Pharmacy Tech Interview!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaun786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Omg I just talked to the Pharmacy Manager at my local Wal-Greens and I have a interview on Wednesday! :D After all that searching!! FINALLY!! but now that I landed the interview im kind of nervous about the interview itself... Can anyone give me some advice or anything I should know before walking into the Pharmacy on Wednesday for the Interview? Also, how is Wal-Greens compared to other major retail Pharmacies?

Members don't see this ad.

Omg I just talked to the Pharmacy Manager at my local Wal-Greens and I have a interview on Wednesday! :D After all that searching!! FINALLY!! but now that I landed the interview im kind of nervous about the interview itself... Can anyone give me some advice or anything I should know before walking into the Pharmacy on Wednesday for the Interview? Also, how is Wal-Greens compared to other major retail Pharmacies?

If the pharmacy manager is interviewing you, they will most likely ask you basic questions about customer service:
- How do you handle yourself under stress? Name a time when you were under pressure and you succeeded?
- What are your goals/aspirations?

The questions themselves shouldn't be too difficult... I'd at least have a good reason for why you're wanting the experience. They will also ask you for your availability - you will probably get asked to work weekends/nights if you are the newest technician, so if you're really desperate for the pharmacy job, make sure you're availability is wide open. Otherwise, just be confident and concise and you'll be just fine. Best of luck!

to OP,

Check out:

http://bhuvans.wordpress.com/2006/08/19/50-common-interview-qa/

You can thank me later. I personally read through all the tips and all the comment. I read it to prepare for 2 job interview that I went to and I got both job offers.

On a side note:

I was lucky enough to get a pharmacy tech job without an interview. They just called me one day and ask if I was interested and I said yes. I went in and did some paper work, blood test, and some CDs. It seems when you're one of the busiest store in the city, you'll hire anyone who possesses some common sense.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
to OP,

Check out:

You can thank me later. I personally read through all the tips and all the comment. I read it to prepare for 2 job interview that I went to and I got both job offers.

On a side note:

I was lucky enough to get a pharmacy tech job without an interview. They just called me one day and ask if I was interested and I said yes. I went in and did some paper work, blood test, and some CDs. It seems when you're one of the busiest store in the city, you'll hire anyone who possesses some common sense.

Good luck!

Wow! thats a very good link Thanks!

don't sweat it. I've worked for Walgreens, and Savons (now cvs), and they ask very simple questions or if you're lucky, they will look at your resume and say "your hired!"

The only time I had a real interview was when I worked for Kaiser (hospital in socal), and I had to go through a HR interview, and a panel interview.

don't sweat it. I've worked for Walgreens, and Savons (now cvs), and they ask very simple questions or if you're lucky, they will look at your resume and say "your hired!"

The only time I had a real interview was when I worked for Kaiser (hospital in socal), and I had to go through a HR interview, and a panel interview.

Which did you enjoy working for more retail? or in a hospital setting? I also applied as a pharmacy tech for a local hospital.

Just be yourself..you'll be fine. Walgreens always needs help. Like someone mentioned above, just be flexible with your schedule.

they want someone who is dependable, flexible in hours.
one of my questions was:
what animal i would be and why?

When I was interviewed, they asked me about 3 questions:

Why do you want to work in a pharmacy?
What hours are you available?
When can you start?

Piece of cake. Nothing to get nervous over. Good luck!

Which did you enjoy working for more retail? or in a hospital setting? I also applied as a pharmacy tech for a local hospital.

hospital. I did 2 years out of high school. I always felt more wanted for my skills in a hospital but they followed a strict seniority policy when it came to shifts. SO you always got the worst shifts, but eventually you'd move up. After a year or two, you got the nice cushy shifts. Oh the health benefits are way better, and longer lunches, etc. I always liked working in the hospital. They may not be as flexible in hours if you want flexible hours. I personally don't, i've learned it goes both ways (see below). Also, if you work outpatient, and you want to work inpatient, you will have first dibs on those jobs (internal transfer/hiring). If you work in retail, you will probably never get the opportunity to work inpatient (i.e. your skills don't transfer over, and/or hospitals don't want to hire you because you arent qualified). Do the hospital route, and try to get into inpatient. Inpatient is cushy. Its really cushy. You fill IV's all day long, in a air-conditioned environment, and pay is better. Outpatient, is just like retail, but you aren't pressured by corp. to do stupid things (i.e. walgreens gave us weigh counters..but we werent allowed to use them because techs were relying on them to much...lol..******s).

