Pharmacy vs Medicine vs Nursing

spills

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am going to be a senior in high school next year and I'm having a hard time deciding between these three different careers. I currently work as a Pharmacy Tech at Walgreens and working is just alright, it's not the greatest job or the worst job but at times stressful. Also from reading these forums I hear the pharmacy job market is becoming saturated with all the new pharmacy schools popping up. Does anyone have any advice for me? And could someone tell me a little more about nursing and medicine? And could someone tell me the process of becoming a nurse or a doctor?
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

For becoming a doctor or a pharmacist, you would first have to take the pre-requisites for entering into medical school or pharmacy school and take whichever standardized test is needed. You would also need extracurriculars like volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. so that you would become competitive enough to get into these schools.

For becoming a doctor or a pharmacist, you would first have to take the pre-requisites for entering into medical school or pharmacy school and take whichever standardized test is needed. You would also need extracurriculars like volunteering, shadowing, research, etc. so that you would become competitive enough to get into these schools.

Technical standards are great, and so are learning about the prerequisite courses, but if you go into whichever one is easy, you won't be happy unless it's really what you want to do.

Nursing: Do you want to assist the doctors?

Medicine: Do you want to diagnose, assign treatments, or perform surgery?

Pharmacy: Do you want to know everything there is to know about drugs?

Members don't see this ad :)
they are all very different. Some of them get more compensation (salary) than others, Some have less weekly hours, some have more responsibility. my personal opinion is gain the most experience you can in all of these fields by the time ug and do what you love most.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you like. My dad's been a pharmacist for awhile at Walgreens, he likes it because he liked organic chemistry, which is vital in the pharmacy world. People will always say the sky is falling for certain careers, but I mean, its not like people are going to just stop taking prescription medications. Nursing and Medicine are also both excellent options. I always thought that becoming a doctor is way tougher than becoming a nurse, so that choice might just be how much you want to challenge yourself. Each field has its pros and cons. Best of luck

Technical standards are great, and so are learning about the prerequisite courses, but if you go into whichever one is easy, you won't be happy unless it's really what you want to do.

Nursing: Do you want to assist the doctors?

Medicine: Do you want to diagnose, assign treatments, or perform surgery?

Pharmacy: Do you want to know everything there is to know about drugs?

Nurses don't necessarily assist the doctors, their main job is to take care of the patient in a physical manner.

And clean and organize surgical material, count medical material like syringes and gauze to see nothing is missing mysteriously, revise that medical orders are logical and correct the doctor in case a typo or lack of sleep caused a dangerous drug order to be written (such as patient is allergic to penicillin and a tired doctor prescribes it)..

They check vitals, start IV lines, perform blood draws, assist surgeons during surgery, attend low risk births and other functions. I have many nurse friends and my job would be a lot harder without their help. :D

What do you do?