Pharmacy Technician job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conflagration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior that is interested in becoming a pharmacist, but I don't want to sign up for a 6-8 year program until I get at least a little experience under my belt. I am not certified as a pharmacy technician, but I do hear that some retail chains will provide this training for you as long as you work for them for a certain amount of time.

I have four different chains that have a pharmacy within 10-15 minutes of my house. They are Wal-Mart, CVS, Rite-Aid, and a Harris Teeter. There's also a Walgreen's, but they're having a hiring freeze...

What experiences have you had with these chains? What are my chances with getting a job in this market?

If it helps at all, I'm in central North Carolina, but I've never had a formal job anywhere... I have tutored and would probably be able to use their parents as references.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if you'll be able to get a job, but it depends on your area I guess. Around by me it's just about impossible to get a pharm tech job unless you are certified and contact the district managers directly.. it's just that competitive. Not having any previous employment experience will definitely work against you. I haven't worked at any of these places so I can't say what the job is like. If anything, I would definitely look into at least shadowing a pharmacist at some of these places.. Good luck to you!

Just a stupid question, I guess, but how much does it cost to get that done? I know that it involves a test and it has a class with it normally... is the class optional? Obviously, I'd study the material beforehand. But isn't the class expensive?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the class requirement depends on what state you're in, but i'm not 100% on that. Here in Wisconsin you can take the class at some of our tech schools but it isn't required. I bought Mosby's test prep book to study from and will probably be taking the exam in the next few months (I heard it really isn't all that bad). The test costs $129 currently.
Go here for more info: https://www.ptcb.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home1
The book I bought was: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=0721694365

I think the class requirement depends on what state you're in, but i'm not 100% on that. Here in Wisconsin you can take the class at some of our tech schools but it isn't required. I bought Mosby's test prep book to study from and will probably be taking the exam in the next few months (I heard it really isn't all that bad). The test costs $129 currently.
Go here for more info: https://www.ptcb.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home1
The book I bought was: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=0721694365

That's the same book I used and I passd the PTCB here in California with flying colors.

I am a high school senior that is interested in becoming a pharmacist, but I don't want to sign up for a 6-8 year program until I get at least a little experience under my belt.

I want to hug you. A highschool student that actually wants to get experience before deciding what to study?
I worked at CVS for a year, and overall it was a good experience. I was able to get a tech-in-training license and went through CVS's formal training program in order to be licensed by the state.
I think the rules are very state specific, but I have heard that North Carolina is a great state to practice pharmacy and one of the more progressive states for techs. I would go to each individual pharmacy and ask if they are hiring and how to go about applying. Some want you to apply online etc. Maybe you'll have to be a cashier first and just run the register, but either way it never hurts to ask. Good luck.

I want to hug you. A highschool student that actually wants to get experience before deciding what to study?
I worked at CVS for a year, and overall it was a good experience. I was able to get a tech-in-training license and went through CVS's formal training program in order to be licensed by the state.
I think the rules are very state specific, but I have heard that North Carolina is a great state to practice pharmacy and one of the more progressive states for techs. I would go to each individual pharmacy and ask if they are hiring and how to go about applying. Some want you to apply online etc. Maybe you'll have to be a cashier first and just run the register, but either way it never hurts to ask. Good luck.

Aw, thanks. Internet hugs are always free. x3

I'll be sure to check it out! I'm seeing if I can get a friend to apply at the same places with me so we can carpool. But I'll definitely let you all know how it goes...

:thumbup: Group hug! :D

#1 advice for ANY student anywhere. Don't get the degree if you don't know what you're getting yourself in for.

I know so many unhappy engineers & nurses.

This exact question must come up at least every other day...

I'm pretty sure in NC you do not have to be "certified" prior to getting a job as a tech. Go to every pharmacy around/ near you and ask to speak with the Pharmacy Manager. If he/she is not there at the time, ask to speak with the Pharmacist. Tell them you are planning on majoring in Pre-Pharmacy next year in college and you would like to get some experience in the field. Usually, if the Pharmacy Manager is not there, they will tell you to come back and speak with them since they will determine if you are hired or if they are even hiring.

With you not even being in Pre-Pharmacy yet I'm not positive that they would hire you as a tech to start with but I suppose it is possible you could work at the pick-up window and check people out when they are picking up prescriptions...I guess it depends on what type of pharmacy it is and if they need help.

