pharmacy technician information for a beginner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reade6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently taken interest in a career as a pharmacist and i'm fresh to the whole scene. I start community college in a few months for just my basics, I asked about pharmacy technician certification at the college im going to but they don't offer it. So my question is where can I start by becoming a certified technician should I just read and study for the exam find a place near me that helps with getting certified or is there any way could get hired at a place with only sales associate experience so I could learn and then become certified? any advice would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the state. In Texas for example, you can register as a tech trainee (just background check and fingerprints) and work as a tech for 2(?) years before having to take your exam. I know CVS doesn't have just PSA (pharmacy service associates, aka cashiers in the pharmacy), at least in my area, but some independents do (and I know Costco does). You could work as a cashier and try to get bumped up to tech eventually.
You can just study for the exam and take it yourself, but I've heard it's gotten harder since I've taken it (obviously hearsay). When I took it, my test was like 80% math, but my friend just took it and it was all brand/generic drug names and indications. She said she had several questions asking what drug could substitute for another. So, you can take it on your own, but it's hard to learn the drug names and indications without any pharmacy experience, imo. You can also look for a tech certification program, but they can be expensive :(

Thank you I'm definitely going to look into some places tomorrow that need cashiers for pharmacy and that's good to know about the Texas tech trainee because I live in Texas, what kind of math was on the test though if you don't mind ? I haven't really looked into the math behind pharmacy yet ,but I will soon because I know it's important. I'm expecting there to be conversion questions and ones on how often a medication should be taken but what else is there ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Conversions, formulas to memorize (if you buy any prep book it should give you the formulas you need), how many pills does a patient need for certain directions, etc. I took mine like 5 years ago though, so like I said, my friend who took it most recently said there was a lot more drug-based questions (though that might be just the luck of the draw with her test).
Also, like I said, depending on where you look for pharmacy cashier positions, they may require a trainee license before you can apply (you could just be a regular cashier until then, up to you). CVS will pay for your first attempt to take the test (I assume other places will too).

I think i'll stay safe and study for both math and drug based questions.