Pharmacy Technician: Mass retail vs Gocery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justjack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can advise if it's better to work in a grocery store pharmacy or a mass general retail store pharmacy as a pharmacy technician and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering if anyone can advise if it's better to work in a grocery store pharmacy or a mass general retail store pharmacy as a pharmacy technician and why?

That's not an easy question to answer because of the subjectivity of the question. It all comes down to personal choice. Some find it easier and like it more in a hospital or at a major chain. It all depends on you and what you will like or put up with. You won't know until you try it. A lot of it comes down to company policy and the people you work with.

If you're doing pharmacy in a grocery store, you'll need to know more locations of non-pharmacy related items when customers ask you where the on-sale potatoes are while you are hard at work.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess to clarify, i was wondering about the foot traffic between the two. it seems like people are more likely to drop off their prescriptions at a general store vs a grocery store.

so it seems as if working in a grocery would have less customers and work to do than at a mass retailer.

however i'm a guy and i hardly buy groceries, that could lead to my being biased

For the most part, chain stores such as CVS and Walgreens will fill more scripts than your local grocery store. You will have less "work" to do, but keep in mind you will also have less technician help than in a chain store.