore. If anything, I sat back to see if they follow procedure: nope, eating in pharmacy, drinking pop in pharmacy, whipping out cell phones playing on them....and theres more.!! All that tells me is that THEIR pharmacist allows this for it to occur so naturally. Cant wait to see my DM and say...is this allowed? LOL
Same here...it's rather odd environment how everyone turns on you, will stab you in the back, & get extremely defensive for attempting to correct behaviors involving cell phone use, having headphone/earbud in whilst "working", eating while "working", etc. ****ing high school drama. Not enough RPhs with backbones/just let **** happen to avoid HR (colleague back stabbing for petty ****)

Same here...it's rather odd environment how everyone turns on you, will stab you in the back, & get extremely defensive for attempting to correct behaviors involving cell phone use, having headphone/earbud in whilst "working", eating while "working", etc. ****ing high school drama. Not enough RPhs with backbones/just let **** happen to avoid HR (colleague back stabbing for petty ****)
I like having earbuds in while working, eating while working, and drinking soda while working.

Cell phone use I am ok with on a limited bases as long as it doesn’t effect work too much. This is one where people can take it way too far imo.

Reactions: 3 users
I like having earbuds in while working, eating while working, and drinking soda while working.

Cell phone use I am ok with on a limited bases as long as it doesn’t effect work too much. This is one where people can take it way too far imo.
Earbuds drive me crazy in customer facing positions. Other than that, I agree.

My only real gripe about mandatory face masks is that I can no longer eat/drink at my computer.

Reactions: 1 users
Earbuds drive me crazy in customer facing positions. Other than that, I agree.

My only real gripe about mandatory face masks is that I can no longer eat/drink at my computer.
I understand the idea of it looking bad in customer facing positions but I also think it’s kinda like wearing jeans at work. It’s just something that most people think is normal now and not a big deal most of the time.

It’s also a bit unfair that people with long hair can cover up their ears but not people with short hair. I mean life is also not fair but I think it’s worth mentioning.

The Pharmacy world seems to be in a dark, dark place lately

The Pharmacy world seems to be in a dark, dark place lately
been that way for a while.....even RPh...do petty crap as well. Had one that complained on me and said I wasnt doing enough LOL....went back into the system and pulled days where I worked with said RPh that complained...pulled the numbers...made a spreadsheet......way beyond sad how much I was doing while the other RPH was doing less.🤬.....pulled the dates ....to my DM and said......hmmmm...guess when its like this no complaints huh?....even on the day was complaining on me, I still did more :rolleyes:...sadly I didnt complain on his performance because I knew nothing would be done.

Dont assume because I dont complain that there isnt anything wrong/or unfair. I just know what reality is. What blows my mind is when someone wants to complain on me.......said pharmacist needs to look into the mirror and look at their numbers and making sure no one is breaking policy.

been that way for a while.....even RPh...do petty crap as well. Had one that complained on me and said I wasnt doing enough LOL....went back into the system and pulled days where I worked with said RPh that complained...pulled the numbers...made a spreadsheet......way beyond sad how much I was doing while the other RPH was doing less.🤬.....pulled the dates ....to my DM and said......hmmmm...guess when its like this no complaints huh?....even on the day was complaining on me, I still did more :rolleyes:...sadly I didnt complain on his performance because I knew nothing would be done.

Dont assume because I dont complain that there isnt anything wrong/or unfair. I just know what reality is. What blows my mind is when someone wants to complain on me.......said pharmacist needs to look into the mirror and look at their numbers and making sure no one is breaking policy.

My old store used to tell me I need to step up my game. I always left the queue empty in the morning. Did everything I possibly could. The week after I quit, I came in to return my store key and the morning shift was buried behind stacks and stacks of unverified refills LoL.

Reactions: 2 users
I find the whole earbud & cell phone thing disrespectful when it comes to communication & dividing attention. It's one thing if tech is designated to do one task not involving interaction (truck, waiting bin scans, etc.) but annoying AF when you have to repeat yourself multiple times and question whether person understood something or not (might as well be an old person who can't hear during a phone call)

Have had to personally take a few techs aside and tell them to not eat in front of me (would get so close to me, I can smell what he/she is eating...just ****ing disrespectful and rude AF...yeah talking while eating. I am dead ****ing serious.)

I find the whole earbud & cell phone thing disrespectful when it comes to communication & dividing attention. It's one thing if tech is designated to do one task not involving interaction (truck, waiting bin scans, etc.) but annoying AF when you have to repeat yourself multiple times and question whether person understood something or not (might as well be an old person who can't hear during a phone call)

Have had to personally take a few techs aside and tell them to not eat in front of me (would get so close to me, I can smell what he/she is eating...just ****ing disrespectful and rude AF...yeah talking while eating. I am dead ****ing serious.)
You must be super fun to work with. Ill hate to be your techs or fellow.pharmacist.

• Haha
I didn’t hear of anybody participating. Seems about right.

I’ve always tried to make our pharmacy staff feel like family, one of the perks of working at a small chain and then an independent. But I’ve definitely experienced the shock of high school drama when you’re floating somewhere and ruffle feathers.

One location: the techs just talked all day. Barely typed. Only pulled product and handed it to the pharmacists to count. And talk and talk.

You could hear a pin drop when I interrupted a story with “hey, there’s more than 100 in Data Entry… mind typing while talking?”

• Wow
Yeah, I wear ear buds while I'm working also. I'm used to working alone but when they hired on a 2nd overnighter I got annoyed because this person constantly asks me questions and I have to keep taking my ear buds out instead of the guy figuring it out on his own the way I did when I started overnights.

It’s also a bit unfair that people with long hair can cover up their ears but not people with short hair. I mean life is also not fair but I think it’s worth mentioning.

Well, short-haired people can always get a wig to wear when they are at work, so sounds like a good work around.