Pharmacy transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tharper14

P1.5
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is probably a question that no one here is going to be able to answer but I'll ask it anyway...

Anyone know if Campbell accepts transfer pharmacy students? The reason I'm asking is because my husband will be transferring to Ft Bragg when he gets back from Iraq (not until next year) and I'm about to start pharmacy school at UT this year. So basically I'll have my first year finished when I will (hopefully) transfer. I think if I do get accepted as a transfer, they'll make me repeat my first year anyway, so it'll kind of be a waste of money starting pharm school at UT, but then I don't want to not start school there because what if Campbell doesn't accept me?

I'm actually a little upset with my husband becuase I said to him, I'll apply to Creighton (online) if you think you'll be transferred and he was like, no I can stay in Ft Hood if I want, which is sort of true, but he can only stay if he can get a job here, which he probably could but it'd be one that he hates and this one in Ft Bragg is kind of the perfect job for him and I don't want to say don't do it because I want him to be happy but the thing is I was soooooo happy to get into UT... I love UT, and it's the only school I wanted to go to, so it's kind of like, which one of us should be the unhappy one, me or him? Should I give up my dream of going to UT so that he can have his dream job? I suggested living apart for the 3 years but he doesn't really want to consider it.

I know, I know... I'm babblering on about stupid crap... anyone got any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Call them / email them / look it up on their website.

Ohh my goodness! This sucks!! All of your hard work. When did all of this happen? I have a friend at Ft. Bragg. Her husband went to officer basic with my husband and she's Canadian. You guys would get along.

Hey, if all else fails, we will both apply to creighton distance this year. This is the Army. This is what happens. We both know that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh my goodness! This sucks!! All of your hard work. When did all of this happen? I have a friend at Ft. Bragg. Her husband went to officer basic with my husband and she's Canadian. You guys would get along.

Hey, if all else fails, we will both apply to creighton distance this year. This is the Army. This is what happens. We both know that.

This week... I think someone from that branch offered him a job or recommended him for the job, however it works... I real think I'd like North Carolina, but I want to finish school here first. I'll have to let you know if we go. It won't be till next year though... Yeah maybe I will apply to Creighton this year, how cool is that if we both get in? We could help each other out :D I really don't like the thought of applying again though... it was such an ordeal first time round. I really don't want to do it again. Plus he'll probably just get deployed again after a year so I'll be stuck in Ft Bragg with no one, stuck going to a school that I really don't want to go to. Yep this is the army.

Anyways, hope you're doing ok :oops:

Pharmacy school transfers are usually reserved for special circumstances, stuff like this. You'll want to contact both schools and give them a heads up because schools in general don't like to do transfers. It basically means that they lost one of their limited spots for 4 years.

From what I have understood, though (talking to schools in the past about this, just out of curiosity), transfers occur on a case-by-case basis, and most schools don't have a standard procedure for transfer students.

--Garfield3d

Ok, just in case anyone else is thinking of transferring to Creighton distance or Campbell, I called them this morning and both said no, we NEVER accept transfers.

As a current Creighton distance student, I can understand why. Classes won't match up, but mostly you'll be far, far behind the class technology-wise. We have a few Creighton-specific things on our computers that take a while to get used to.

Also, they can't go over 55 students in each class, since there isn't enough lab room during the summer sessions.

And, they like to have students all 4 years so as to produce a specific type of health care professional with a Creighton-based focus/ideals.

Yeah Creighton actually said that they can't go over 55 students and they have never had a single student drop out in the 10 or so years (can't remember the exact # of years the guy quoted) that they have had the distance program. I found that a little hard to believe but yeah I get it, every school has a different program. What bothers me is that they won't even consider it. They're just like no. They don't want to listen to you're reasons, nothing. They say no before you even get the words out of your mouth. There has got to be at least one student that drops out in the first year... why wouldn't the school want to recover the loss of money from that lost student by replacing it with a transfer student? :confused:

Eh, school politics... I'll never understand it.

Honestly, it would just be too hard for a transfer student to get in the swing of things. For all the reasons I mentioned.

I'm sorry they were direct with you, but I assume they believe it's just too involved to take a transfer student from anywhere. I'm sure they get the question all the time :)

As far as students dropping, I've only heard of one getting dismissed their 3rd year (that was in the first year of the program...8? years ago). One student from my class (P2) is transferring to next year's class for personal reasons. No one else has dropped from my class. Students really love the program!!

I should also mention, too, that how summer classes are scheduled is too hard for someone to jump in. For instance, P2s just got back from 2 weeks in Omaha where we finished up 2 P1 courses and started on a P2 class for this upcoming fall. No way to have someone transfer in for next year at this point now, anyway. Same thing will happen next summer, too.

