Pharmacy student, 3.5cGPA, 3.4sGPA, 35 MCAT - Schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTAfoHIRE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY Pharm.D. student, with residency in NJ, immigrant, bilingual, not URM
MCAT has a nice breakdown
GPA been constant throughout school

ECs
-Worked at least one job all throughout college. Did two/three jobs at once at certain points. Work at two jobs currently. Work was at two hospitals and one community pharmacy. 10+ years of combined work experience. Pharmacy work but very clinically based
-Blood Drive Coordinator 2 years
-Community volunteer organization 2 years
-Clinical research - one summer, analyzed antibiotic use in the hospital, rounded with docs
-Lab research - 2.5 years, work included on grad student PhD thesis, two posters
-Tutor for a semester
-Shadowing 50+, hosp volunteer 30
-Community clinical project group: took pts blood pressure, blood sugar readings
-Art history trip to germany, drawing class in large art history college

School List:

-NJMS and RWJ (state schools)
-Drexel
-Temple
-Jefferson
-NYMC
-SUNY Downstate ?
-Rochester ?

Reach:
-Einstein
-NYU
-Sinai
-Columbia
-Cornell

Im not particularly concerned about money so I will probably throw in a bunch more reach schools just for the hell of it. Im hoping my pharmacy background, good MCAT, and extensive work experience will net me a few reach interviews.

But I am mostly focused on my match/safety schools. Ive heard drexel and NYMC get a ton of applicants. Can you guys suggest schools to replace these two? As you can see from my list im not looking to travel too far.

Members don't see this ad.

NY Pharm.D. student, with residency in NJ, immigrant, bilingual, not URM
MCAT has a nice breakdown
GPA been constant throughout school

ECs
-Worked at least one job all throughout college. Did two/three jobs at once at certain points. Work at two jobs currently. Work was at two hospitals and one community pharmacy. 10+ years of combined work experience. Pharmacy work but very clinically based
-Blood Drive Coordinator 2 years
-Community volunteer organization 2 years
-Clinical research - one summer, analyzed antibiotic use in the hospital, rounded with docs
-Lab research - 2.5 years, work included on grad student PhD thesis, two posters
-Tutor for a semester
-Shadowing 50+, hosp volunteer 30
-Community clinical project group: took pts blood pressure, blood sugar readings
-Art history trip to germany, drawing class in large art history college

School List:

-NJMS and RWJ (state schools)
-Drexel
-Temple
-Jefferson
-NYMC
-SUNY Downstate ?
-Rochester ?

Reach:
-Einstein
-NYU
-Sinai
-Columbia
-Cornell

Im not particularly concerned about money so I will probably throw in a bunch more reach schools just for the hell of it. Im hoping my pharmacy background, good MCAT, and extensive work experience will net me a few reach interviews.

But I am mostly focused on my match/safety schools. Ive heard drexel and NYMC get a ton of applicants. Can you guys suggest schools to replace these two? As you can see from my list im not looking to travel too far.
You might look into UMaryland, UConn, and UVermont, which all have a decent OOS matriculation rate. Cooper?

You might look into UMaryland, UConn, and UVermont, which all have a decent OOS matriculation rate. Cooper?

I dont know if this is a silly concern but looking at last years Cooper thread I saw a lot of people with higher MCATs getting denied pre-interview. It seemed like, at least to me, that Cooper was denying people who they thought would not end up attending their school. Im not trying to be cocky at all, but I was a bit afraid that I might be denied because of my MCAT.

Your other suggestions are much appreciated!

Would you recommend taking drexel and nymc off the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know if this is a silly concern but looking at last years Cooper thread I saw a lot of people with higher MCATs getting denied pre-interview. It seemed like, at least to me, that Cooper was denying people who they thought would not end up attending their school. Im not trying to be cocky at all, but I was a bit afraid that I might be denied because of my MCAT.

Your other suggestions are much appreciated!

Would you recommend taking drexel and nymc off the list?

The SDN application threads are a pretty small sample size of all applicants. I think it's worth the risk to apply.