Pharmacy Staffing ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can we expect when we apply as a pharmacist to staffing companies; not to a specific job application; but as an employee ?
I mean what is their procedure for employing you?
Do we sign a contract saying that we agree to take up any job that they feel fit?? Is any training provided?
Can we choose which place or which shift works for us etc etc?

In short,I have no idea at all how they function. Can anyone shed some light ? Also since there are so many staffing agencies out there, which are the more credible ones??

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What can we expect when we apply as a pharmacist to staffing companies; not to a specific job application; but as an employee ?
Do we sign a contract saying that we agree to take up any job that they feel fit?? Is any training provided?

In short,I have no idea at all how they function. Can anyone shed some light ? Also since there are so many staffing agencies out there, which are the more credible ones??

Thanks.

They are all different. I have worked with one since 2008 called PharmStat here in Texas. I have had a great experience. In 2008 they called me once or twice a week. I turned down more jobs than I took. Of course I was also a full time retail pharmacy manager just looking to pick up a couple extra shifts here and there.

When the economy really went to hell in 2009 they stopped calling. I went a year before they called again. It has been real sporadic since then. I think that is the bottom line. With the surplus of pharmacists there really isnt a big need for staffing agencies. The calls I get now are mainly for emergency fill in work. They will call Monday at 4pm and want to know if I can work a shift 4 hours away the next morning. With a full time job thats not the kind of relief work I can do.

Like I said they are all different. I would hesitate to sign a contract. Remember if you are looking for full time work any place you work at with a staffing agency will have to pay the agecy if they hire you. Most places will not do that.

They are all different. I have worked with one since 2008 called PharmStat here in Texas. I have had a great experience. In 2008 they called me once or twice a week. I turned down more jobs than I took. Of course I was also a full time retail pharmacy manager just looking to pick up a couple extra shifts here and there.

When the economy really went to hell in 2009 they stopped calling. I went a year before they called again. It has been real sporadic since then. I think that is the bottom line. With the surplus of pharmacists there really isnt a big need for staffing agencies. The calls I get now are mainly for emergency fill in work. They will call Monday at 4pm and want to know if I can work a shift 4 hours away the next morning. With a full time job thats not the kind of relief work I can do.

Like I said they are all different. I would hesitate to sign a contract. Remember if you are looking for full time work any place you work at with a staffing agency will have to pay the agecy if they hire you. Most places will not do that.

Hey!

How's the PBM world treating you, still enjoying it?

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

I don't use them. We have a contract with one but I haven't used them since coming on board. When there's a hole, I go to the PRNs, if no takers, allow 1.5x overtime, if still no takers, I fill in myself. Agency is absolutely the last resort. You are pretty much paying alot of money just to meet legal requirement, and praying they don't screw things up too much.

Last edited: