pharmacy volunteer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annievu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it's so hard to find a pharmacy place to volunteer...today i had tried Walgreen and all other local pharmacy stores, but everyone answered No...so disappointed...i even prepared resumes and everything...:(

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, not many chain stores have volunteer opportunities. But, hospitals definitely do. I got my first pharm volunteer gig by calling local hospitals. I'd tell them I was really interested in becoming a pharmacist and would like to volunteer in their pharmacy. I made the phone calls on a friday and had my first day of volunteering that following monday. Don't worry, you'll find a place that will have you :luck:

Large hospitals should have a volunteer services department. Call them up and they'll place you in a pharmacy if there's space available (should be though).

Members don't see this ad :)
it's so hard to find a pharmacy place to volunteer...today i had tried Walgreen and all other local pharmacy stores, but everyone answered No...so disappointed...i even prepared resumes and everything...:(

your best bet would be to find your local INDEPENDENT pharmacy! you may ask how i know this being pre-med... my family owns an independent pharmacy. we are always open to hard working individuals. IMO independent pharmacies are great cause you have the potential to learn many things you might never see in chain pharmacies, ie: we compound. good luck, keep searching (you dont want to volunteer @ walgreens anyways ;))

I volunteer at a free clinic here in my town. There is a pharmacy in the clinic and they were thrilled to bring me on to help. I have been helping out since last May. Are there not any clinics with pharmacies where you are?? I would try there. :)

I just walked into an Independent pharmacy and told the owner I was applying to pharmacy school, had my tech license and would like to volunteer. And he said sure, all women techs there I think he was happy to have a guy to talk to, he ended up writing me a recommendation. Independent pharmacy is the way to go, I had a lot more time to talk to the pharmacist and get his perspective on the profession. Like the above poster said, go to the little guys and tell them why you want to volunteer.
Big chains are busy and often just do not have the time to have a volunteer in the pharmacy and there is always the risk of theft.

i also tried the local small stores...but they also said they're busy...they said they dont have time to teach me and stuffs....i was surfing online on Walgreen website and found out they have Job Shadowing...i dont know which one is better....volunteer or job shadowing?

Go to the big hospitals with a filled out volunteer application and ask who's in charge, or when they're going to be there. Tell them you're there to learn, help them, work hard, and take the work load off their shoulders.

Be very direct and persistent and you'll get in the door.

Well once you are in there and job shadowing it will be much easier to convince them to let you stay on as a volunteer if you make a good impression. Get whatever you can, all experience is good on an application.

i also tried the local small stores...but they also said they're busy...they said they dont have time to teach me and stuffs....i was surfing online on Walgreen website and found out they have Job Shadowing...i dont know which one is better....volunteer or job shadowing?

My guess would be that volunteering is better. Even if you're not volunteering in a pharmacy you're DOING something. Job shadowing, based on everything I've read, you don't do anything. Just watch. It helps with perspective, but gives you no experience. Keep in mind though, either is better than neither.

I just walked into an Independent pharmacy and told the owner I was applying to pharmacy school, had my tech license and would like to volunteer. And he said sure, all women techs there I think he was happy to have a guy to talk to, he ended up writing me a recommendation. Independent pharmacy is the way to go, I had a lot more time to talk to the pharmacist and get his perspective on the profession. Like the above poster said, go to the little guys and tell them why you want to volunteer.
Big chains are busy and often just do not have the time to have a volunteer in the pharmacy and there is always the risk of theft.
How many hours did you volunteer per week?
I would also like to know from anybody how many hours/week is proper for shadowing

hey guys!!! good news...i got accepted in as a volunteer at this local small pharmacy store today...it was worth it after my 20+ calls to all local pharmacy stores...thanks u guys for helping out....:)