I worked for walgreens for 6 years, and they feed you alot of bull****. I was their fastest tech, their most experienced tech, which meant that I got the worst shifts, with the least amount of help, because "I could handle it" or "do it for the company". It made me hate retail. It was like they were working me to death or to quit (eventually i did quit). All they cared about is flexibility, and if you don't have it, you don't work (that isn't how companies should treat their employees). They don't do scheduling based on seniority, they schedule you based on something called flexible market scheduling (I call it favoritism). They told me that this system, allows the employees to have a fair system of scheduling, that nobody would work all nights, or all weekends. Thats not true, this scheduling gives the managers the flexibility to pull your shift to suit their needs. The flexibility is dictated by the store needs. So when Walgreens was losing money, they gave me hours I couldn't work, longer shifts, but less total overall hours. I walked out soon after that. As a college student, this made me lose alot of sleep. I may change my mind about walgreens, but for now they are in a crunch (thanks to cvs..lol).

I worked for CVS/Savon's for 2 years...i did enjoy them when they were savon's. I quit when they became CVS, mainly because I didn't know what to expect, and they were going through alot of problems during the change over. Also Walgreens was poaching techs from savon's, so I jumped ship. In retrospect, I shouldn't have left them. They did treat me fairly. They didn't change my schedule the night before. However, everything else is the same as any other retail pharmacy, prepare to work alot. What separates them from walgreens is that they were fair with the scheduling. As a college student, that was really important.

disclaimer: I truly dislike walgreens. So I am totally biased against walgreens.

I couldn't delete my quote, so this is a reply to nothing.

I worked for walgreens for 6 years, and they feed you alot of bull****. I was their fastest tech, their most experienced tech, which meant that I got the worst shifts, with the least amount of help, because "I could handle it" or "do it for the company". It made me hate retail. It was like they were working me to death or to quit (eventually i did quit). All they cared about is flexibility, and if you don't have it, you don't work (that isn't how companies should treat their employees). They don't do scheduling based on seniority, they schedule you based on something called flexible market scheduling (I call it favoritism). They told me that this system, allows the employees to have a fair system of scheduling, that nobody would work all nights, or all weekends. Thats not true, this scheduling gives the managers the flexibility to pull your shift to suit their needs. The flexibility is dictated by the store needs. So when Walgreens was losing money, they gave me hours I couldn't work, longer shifts, but less total overall hours. I walked out soon after that. As a college student, this made me lose alot of sleep. I may change my mind about walgreens, but for now they are in a crunch (thanks to cvs..lol).
disclaimer: I truly dislike walgreens. So I am totally biased against walgreens.

yeah, that sounds like a bummer district you work in for walgreens.

After a month of work I said, "I want to go to these concerts...i need these days off". DONE. Then I needed weekends off for family, easy. I'm now middle of the road on seniority (the highest get what they need) and have no complaints. its all in the manager/scheduler, not the company. PS our numbers average over 500, so we're not talking a lazy place.

i'm pretty happy with walgreens, but will be open to try other companies/positions in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
my displeasure with walgreens was pretty recent to be honest. It seemed that corporate was squeezing management, who was squeezing the pharmacist, who squeezed the techs, who squeezed the parttimers, which happened to be me...lol
I worked in the OC district in Socal most of the time, and moonlighted in the LA district (Socal West, san fernando valley specifically, not sure what the district name is)... Its pretty bad, district wide, 24 hour stores were converted back to non-24 hours in the LA district, and in the OC district, hours were being cut. So I couldn't pick up hours even if I tried....

Either way, i quit the day i got into pharmacy school, so it works out for me :)

btw, I know my own experience doesn't reflect the company as a whole, thats why i put that disclaimer on my previous post, so I make my intentions known..lol.

so shaun, how was your interview?

hey guys i also have a pharm tech interview tomorrow at walgreens. i just found out tonight! how do u dress for it? should it be like a pharmacy school interview (suit) or is just a dress pants, nice blouse, and closed toe shoes fine? is it bad if u have no previous work experience?

the second thing is fine, i think. you don't have to wear a suit.

try to think of examples in your life other than work where you were dedicated, had a good work ethic, etc.

hey guys i also have a pharm tech interview tomorrow at walgreens. i just found out tonight! how do u dress for it? should it be like a pharmacy school interview (suit) or is just a dress pants, nice blouse, and closed toe shoes fine? is it bad if u have no previous work experience?

