Pharmacy Technician for Walgreen's or Walmart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueangel12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two offers of employment to be a part time pharmacy technician to get a little experience before I try for pharmacy school.One from Walmart and another from Walgreens. The hourly pay they offered is very similar with Walgreens paying about 0.15 cents more an hour. I know that Walmart usually pays a little above the average compared to Walgreens, CVS, Target, and other Grocery store pharmacies. I know that Walmart is usually more staffed where most of the time there is usually 3 or 4 people at all times regardless of the day/time versus Walgreens where there is usually only 1 pharmacist and 1 technician on duty most of the time with a little overlap for about 2 or 3 hours each day. I was wondering if anyone had insight experiences of working for one or both before with regards to pay, hours, atmosphere, and workload. And which one would be better to work for.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have two offers of employment to be a part time pharmacy technician to get a little experience before I try for pharmacy school.One from Walmart and another from Walgreens. The hourly pay they offered is very similar with Walgreens paying about 0.15 cents more an hour. I know that Walmart usually pays a little above the average compared to Walgreens, CVS, Target, and other Grocery store pharmacies. I know that Walmart is usually more staffed where most of the time there is usually 3 or 4 people at all times regardless of the day/time versus Walgreens where there is usually only 1 pharmacist and 1 technician on duty most of the time with a little overlap for about 2 or 3 hours each day. I was wondering if anyone had insight experiences of working for one or both before with regards to pay, hours, atmosphere, and workload. And which one would be better to work for.

I work for Walgreens and have friends that work at other retail pharmacies like Walmart and CVS. I would probably go with Walmart because of the increase in staff. At Walgreens we do run staff pretty slim but I also really enjoy working there.

Good luck!