Pharmacy Student Jobs

Started by amgen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amgen

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi sdners, I've been trying to get some pharmacy experience for months now. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a pharmacy job/volunteer experience? I've dropped off over 30 resumes and not a single call back

-I finished 1 year of pharmacy and I have finished 3 years of my regular BSc (in economics and pharmco) with no retail experience, the closest thing is my experience at a drug company working in their gov reg dept
-I talk to the phm managers but they won't take volunteers because of company policies & liability issues (same reason rules out all hospital positions)

Any help/tips would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!🙂
 
Last edited:
Hi sdners, I've been trying to get some pharmacy experience for months now. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a pharmacy job/volunteer experience? I've dropped off over 30 resumes and not a single call back

-I finished 1 year of pharmacy and I have finished 3 years of my regular BSc (in economics and pharmco) with no retail experience, the closest thing is my experience at a drug company working in their gov reg dept
-I talk to the phm managers but they won't even volunteers because of company policy

Any help/tips would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!🙂

Is your grammar the same on your applications? On the internets, no big deal. On an application, big deal.

:luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I talk to the phm managers but they won't take volunteers because of company policies & liability issues (same reason rules out all hospital positions)🙂

Hospitals generally DO have volunteers..granted some things will be off limits in the pharmacy (mixing IV, replenishing Pyxis etc.)
 
Hi sdners, I've been trying to get some pharmacy experience for months now. Does anyone have any tips on how to get a pharmacy job/volunteer experience? I've dropped off over 30 resumes and not a single call back

-I finished 1 year of pharmacy and I have finished 3 years of my regular BSc (in economics and pharmco) with no retail experience, the closest thing is my experience at a drug company working in their gov reg dept
-I talk to the phm managers but they won't take volunteers because of company policies & liability issues (same reason rules out all hospital positions)

Any help/tips would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!🙂

With regard to retail volunteering, are you looking past the big chains? A smaller independent pharmacy might be more accommodating.
 
Hospitals generally DO have volunteers..granted some things will be off limits in the pharmacy (mixing IV, replenishing Pyxis etc.)

not any hospitals i've worked at/been through. If they do take volunteers, it's more of a nursing/general clinical experience upstairs. I think they used to be called candy stripers, but i dunno if that's even a PC term anymore (who cares, anyway?)

your best bet is via a personal reference, that's pretty much how 85% of hospital interns i know got their jobs.
 
At this point in the summer, I am getting pretty desperate, I've been to at least 50 pharmacies 🙁

Maybe some tips on what to say in person or in a cold call?

I was thinking of reaching out to some rural hospitals, would the hiring there be done by a pharmacy manager like in retail or by some member of management/hr?

thanks
 
Last edited:
At this point in the summer, I am getting pretty desperate, I've been to at least 50 pharmacies 🙁

Maybe some tips on what to say in person or in a cold call?

This is what I've been doing so far, let me know if there's any spot I should improve/change:
1) ask for manager 2) introduce myself, school that I go to 3) ask if any positions 4) if no, ask for volunteer?
5) if no, drop a resume. handshake+thank
6) no call back, follow up 1-2 weeks later and most of the time, forgot about me and still no position.....and again, no job

I was thinking of reaching out to some rural hospitals, would the hiring there be done by a pharmacy manager like in retail or by some member of management/hr?

thanks

Usually called a Director of Pharmacy, or DOP. Yes they do the hiring, but human resources is quite a bit more involved in the hiring possess vs retail. Have fun with that.

Good Luck! :luck: