Pharmacy Techs and Clerks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OralT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i'm just having this huge confusion on pharmacy technicians and clerks. So how do i become one? and how do i get those licenses and certificates? do i need to take some sort of a test? im really new to pre-pharm and i would appreciate it if someone would help me out on this.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
i'm just having this huge confusion on pharmacy technicians and clerks. So how do i become one? and how do i get those licenses and certificates? do i need to take some sort of a test? im really new to pre-pharm and i would appreciate it if someone would help me out on this.

thanks

Hey there.

A pharmacy CLERK is usually untrained, and uncertified, and is usually a term used to refer to someone who just happens to work the cash register/counter inside a pharmacy, inside a store. (Rarely see these anywhere but retail).

A pharmacy technician, or CphT as you'll see it abbreviated, has a certification that he or she has passed the PTCE, or the Pharmacy Technician CErt. Exam, which is given by the PTCB, the Pharm. Tech. Cert. Board. (Ptcb.org)

Some states require the CphT to have taken a course in addition to just taking the exam (You can take the exam and "pass" it via self-study, I did it that way - They have practice exams). I recommend Mosby's PTCE review for a comprehensive look at life in a pharmacy.

So, to re-cap.

To become a pharmacy tech, you must at least
a. Take the PTCE and score satisfactorily
b. In some states, take a 12-16 week CphT program (offered at professional "vocation" schools most of the time).
c. Get a job as a Pharm. Tech! =D

I hope I didn't forget anything, welcome to SDN pre-pharm, and good luck!

Good info, some states don't require you to be certified to GET a job, but usually the retail will pay for your first test because they want you to be certified. Try going around to diff. pharmacies and asking the managers.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much for this. =D

you saved my life ;]

go to mail order, trust me on this one. ;)

go to mail order, trust me on this one. ;)

Crazy concept...some of us that get into pharmacy actually like interacting with people. :eek:
i agree, i'd be bored off my ass in mail order. I don't mind dealing with lunatics, they give me something to talk about. lol i'm joking, but really, i enjoy meeting people, sure some can be xxx but the rest make up for that.