Not as formal as a pharmd. interview, you only need to dress to be presentable (dress pants/blouse). You need to always have close toe shoes on.

wow you guys are freaking out over nothing. A walgreens interview will probably be with the pharm manager or store manager and it is NOT bad at all. I dressed in slacks and a dress shirt and met the pharm manager who asked if i was certified and when could i work. then she told me to take my drug test! that was that!

i have worked at a 24hr walgreens for over 2 years now and let me tell you, it is NOT an easy job. BUT...they are VERY VERY flexible with me..it really is all dependent on how great your store manager/scheduler is. I'm part time, i barely work bc of school and organization stuff so..its really great!! the most flexible job i have ever had!

hey guys,
what is the best way to apply for pharm tech at walgreen ? do you guys just log in walgreen.com and fill out the application or walk in and ask ?Thanks....
by the way, can you work there w/o certify ?

So how did the interview go? I did an interview at a grocery store here on the 7th, unfortunately for me though there were 4 people in total wanting the job with one spot open so it's doubtful I'll get the job. Still waiting on a second interview, if that call ever comes that is.

hey guys,
what is the best way to apply for pharm tech at walgreen ? do you guys just log in walgreen.com and fill out the application or walk in and ask ?Thanks....
by the way, can you work there w/o certify ?

Walgreens.com, and you can work there without ptcb certification, and as a regular tech (if you have a regular tech license)....other than that you are a clerk.

note: it depends on the state, some states don't require the techs to be licensed or certified.

I've been with Walgreens for 3 years now...for one as a pharm tech and two as an assistant manager. And so far, I gotta say I love the company...you're always gonna have your BS stores and great stores, but I feel after working in a total of 13 different stores that I've had my fair taste of the company, and I love it...Benefits are GREAT..mainly their profit sharing...and if you're planning on pursuing pharmacy, its definitely a great way to go. Walgreens definitely supports the pharmacists that are there that want to advance to higher positions. My District manager is a rph and he is pulling down some SERIOUS $$$$$$. Basically after u get your pharm D, and you want to pursue management, they will fast track you. As a tech its not that bad, cant be worse than any other retailer I wouldn't think. We recently incorporated a new raise and bonus system given to the Senior techs which is pretty nice. They will also pay for you to take the PTCB certification exam three times (at least in Fl they do) and then give you a raise once you pass and become certified. Definitely a great company to work for if you're pursuing pharmacy...Good luck

My Interview went pretty well actually the pharmacy manager was very easy to talk to and was understanding. However, I found out I wasnt the only one interviewing for the same position. I was supposed to receive a call from the manager today, but I received nothing so I guess I didnt get the job... I think the biggest problem was the fact I did not have much work experience. So, I guess I will have to apply somewhere else... I will keep you guys updated on any future interviews. Thanks for the help everyone. I love SDN!!

So how did the interview go? I did an interview at a grocery store here on the 7th, unfortunately for me though there were 4 people in total wanting the job with one spot open so it's doubtful I'll get the job. Still waiting on a second interview, if that call ever comes that is.

I just read your post... I am in the same situation as you are ... 1 spot and multiple applicants... It doesnt look like I fared well but dont give up.... I have a friend who applied to 10 different locations and finally landed a job at Wal-Mart as a pharmacy technician and is making $11.50 starting without being certified:eek: or any type of experience in a pharmacy... Thats amazing:hardy:

My interview was yesterday at walgreens. i was freaking out over nothing. the guy didn't seem all that interested though. he was really sort of laid back and barely asked me anyquestions just took my name and asked me about my experience. i don't have any pharmacy experience but i have volunteered in other places where i had to be at the front desk etc...i heard someone else interviewed for the same job too. he sent me to do the drug test though. so i think i am close. but can't say anything for sure as of yet. kinda worried about starting without any experience. do they train you well?

how did you get a job at walgreens or cvs, because I applied to a couple and haven't had any call backs. What should I do?

how did you get a job at walgreens or cvs, because I applied to a couple and haven't had any call backs. What should I do?