Honestly, it would just be too hard for a transfer student to get in the swing of things. For all the reasons I mentioned.

I'm sorry they were direct with you, but I assume they believe it's just too involved to take a transfer student from anywhere. I'm sure they get the question all the time :)

As far as students dropping, I've only heard of one getting dismissed their 3rd year (that was in the first year of the program...8? years ago). One student from my class (P2) is transferring to next year's class for personal reasons. No one else has dropped from my class. Students really love the program!!

Good to know. I was trying to figure out what the attrition rate for the distance program since its conception.
Since my friend had to repeat her entire P1 year because of failing a class, I now am very interested in the programs themselves and their policies. I would like a program that retains the students they accept.

You're friend wasn't at Creighton, I assume, right? Just clarifying.

Not sure about the campus program and the drop rate, but distance is pretty non-existant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awww, you're making me regret not applying to Creighton now! I honestly like going to classes though. I've done distance learning before, my whole BS degree was via distance. It's soooo much harder learning on your own. I really didn't want to do that again.

On a brighter note, UNC posssibly accepts transfer students if anyones interested... I just talked to them. It's a little far from Ft Bragg but it's certainly closer than Austin! Guess I'll be setting my sights on UNC :D

Awww, you're making me regret not applying to Creighton now! I honestly like going to classes though. I've done distance learning before, my whole BS degree was via distance. It's soooo much harder learning on your own. I really didn't want to do that again.

On a brighter note, UNC posssibly accepts transfer students if anyones interested... I just talked to them. It's a little far from Ft Bragg but it's certainly closer than Austin! Guess I'll be setting my sights on UNC :D

UNC accepts transfers!! Thats great news! How far away are they from Bragg?

You're friend wasn't at Creighton, I assume, right? Just clarifying.

Not sure about the campus program and the drop rate, but distance is pretty non-existant.

Oh no, my friend goes to a state school in oklahoma. Finding that out that she had to repeat a whole year, even courses she passed, really sealed the deal for me not applying there. Oklahoma is my state of residency but I am an army wife and we currently reside in Texas.

UNC accepts transfers!! Thats great news! How far away are they from Bragg?

About 2-2.5 hours drive... guess it wouldn't be too different from what I was going to do here, live there during the week, come home on the weekends. Best I can do really, either that or live in two different states for the 3 years :oops:

About 2-2.5 hours drive... guess it wouldn't be too different from what I was going to do here, live there during the week, come home on the weekends. Best I can do really, either that or live in two different states for the 3 years :oops:

You could even see about completing rotations on or around post during the 4th year.

You could even see about completing rotations on or around post during the 4th year.

Maybe, if they have the same set up as UT. I really don't want to transfer though. I really just want to tell him you go to North Carolina and I'll stay in Texas until I'm finished. Or, don't take you job and stay here with me. Is that like completely selfish?

Maybe, if they have the same set up as UT. I really don't want to transfer though. I really just want to tell him you go to North Carolina and I'll stay in Texas until I'm finished. Or, don't take you job and stay here with me. Is that like completely selfish?

Check out the "New Post 9/11 GI Bill" http://www.military.com/new-gi-bill/

GI Bill transferable to spouses.:)

Oh no, my friend goes to a state school in oklahoma. Finding that out that she had to repeat a whole year, even courses she passed, really sealed the deal for me not applying there. Oklahoma is my state of residency but I am an army wife and we currently reside in Texas.

Uh oh.... which school was this?

My husband used up every last cent of his... what about you? Your husband have any left? That'd be great if you could use it :D

I dont think he used any of the GI bill money. He did the rotc route and they paid some of his schooling, monthy stipend, but I dont think it was the same money. The article stated that former cadets are eligible for the money, which makes me assume that he has not used it.

I will check on this. It would only pay a few thousand a year of pharmacy school, but that is more than nothing;)

I dont think he used any of the GI bill money. He did the rotc route and they paid some of his schooling, monthy stipend, but I dont think it was the same money. The article stated that former cadets are eligible for the money, which makes me assume that he has not used it.

I will check on this. It would only pay a few thousand a year of pharmacy school, but that is more than nothing;)

That's awesome! :D

Thanks for the response. I'm going to the other one, and it sounds like that's a good thing...

Oh, yeah. If I could live in Oklahoma for 4 more yrs, I would apply to SWOSU instead. There you only have to retake the courses you don't pass. I heard that 1/6th of the OU P1 class had to repeat most of their 1st year. I am not sure if this is accurate.