Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMW83

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

I was wondering what type of sample questions would be on the PTCE. Is it anything like this website:... ?

http://pharmacy.creighton.edu/pha313/book/

Members don't see this ad.

My sister is studying for the exam and i dont think that those are the type of questions they ask you for the exam. They mostly ask you to convert generic to brand, dosages, and other things like that. There are books you can buy to prepare yourself for it and the next exam is offered this november (i think).

you can order a book for preparation here:

http://www.pharmacyexam.com/RGFTE.cfm

Those problems are too in-depth for a tech exam. That course looks like a PS-1 pharmacy school course. I doubt that techs have to know the aliquot method. There have to be some PTCB study guides online somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the PTCB exam this July. I skimmed through the 200 page book, studied 3-4 hours a day for about 5 days before the test. During the actual test I had so much free time that I figured out that I answered approximately 2/3 of the questions correctly. I didnt know what to make out of this. Previously I heard that one has to be above the 70 percentile range to pass. But now it is a score ranging from 300-900, and one has to get 650 to pass. I know that out of the 125 questions I only answered about 85 correctly. When I got my score I had a 772. So i guess the test is not too bad, it reflects the sample questions from the book, and I think if you are able to get about half of the sample questions correctly you should be ready for the test.
Kevin

Hi!
ckv341,

Which book did you use to study for the PTCB Exam? Tell me the Author's name and book title so, I can buy it to study for November PTCB Exam.

Thanx!

i have a bs already from college and i'm working at a pharmacy as a clerk. i've been working as a clerk for a year, and am applying to pharm school. in the meantime, i'm interested in becoming a tech first because they get about 3dollars more. my pharmacist said starting last year, you have to go to tech school to get your license? is this true? others told me that as long as i have a degree in a science related field i can be a certified tech?

thanks.

Well the rules differ from state to state, iamhungry. In California, it is not required to go to tech school to become one, you can take the PTCE and if you pass that you're set.

I'm not sure about having a BS though. Last year a coworker of mine went that route, but I'm not sure they allow that anymore here. But like I said, it's different for each state.

meister said:
Well the rules differ from state to state, iamhungry. In California, it is not required to go to tech school to become one, you can take the PTCE and if you pass that you're set.

I'm not sure about having a BS though. Last year a coworker of mine went that route, but I'm not sure they allow that anymore here. But like I said, it's different for each state.

oh i'm from california. so you think it's fine if i just study for the ptce exam and take the test in november? i keep hearing different things. i cant really find anything on the ptcb website. i cant find a faq.

SMW83 said:
hello,

I was wondering what type of sample questions would be on the PTCE. Is it anything like this website:... ?

http://pharmacy.creighton.edu/pha313/book/

The test on the PTCB's website was similar, not exactly the same. The study guides are pretty good, but you have no way of knowing what type (or percentage for that matter) of questions will be on the exam. I was told that there were not a lot of IV claculations on the exam. Well, let's just say there weren't when he took the exam. I don't remember specifics, but I do remember being glad that I understood the concepts on the study guide provided by PTCB.

I think if you understand the concepts behind each question, you will be fine. I searched the web and found a lot of info on about the topics covered on the exam. I also studied for about a 2 months while working and going to school and I passed. I did not find the test mind-boggling or anything, but I did feel at a disadvantage because most of the people waiting in line with me seemed to have worked in a pharmacy. Hmmmm........

Oh, by the way, I used a solar calculator and was stuck in a room with app. 300 candidates. The room had no windows, no natural light, so I wound up doing all my calculations by hand. :rolleyes: ;) :oops:

Edit: I also took a few pharm tech classes and took the exam before completing them, but I also had a mentor who has been a pharmacist for 25 years along with a few friends who are also praticing pharm-techs.

I wanna prepare for PTCE Exam. But i dunno from where i should start. I have bachlor degree in science. plz help me

I have worked in a pharmacy for 7 years so I felt that a lot of the test material I knew from experience. But I did buy 2 of the pharmacy technician study books to go over hospital stuff and what I was not familiar with, I felt it helped. Check out the practice test on their website. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam and failed it :shrug:...if you work in retail then you should focus more on what a pharmacy technician does in the hospital. I would say about 70% of the question on the exam i took were for the hospital environment. I studied for months before and even bought a pharmacy technician study book....it didn't help... all i can say is good luck to anyone who takes the exam!

are you allowed to use a calculator when you take the PTCB exam?

Yes. For the computerized exams where calculators are not allowed, there will be a basic function calculator on the computer that you take the test on.

--Garfield3d

sup everyone,

I just got out the PTCB and i passed. I only studied for 2 days, and I thought I would share with people wondering about the exam how to study.

The only two resources I used were: Mosby's Review for the PTCE 2nd Edition by James Mizner

and http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com (really amazing website)

My exam consisted of about 35-50 math questions with simple math including concentrations and things that are outlined in the website I mentioned

know conversions!!

be sure to know all the SIG abbreviations and how to interpret them!

another 15 were about the Popular Laws (OBRA 90 etc.) and DEA, FDA, and what to do with controlled substances

another 10 were about how pharm techs dont have the power to counsel patients, about what a pharm tech should do, and how a pharm tech is ultimately the pharmacists b*tch.

then about 10 questions dealt with drug names...I actually didnt memorize any drug names and only memorized popular suffixes...for the questions I just took educated guesses, and saved myself ALOT of studying

the rest of the questions were just random bits of info you can find on the website or from a quick reading of the book i mentioned

My course of study: Day 1: skimmed over the whole Mosby book, went in depth in the website and read each section...made a review of all important concepts

Day 2: took the 6 practice exams in the Mosby book and wrote down everything I got wrong

Day 3: went over the reviews I made and the important concepts from the 6 practice exams, drove to the exam place, took the PTCE and passed!

Good luck everyone!

Hi,

Does anyone have information about PTCB exam? What is the passing score? What percentage should I get to pass?
Thank you:)

Hi,

Does anyone have information about PTCB exam? What is the passing score? What percentage should I get to pass?

The PTCB Exam is made up of 90 multiple choice questions. There are 4 available answers, but only 1 is the correct answer. You have 2 hours to complete the test and passing score is 650 out of 900.

The test is currently broken down like this:

66% - Assisting the pharmacist in serving patients
22% - Maintaining medication / Inventory control systems
12% laws
and sometimes more questions about drugs, math and random questions

Last edited:
Hi,

The PTCB Exam is made up of 90 multiple choice questions. There are 4 available answers, but only 1 is the correct answer. You have 2 hours to complete the test and passing score is 650 out of 900.

The test is currently broken down like this:

66% - Assisting the pharmacist in serving patients
22% - Maintaining medication / Inventory control systems
12% laws
and sometimes more questions about drugs, math and random questions
good luck