Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pharmacy students and working????????

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by psurocks, Dec 2, 2008.

1. psurocks

psurocks Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    work as a pharmacy intern on the side....tats wat i did, 10 hours each sat, + 2 hour driving time each way.....its hard, time management is key...but workin in a pharmacy will help retain the stuff u learn in class

and tat xtra cash on the side doesnt hurt either

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DarknessFalls

Pharmacy Student
    +1

You can work and go to school but you really have to budget your time. I worked for a retail company while going to school. I made it clear that if they scheduled me for more hours than we initially agreed to that I would quit. In the end I quit. :thumbdown:

4. girllein

Removed

Pharmacy Student
    Consider getting a job in a pharmacy now, hospital or retail. It will make the transition easier if you get into pharmacy school. You will already be familiar with the company, how the prescription process works, etc. Check with your local board of pharmacy about how to obtain an intern license when the time comes. :xf:

5. JOE THE PHARMER

Pre-Pharmacy
    psurocks,girllein and DarknessFalls I thank u guys plenty!!!!!! :thumbup:

6. rx515

5+ Year Member

I worked as an Intern during my p1, p2, some of my p3 year. You can make pretty good money depending on the market ($15 plus and hour). In most states you can get an intern license after you first year in pharm school and in others you can get it right away. Working in a pharmacy is nice because you will get patient interaction though counseling and such and also exposure/reinforcement to medications. I tried to do one shift a week (6-8h) and never worked the night before an exam. I also TAed for a semester so that might be another option. Some of my friends did other things like wait tables or bar tend in order to escape pharmacy for bit though. I think it is definitely doable to work during school as long as you don't overdo it or let your pharmacy bully you into working more hours than youre comfortable with.

7. pharmwannebe2

pharmwannebe2 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    OK i definately know where you are coming from. last semster. I worked every other saturday at my pharmacy (9am-7pm). I wouldn't have mind so much but I also had a TEST every tuesday of the following week.....no much studying that can be done.

This up coming semster she is switching me to every other saturday and sunday

Is that too much working?!? i wouldn't mind if there is no tests on tuesday. however, she will throw a hissy fit and probably talk to my DM about it if I tell her

What should i DO?

8. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, I would think other students worked more.

I work 20-25hrs a week between two jobs and volunteer 10hrs a week. And I still have a 3.9+.

I still have time to play and sleep, etc.

I always figured it was the norm that students worked 15hrs a week.

Oh, well....

9. 117296

117296 Guest

Pharmacy Student
    Make your own decision based on your specific situation. :thumbup: You know better than anyone here on what you can handle or not handle.