Pharmacy student paid during rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would be a pharmacy student this fall. Just curious whether P4 students are paid during their rotation (not intern).

Members don't see this ad.

I would be a pharmacy student this fall. Just curious whether P4 students are paid during their rotation (not intern).

No, of course not.

You're paying for the honor of working.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least sometimes its less than the previous semesters.

I think we'll pay the same tuition (if it hasn't increased by 25-30% by then) for a full year of rotations - but we also have the pleasure of paying a $200 externship fee. I guess Dr. Turner's gotta eat. :confused: :laugh:

I'm curious to know how living arrangements are worked out as you go from place to place - where do you live for 4-5 weeks at a time?

Some schools allow rotation sites to pay you. Even at those schools just a handful of sites pay. Some schools will tell you who pays, others don't tell you until after you have selected sites.

Wow, I've never heard of that! That would certainly be a pleasant surprise if someone wanted to pay me. :thumbup:

At least sometimes its less than the previous semesters.
No, I wish. I have to pay more because I have to pay for summer semester, and that's an extra few thousand dollars.

Ahhh...rotations....

Being someone's b*tch for X number of weeks, and then turning around and being someone else's b*tch for another X number of weeks.

We pay the same tuition for rotations as for any other semester. Our tuition is a set fee for the PharmD curriculum, it's not based on credit hours.

University of Washington does. But, after someone lined up all paid rotations a couple of years ago, they stopped telling students which ones pay pre-selection. Now, the only way to know which of their rotations pay is to talk to students from previous years, or to arrange one through your current employer if they pay.

Our school forbids any type of payment. We also have to pay for three semesters instead of just two, so that's an extra $9000 or so for that year. Still, I'm looking forward to it because I can do all of my rotations in the city where I live instead of in the city where my school is.

Rotations. A full year of kissing ass for a living....oh, wait, no, paying to kiss ass, sorry.

Make it 18 months of kissing ass for me.

My school wants to have us do more rotations that any school in the entire country. We start the advanced rotations on Jan 08 and we won't graduate t'ill May 09. At first, the idea sounded really good ..but now the idea of going that long without a substancial income..:mad:

Our school forbids any type of payment. We also have to pay for three semesters instead of just two, so that's an extra $9000 or so for that year. Still, I'm looking forward to it because I can do all of my rotations in the city where I live instead of in the city where my school is.

This is how ISU does it, too. What's nice is that the rotation sites can be all over - Boise, Pocatello, Reno, plus some other small towns in Idaho. It gives the students that commute a chance to live at home, or in my case, to live with their SO.

This is how ISU does it, too. What's nice is that the rotation sites can be all over - Boise, Pocatello, Reno, plus some other small towns in Idaho. It gives the students that commute a chance to live at home, or in my case, to live with their SO.

Yep, my husband and I are already sick of the half-time commuting/half-time staying at school routine. Come on, fourth year!

Make it 18 months of kissing ass for me.

My school wants to have us do more rotations that any school in the entire country. We start the advanced rotations on Jan 08 and we won't graduate t'ill May 09. At first, the idea sounded really good ..but now the idea of going that long without a substancial income..:mad:

That sucks. I thought we had it bad with 11 months of rotations. How many years is your school? We had the summers off between years 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. If we added another 7 months of rotations, then it would be 4 years of straight school without any breaks! Are they trying to kill you?

That sucks. I thought we had it bad with 11 months of rotations. How many years is your school? We had the summers off between years 1 & 2 and 2 & 3. If we added another 7 months of rotations, then it would be 4 years of straight school without any breaks! Are they trying to kill you?

Then i believe they are given the real meaning to "four year pharmacy curriculum"