Pharmacy Technician troubles. What should I do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JavariPharmD23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question. I work as a pharmacy Technician at CVS Pharmacy in the San Francisco Bay Area. I’ve only been working at this job for 9 months and before this I’ve never worked in a pharmacy before. My pharmacy manager knows this and knows that I want to become a Pharmacist. CVS has the awesome program that allows you to get your California Pharmacy Technician lisence after working 250 hours. During this training phase I feel like I learned a lot just by being in a pharmacy setting however, my pharmacy manager didn’t teach me a whole lot. I had to ask questions and when I did I would get my questions answered but I would has get a snarky remark or unnecessary subtle insults. Around the time I was hired there was another trainee tech transferring from another store because she was only getting 8 hours a week and she had been working for CVS as a trainee tech for about a year (she claims the other store hated her, sh also wants to be a Pharmacist.) she never does anything but clean and organize thing she doesn’t help put the totes up from the warehouse delivery, answer the phone or help file the prescriptions but it seems like the pharmacy doesn’t care. She pretty much knew how to do everything except fill prescriptions because she wasn’t lisenced yet. We would would type things wrong and and I would ask questions to clarify things I didn’t understand but I got the impression that she (the pharmacy manager thought I was a *****) the pharmacy manager would had a softer approach when it came her and would show her thing that she wouldn’t show me. They had a better bond because they’re both Filipino on days when it was just me and her closing she barley said anything to me and still doesn’t. She also talks about almost everyone behind their back (unless their filipino). When I finally did get my license I barley got the chance to fill prescriptions and I was always told to go help pick up while someone else finishes production the pharmacy manager didn’t really tech me anything she just stayed at Q.V. and peeped over every once and a while and would get pissed if I made a mistake. She would tech the other technician how to fill prescriptions before she even got her license and watch over her to make sure she was doing everything right even after she got her license. Now that we both are able to work a QP the other Technician is always allowed to fill. It seems like the pharmacy manager doesn’t want me to I guess because I’m slower and I have ADHD but how am I supposed to get better when I don’t get any practice right? I’m always stuck at the register, answering the phone calls or when the load comes in I’m the only person that puts it away am I get the side eye if isn’t put up in 2-3 days I get blamed no matter how big the load is. I’d understand if this were to happen to the other technician when I’m working at QP but it doesn’t. When I’m at QP I’m expected to fill prescriptions answer the phone help the pick up line and when the other tech is at QP all she does is fill prescriptions and nobody say anything to her. Has anyone experienced something like this? Any advise you guys could give me I’m open to anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Computer programming would be a far better career choice. You can earn a six figure salary with a better quality of life and far better work conditions (now that you know what retail is like) without having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.

The job market for computer programmers is red-hot in the San Francisco Bay Area. Companies are hiring people even out of 4-month coding bootcamps because they cannot find enough talent. As a pharmacist you will most definitely have to move away to be able to find a job, and even if you do find one in the San Francisco Bay Area you will be competing for housing against software engineers who earn more than you, do not owe $200k+, and have had a 4-year head start on their earnings.

Isn’t saturation the worst in California?

Members don't see this ad :)
California is already one of the most saturated states, and that is without two of the schools that just graduated their first classes which will soon be licensed. Once that happens, the number of jobless pharmacists will likely skyrocket.

Computer programmers are in very high demand right now. You can land a well paying job even without a degree, let alone a doctorate that costs $200k+ in loans and 4 years of your life.

I had a question. I work as a pharmacy Technician at CVS Pharmacy in the San Francisco Bay Area. I’ve only been working at this job for 9 months and before this I’ve never worked in a pharmacy before. My pharmacy manager knows this and knows that I want to become a Pharmacist. CVS has the awesome program that allows you to get your California Pharmacy Technician lisence after working 250 hours. During this training phase I feel like I learned a lot just by being in a pharmacy setting however, my pharmacy manager didn’t teach me a whole lot. I had to ask questions and when I did I would get my questions answered but I would has get a snarky remark or unnecessary subtle insults. Around the time I was hired there was another trainee tech transferring from another store because she was only getting 8 hours a week and she had been working for CVS as a trainee tech for about a year (she claims the other store hated her, sh also wants to be a Pharmacist.) she never does anything but clean and organize thing she doesn’t help put the totes up from the warehouse delivery, answer the phone or help file the prescriptions but it seems like the pharmacy doesn’t care. She pretty much knew how to do everything except fill prescriptions because she wasn’t lisenced yet. We would would type things wrong and and I would ask questions to clarify things I didn’t understand but I got the impression that she (the pharmacy manager thought I was a *****) the pharmacy manager would had a softer approach when it came her and would show her thing that she wouldn’t show me. They had a better bond because they’re both Filipino on days when it was just me and her closing she barley said anything to me and still doesn’t. She also talks about almost everyone behind their back (unless their filipino). When I finally did get my license I barley got the chance to fill prescriptions and I was always told to go help pick up while someone else finishes production the pharmacy manager didn’t really tech me anything she just stayed at Q.V. and peeped over every once and a while and would get pissed if I made a mistake. She would tech the other technician how to fill prescriptions before she even got her license and watch over her to make sure she was doing everything right even after she got her license. Now that we both are able to work a QP the other Technician is always allowed to fill. It seems like the pharmacy manager doesn’t want me to I guess because I’m slower and I have ADHD but how am I supposed to get better when I don’t get any practice right? I’m always stuck at the register, answering the phone calls or when the load comes in I’m the only person that puts it away am I get the side eye if isn’t put up in 2-3 days I get blamed no matter how big the load is. I’d understand if this were to happen to the other technician when I’m working at QP but it doesn’t. When I’m at QP I’m expected to fill prescriptions answer the phone help the pick up line and when the other tech is at QP all she does is fill prescriptions and nobody say anything to her. Has anyone experienced something like this? Any advise you guys could give me I’m open to anything.

Ask your pharmacist scenario questions when you can. If you're not getting the opportunity to type prescriptions that often, try to think of questions that you do have when you have typed so that if you can apply that knowledge later. It sucks that your pharmacy manager doesn't like you but you're there to do your job, not be liked so take everything as a learning opportunity even if it takes you longer to learn.

Edit: It could be she's trying to deter you from pharmacy by ignoring you but idk....as always do your research and make an informed decision before you do anything

Ask your pharmacist scenario questions when you can. If you're not getting the opportunity to type prescriptions that often, try to think of questions that you do have when you have typed so that if you can apply that knowledge later. It sucks that your pharmacy manager doesn't like you but you're there to do your job, not be liked so take everything as a learning opportunity even if it takes you longer to learn.

Edit: It could be she's trying to deter you from pharmacy by ignoring you but idk....as always do your research and make an informed decision before you do anything
But why would she deter me? That’s interesting

But why would she deter me? That’s interesting
Retail is heavily saturated (depending on your location) right now so a lot of pharmacists try to talk down the job and give fair warnings to pre-pharmacy students so that they reconsider/do their research.
Either way, just keep asking questions whether your pharmacist likes you or not.

Retail is heavily saturated (depending on your location) right now so a lot of pharmacists try to talk down the job and give fair warnings to pre-pharmacy students so that they reconsider/do their research.
Either way, just keep asking questions whether your pharmacist likes you or not.
Ok it’s just weird asking her because whenever I ask her a question she’s really rude.