Well first you would apply online at the retailers website... then go into the location where you wish to work and ask for any openings as a technician... and then go from there... but be sure to speak to the Pharmacy Manager....

I just called Wal-Greens and apparently there are 3 people trying to apply for the same position and they have not made a decision yet... So hopefully I still have a chance!!!

to OP,

Check out:

On a side note:

Good luck!

Hey, do you know if the blood test is tested for cannabis? Because I have quite a bit of that in me probably. And I just got called by CVS. They left a voice message.

Hey, do you know if the blood test is tested for cannabis? Because I have quite a bit of that in me probably. And I just got called by CVS. They left a voice message.

I hope you are joking.

Yes I would assume so. Blood test is used to weed out people like yourself

Yes I would assume so. Blood test is used to weed out people like yourself

Yeah well I went out recently. Do you know if they do it when someone gets accepted or sometime later? I'd stop if I had a job. I've just had nothing to do for a while... Also, I feel some antagonism in your statement. It's not like I'm a junkie. I still have over a 3.4GPA juggling 16+ hours a semester at a major state university. There's a Ratatat concert next week :[ But anyways, yeah I was kidding. I know it tests for drugs...

New question, is it a bad idea to ask for an interview later this week? I'm afraid it would make it look like my schedule is inflexible, but I've already planned to work on some research assignments and a test. This is a real question.

Last edited:
Yeah well I went out recently. Do you know if they do it when someone gets accepted or sometime later? I'd stop if I had a job. I've just had nothing to do for a while... Also, I feel some antagonism in your statement. It's not like I'm a junkie. I still have over a 3.4GPA juggling 16+ hours a semester at a major state university. There's a Ratatat concert next week :[ But anyways, yeah I was kidding. I know it tests for drugs...

New question, is it a bad idea to ask for an interview later this week? I'm afraid it would make it look like my schedule is inflexible, but I've already planned to work on some research assignments and a test. This is a real question.

I personally would do the interview as soon as possible. They aren't too stressful and time consuming. I only say this because employers are not going to interview everyone that's in the application pool. They'll hire the first candidate they like and you have a better chance of being that person if you interview early. Hope it helps and I'm glad you caught my joke

I personally would do the interview as soon as possible. They aren't too stressful and time consuming. I only say this because employers are not going to interview everyone that's in the application pool. They'll hire the first candidate they like and you have a better chance of being that person if you interview early. Hope it helps and I'm glad you caught my joke

NEvermind, I scheduled for my interview in 2 days. I didn't know they wouldn't mind me coming in as late as 8PM. I asked because I am completely booked this week. I have class until 8PM Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Wednesday I get out of my test at 6PM.

Hi guys! I am new to this thread.
I was looking for a job since a long time. Finally managed to get an interview (and hopefully a job) at Walgreens. Simultaneously, I had also applied for PharmD. Got accepted at school (at UMN) and also got the interview.

Can anyone tell me if I should let them know about my acceptance at school and if I should take the job offer?

How do i get licensed to be a Pharm. Tech? I just got my certification as a Pharm. Tech from ptcb.org

I'm new to this site, so I hope this is in the right thread. I'm a Pre-pharmacy student right now and starting my sophomore year in college. I feel like I'm behind in obtaining experience that'll be relevant to my career goal. I've applied to many pharmacies as a pharm tech and other companies for internships but I haven't received any replies yet. For all those Pre-pharm students out there, do you have any tips on where to start looking for more opportunities just to get some experience in the field? When was your first pharmacy related experience and did you have any experience prior to becoming a pharm tech (for those who are)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! I am new to this thread.
I was looking for a job since a long time. Finally managed to get an interview (and hopefully a job) at Walgreens. Simultaneously, I had also applied for PharmD. Got accepted at school (at UMN) and also got the interview.

Can anyone tell me if I should let them know about my acceptance at school and if I should take the job offer?

I learned that in different areas, they do prefer pharmacy students, but in my area, it seems as if being a pharmacy student is almost a bad thing. I always tell them I'm an upcoming pharmacy student to HOPEFULLY lift up my qualifications, since I've only volunteered. But, they usually go.. "wellll.... we need someone who's flexible.. and your p1 year will be very difficult.. which means that you won't be able to work very many hours during the school year..." I've literally been to 20 stores (grocery and retail). While most of them aren't hiring, the rest prefer experienced individuals without much schedule constraints, especially into the fall semester.