I would advice you to NOT pay to take classes to become certified for a couple reasons. First off, it is a year-long certification course in which you are taking a year or classes just to make about $9 per hour. Most states just require you take the PTCB exam and pass which requires you get a PTCB study-book and, well, study. There are many test sites to take the test all over the country and they do them at many different times of year. Although, if you get hired at a chain, they will normally have you work so many hours and then they will have you take some classes and pass the exam (in which they pay for all of this, normally).

I would recommend attempting to find a job in a pharmacy first and if you fail then buy the book, study a bit, and then take the exam. Since you aren't in college yet but they see that you took the initiative to study and pass the exam then they may have more faith that you would be a good candidate for a tech position.

Also, in the mean-time, you could attempt to go to local, community pharmacies and see if they wouldn't mind you "shadowing" a time or two so you can, somewhat, see what a day in the life of a pharmacist is like. Chain retail pharmacies, at least the one I work at, is extremely busy and can be really stressful. I've not worked in a community pharmacy so I can't speak on them but we do between 250-600 Rx's per day so it gets hectic a lot. I will go ahead and say I work for Walgreens and I have nothing bad to say about the company. It could be just that I have really awesome managers and co-workers but I couldn't imagine working for another retail pharmacy would (or even could) be a better experience.

Can we please make some sort of "sticky" on this subject because I believe this question comes up, almost, more than anything...

Best of luck to you.

I just got hired at CVS. I applied last month and they called me last Wed for an interview on Fri. Got the call today that they wanted me to join.

It was pretty easy getting the job. I am certified but I have no experience. The pharmacist I interviewed with told me there were five other people applying for this position. Tells you how competitive it is. During the interview he told me he was impressed that I was already certified and have a Biology degree. I know your in hs, but try getting that certification before you start applying, because these companies don't want to waste time training and paying for your examination.

I agree with the above post. Sign up for the PTCE and study off the Mosby's book. Let me know if you do decide to do this. You don't have to study everything, the test is very easy and I'm sure you will be able to pass. After that, go to the stores and ask to speak to the pharmacy manager. Talk to them and ask them about getting hired. Go at irregular hours, so you will catch them when they aren't busy. You want them to really be able to talk to you. Either way, I think its great you're so young and really wanting to get experience before you really go into a field. I think you also have to have a high school diploma to be a tech as well...so maybe finish up high school first. Anyways, retail is such a small part of the world of pharmacy, but it is a very common one. Just telling you now, if you do become and tech and don't enjoy it as much, don't put out pharmacy just yet, theres always clinical and ambulatory care. :D

You guys realize you need to have a high school diploma or GED to take the PTCE, right?

OP, I'd go in (during a non-busy time) and ask to speak with the pharmacy manager and ask what you'd need to do to get a tech position. You might have to work your way up from cashier. Don't limit yourself to the chains - try independents & grocery store pharmacies too. Get someone to help you practice the interaction so you present yourself professionally and in the best light.

For your first job, it doesn't matter whether you've enrolled in pre-pharm or not - lots of people don't have aspirations to be pharmacists and are happy being techs with no college experience. The tutoring experience will help show you can be reliable. You're in a bit of a catch 22 - you need work experience to get work experience. That's why I suggested you might have to start as a cashier or stocker or something and come back to the pharmacy once you've got a track record of being a good employee.

Don't pay for pharm tech training... Unless your board requires you to have a training class to be licensed, a license to be in a pharmacy, and you can't find someone who will train you after they hire you.

To figure out how to get licensed, check out your state Board of Pharmacy's website - www.ncbop.org. There are two separate things a pharm tech can do:
- "Certification" is through the PTCB, by way of passing the PTCE. Does not require a training course. Strictly speaking, you can self-study. Certification allows you to call yourself John Smith, CPhT and shows you can pass the competency test.
- "Licensure" is through your state Board of Pharmacy. This allows you to work as a pharmacy technician and legally work under direction of a pharmacist. In many states, the requirement to become licensed is that you are certified, but there are big differences depending on the state.

Having read the NC BOP website just now, my initial impression is that it's the hardest BOP website I've read to date. It has incomplete tech information and is not organized very well. I would suggest calling them or going to their office to ask questions before I took any action.

Keeping in mind that I have no special insight into NC's process, here is what I think is required. First, they are mostly concerned about having people register. The form appears to be geared towards people who have just started a job (you have to register within 30 days). The pharmacist manager can train you - you just put his/her name on the form, no formal training program required. No certification is required for registration with the state. However, due to the pharmacist to technician ratio law, it appears that most employers will probably want you to become certified as soon as possible.