Pharmacy to become a Master's degree?

Started by lcow2004
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I know lots of older pharmacists that work for CVS. I have no idea how they handle it. Presumably CVS has driven them to a point where they just don't care about the daily grind? *shrug*

I was under the impression that retail really wasn't that bad until the last decade or so. I assume that there's been increased volume, increased metrics, and less benefits/incentives since then.
 
Just want to point out that 80% of the rxms in my district are over 40.

I've said this before, retail can be great but you have to train your staff appropriately and be a hard worker yourself. I've now worked at 4 stores before settling on my current one for awhile. I have rarely had a bad day at work. I always sit to each lunch and I never skip lunch.
 
Just want to point out that 80% of the rxms in my district are over 40.

I've said this before, retail can be great but you have to train your staff appropriately and be a hard worker yourself. I've now worked at 4 stores before settling on my current one for awhile. I have rarely had a bad day at work. I always sit to each lunch and I never skip lunch.

It's amazing the difference that 1 person can make in terms of workflow and moral. Laugh at your idiot customers and complain about a dumb nurse but never trash your company or you techs will adopt the mindset
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I prefer the easy life.ive studied for 8 years and that I deserve more

Well, this is a nice thought, but its not the way it works in the real world. How long you go to school, how hard you study, and how good your grades are, aren't what determines your salary and the ease of your job. That is determined by complicated factors influencing the marketplace. There are ALOT of unemployed/underemployed PhD's who went to school longer than you, and in many cases worked harder for their degree.
 
The best thing is that on a typical day I, as a retail pharmacist working in a rural area, do more clinical stuff than some magic unicorn pgy-2 at some research hospital. Patients and doctors respect what I say and listen. You can look down on me while you staff your Coumadin clinic following some flowchart that can be done by a LPN

Happiness in retail really relates to practice site. I just transferred to a rural area to a pharmacy doing 1100/week. I have time to talk to people, get my stuff done. It's much lower stress than my previous city location
 
The best thing is that on a typical day I, as a retail pharmacist working in a rural area, do more clinical stuff than some magic unicorn pgy-2 at some research hospital. Patients and doctors respect what I say and listen. You can look down on me while you staff your Coumadin clinic following some flowchart that can be done by a LPN

I have a little trouble believing you do more clinical stuff in a retail setting. Having worked both in a city and a rural area, retail entailed the same responsibilities regardless of the setting. Might be the specific store that you work for, but what kind of clinical stuff can you possibly do in that kind of setting?
 
Aside from filling prescriptions anytime I interact with a patient or doctor it's clinical work. Therapy changes/recommendations, patient educations, mtm, etc. short of maybe ABX stewardship it has more of a direct impact in patient care than what A lot of clinical pharmacists can do.

The phrase "clinical pharmacist" is just a way to artificially striate the profession to allow infighting.