1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pharmacy student paid during rotation?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by LFB, Feb 22, 2007.

1. LFB

LFB
    2+ Year Member

I would be a pharmacy student this fall. Just curious whether P4 students are paid during their rotation (not intern).

2. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No, of course not.

3. genesis09

genesis09 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You're paying for the honor of working.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    At least sometimes its less than the previous semesters.

5. twester

twester Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think we'll pay the same tuition (if it hasn't increased by 25-30% by then) for a full year of rotations - but we also have the pleasure of paying a $200 externship fee. I guess Dr. Turner's gotta eat. :confused: :laugh:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dig0

Dig0 New Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm curious to know how living arrangements are worked out as you go from place to place - where do you live for 4-5 weeks at a time?

7. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Some schools allow rotation sites to pay you. Even at those schools just a handful of sites pay. Some schools will tell you who pays, others don't tell you until after you have selected sites.

8. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Wow, I've never heard of that! That would certainly be a pleasant surprise if someone wanted to pay me. :thumbup:

9. npage148

npage148 Senior Member
    PhD Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    At UB, no one gets any compensation. Its explicitly forbiden in the handbook

10. genesis09

genesis09 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No, I wish. I have to pay more because I have to pay for summer semester, and that's an extra few thousand dollars.

11. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Ahhh...rotations....

Being someone's b*tch for X number of weeks, and then turning around and being someone else's b*tch for another X number of weeks.

12. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Rotations. A full year of kissing ass for a living....oh, wait, no, paying to kiss ass, sorry.

13. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We pay the same tuition for rotations as for any other semester. Our tuition is a set fee for the PharmD curriculum, it's not based on credit hours.

14. LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat LiveLoveFartRepeat
    Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    it's official..I am changing school...plz tell me the schools that allow student to be payed during rotations. I will make up a family situation to ask for a transfer..:)

15. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd

Pharmacist
    University of Washington does. But, after someone lined up all paid rotations a couple of years ago, they stopped telling students which ones pay pre-selection. Now, the only way to know which of their rotations pay is to talk to students from previous years, or to arrange one through your current employer if they pay.

16. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator

Pharmacist
    Our school forbids any type of payment. We also have to pay for three semesters instead of just two, so that's an extra $9000 or so for that year. Still, I'm looking forward to it because I can do all of my rotations in the city where I live instead of in the city where my school is.

17. LiveLoveFartRepeat

LiveLoveFartRepeat LiveLoveFartRepeat
    Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Make it 18 months of kissing ass for me.

My school wants to have us do more rotations that any school in the entire country. We start the advanced rotations on Jan 08 and we won't graduate t'ill May 09. At first, the idea sounded really good ..but now the idea of going that long without a substancial income..:mad:

18. Moxxie

Moxxie Rained out
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is how ISU does it, too. What's nice is that the rotation sites can be all over - Boise, Pocatello, Reno, plus some other small towns in Idaho. It gives the students that commute a chance to live at home, or in my case, to live with their SO.

19. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator

Pharmacist
    Yep, my husband and I are already sick of the half-time commuting/half-time staying at school routine. Come on, fourth year!

20. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That sucks. I thought we had it bad with 11 months of rotations. How many years is your school? We had the summers off between years 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. If we added another 7 months of rotations, then it would be 4 years of straight school without any breaks! Are they trying to kill you?

21. honeykrown

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Then i believe they are given the real meaning to "four year pharmacy curriculum"