pharmacy tech national certification exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldudeee123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey

how many times the exam is given each year. What type of questions does the exam consist of. What books do we use to study?

what are the benefits of being certified and passed the exam?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey

how many times the exam is given each year. What type of questions does the exam consist of. What books do we use to study?

what are the benefits of being certified and passed the exam?

thanks

Moved to licensure/exams since this is regarding both.

In answer to your questions.

Not sure how many times each year, it seems to be every other month, so I'd say probably 5-6 times/year. PTCB.org would have the specifics.

Questions are primarily math, a few drug names, and some inventory control questions.

Check the rest of the PTCE, tech license threads on this forum and you'll see what other's used for studying. I personally took classes in pharm calcs, pharmacology, and pharmacy practice and used my text books.

Benefits vary. The exam is not accepted in all states and doesn't mean the same thing for the states that do accept it. For me, in CA, I send in my certificate plus LifeScan fingerprints, and a couple pieces of paper and I'm a certified pharmacy technician. Other states, you may have to have a certain number of hours of experience before you are "certified".

In those states where PTCE isn't even acknowledged, it would only serve to show you have a basic knowledge of the workings of a pharmacy. Not a bad thing, but nowhere near the boost to your application that experience would give you.