Pharmacy tech to Doctor???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aeh88

One day at a time
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am currently working as a pharmacy tech and will be attending undergrad for premed in the fall while still working in the pharmacy. Is there anyone out there who went premed while working at a pharmacy? Pharmacies can be pretty hectic and fast paced without a lot of exposure to what I think a doctor would be exposed to. I wonder if it's a good idea to continue working as a tech while in undergrad. I want to get in as much shadowing and volunteering as possible while still earning an income. Any thoughts? Thank you so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

I am currently working as a pharmacy tech and will be attending undergrad for premed in the fall while still working in the pharmacy. Is there anyone out there who went premed while working at a pharmacy? Pharmacies can be pretty hectic and fast paced without a lot of exposure to what I think a doctor would be exposed to. I wonder if it's a good idea to continue working as a tech while in undergrad. I want to get in as much shadowing and volunteering as possible while still earning an income. Any thoughts? Thank you so much for your time.
I was a tech for several years. While it is a good exposure to the healthcare "environment" and learning the names of medications, etc, it's not the same thing as actually caring for patients directly or working in a hospital/clinic setting. I would recommend CNA, EMT, MA, medical scribe, or something along those lines.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to keep working as a pharm tech by all means go ahead. Makes much better money than flipping burgers. But do it because you want to/need to financially not because you think it'll look good on an application

1) Strong GPA 2) MCAT within range of schools you want to apply to 3) Clinical Exposure 4) Volunteering and Demonstrating Altruism: These are what are absolutely necessary to any med school application. All else is secondary.

If you want to keep working as a pharm tech by all means go ahead. Makes much better money than flipping burgers. But do it because you want to/need to financially not because you think it'll look good on an application

1) Strong GPA 2) MCAT within range of schools you want to apply to 3) Clinical Exposure 4) Volunteering and Demonstrating Altruism: These are what are absolutely necessary to any med school application. All else is secondary.

Thank you so much. I like to keep a decent job just in case. I have children and my spouse works but I like to be a financial back up. I am thinking about doing part time at the pharmacy when school starts so I can have plenty of study/shadow/ volunteering time. I feel awful when I am not working ,being productive and contributing. Thank you.