I would definitely take the job offer. It's amazing how there is a pharmacy at every corner, yet I can't manage to get a job. Any sort of experience could help you for a prospective job in the future.

A friend of mine in a different area told the store that she's a pharmacy student, and the store manager was automatically interested in hiring her no matter what. Again, depends on your area.

I think being a pharmacy student is a benefit to getting hired. It must be that my area is saturated with interns and pharmacy student technicians.

I'm new to this site, so I hope this is in the right thread. I'm a Pre-pharmacy student right now and starting my sophomore year in college. I feel like I'm behind in obtaining experience that'll be relevant to my career goal. I've applied to many pharmacies as a pharm tech and other companies for internships but I haven't received any replies yet. For all those Pre-pharm students out there, do you have any tips on where to start looking for more opportunities just to get some experience in the field? When was your first pharmacy related experience and did you have any experience prior to becoming a pharm tech (for those who are)?

Thanks in advance!

Here's an idea if you absolutely can't get a technician job:::
Two of my undergrad college friends ended up begging the HEB (grocery chain) pharmacist for a bagger position. They would work in the pharmacy as a bagger, but would eventually move up to a technician position. Only one of them actually moved up to a technician position though.

As a pre-pharmacy student, I would keep searching for technician experience. If you cannot find a job, volunteering in a pharmacy will help.

Also, in TX, we cannot intern until after our first year in pharmacy school. The pharmacy school usually provides us with an interning license and helps us apply to interning positions. At least in TX, you need an interning license to intern or else you and the pharmacy get in a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure how internships apply to other states, but if you're in TX, look for a technician experience all around your area / volunteering experience. Good luck.

Make sure you apply online, then walk-in to the pharmacies that you applied for so that they'll most likely remember you and keep note of your application file.

How long after I get hired do I have to get a drug test?

This was my hiring process with CVS:
1) Walk-in Inquiry- immediate interview
2) week later... - 2nd interview by phone, signed background check
3) week later...- Background check completed
4) Drug Test submitted day after background check completed
5) week later... Almost set up schedule, but then they realized they had 4 interns coming

If you took the background check before... usually it should only take 3-4 days.

i got a job interview too next week at Walgreen. I don't have any experience or volunteer experience but i have being working as a nursing assistant for 5 years now. do you guys have any suggestions?

I've applied to many pharmacies as a pharm tech and other companies for internships but I haven't received any replies yet.

My first pharmacy tech job came from a very small dollar store pharmacy. I would try smaller chains first like Ike's or Fred's. You may end up stocking shelves from time to time, but you should be able to gain a lot of pharmacy experience. From this point it may be easier to move up to larger chains such as Walgreens or CVS where you will have more pharmacy-related responsibilities. In fact a CVS manager called me today for an interview I am very excited!

I have found it difficult to find volunteer pharmacy experiences as a pre-pharmacy student. Most hospitals didn't care that I was certified and licensed, they wanted a student currently enrolled in a pharmacy program.

I wouldn't sweat it with Walgreens...there hiring system is pretty simple. You would have to be a complete F--K up not to get hired by them--seriously. Nothing to worry about here.

My pharmacy tech interview was pretty ridiculous...I was interviewed by HR first (they are the most wasteful and useless people on earth!) and then with the pharmacy manager (he was very cool and very excited for me!). I really hate HR though...they tend to waste a lot of time. But anyways, I got the job and I start soon...very excited :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've applied to many pharmacies as a pharm tech and other companies for internships but I haven't received any replies yet.

My first pharmacy tech job came from a very small dollar store pharmacy. I would try smaller chains first like Ike's or Fred's. You may end up stocking shelves from time to time, but you should be able to gain a lot of pharmacy experience. From this point it may be easier to move up to larger chains such as Walgreens or CVS where you will have more pharmacy-related responsibilities. In fact a CVS manager called me today for an interview I am very excited!

I have found it difficult to find volunteer pharmacy experiences as a pre-pharmacy student. Most hospitals didn't care that I was certified and licensed, they wanted a student currently enrolled in a pharmacy program.
So very true........

The most hospital experience that I rec'd was shadowing a clinical pharmacist for a day...most places want accepted pharm students.