***Official 2010-2011 PharmCAS Questions Thread***

Started by rxrina
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks!

Does anyone have an answer to my other question?

- is there a way to change the order of the jobs you put in work experience? Or, do I have to delete them all, then retype them in order of importance?

I'll hafta get back to ya because I haven't even done that part yet. :laugh:😳
 
i just started filling out my pharmcas application!! 😀 and now i have a question about the statistics requirement that some schools have.. in college i took a psych stats class, and its listed as a psych class, but it really is more math based. when filling out my course info i should list it as psych though right? because that's how it shows up on my transcripts?

also.. do you think schools that require stats, will psych stats fulfill that requirement? or would you guys recommend i take "real" stats just to be safe?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i just started filling out my pharmcas application!! 😀 and now i have a question about the statistics requirement that some schools have.. in college i took a psych stats class, and its listed as a psych class, but it really is more math based. when filling out my course info i should list it as psych though right? because that's how it shows up on my transcripts?

also.. do you think schools that require stats, will psych stats fulfill that requirement? or would you guys recommend i take "real" stats just to be safe?

I would ask the individual schools if they would accept your psyc stat class and if they have questions about the course, send them the syllabus to verify. Otherwise, you may have to take the "real" stats course.
 
Hey guys, what if I've been listed as a co-author on some posters? Would I be able to list these under 'Publications' or should I not bother? The posters have had abstracts submitted/been presented at national conferences and will probably end up being written into a paper, but I just don't know when.
 
Hey guys, what if I've been listed as a co-author on some posters? Would I be able to list these under 'Publications' or should I not bother? The posters have had abstracts submitted/been presented at national conferences and will probably end up being written into a paper, but I just don't know when.



I believe only if you have published something then you can put something under that section.
 
i just started filling out my pharmcas application!! 😀 and now i have a question about the statistics requirement that some schools have.. in college i took a psych stats class, and its listed as a psych class, but it really is more math based. when filling out my course info i should list it as psych though right? because that's how it shows up on my transcripts?

also.. do you think schools that require stats, will psych stats fulfill that requirement? or would you guys recommend i take "real" stats just to be safe?

You might be able to get some schools to accept that class but I would guess most won't. Psych stats covers only specific areas of statistics and how to apply certain statistical tests to psychology and psychology research. Schools that require stats probably want you to have a broader knowledge of general statistics.

Hey guys, what if I've been listed as a co-author on some posters? Would I be able to list these under 'Publications' or should I not bother? The posters have had abstracts submitted/been presented at national conferences and will probably end up being written into a paper, but I just don't know when.

Posters are generally not considered publications - they are part of presentations...
 
I have a few questions that I'm confused about:

1. I was about to start filling in my coursework but I don't know how to put in my APs. I didn't take Calculus in college because my AP grade covered for it. Since that's the only AP that covered one of my pharm school prereqs, I dont know if I just enter that one AP score or all the other ones also like AP bio and AP chem. Also, how would you do that? Because I can only add classes under my universities.

2. Are you supposed to give some kind of evaluation form to your letter of rec writers? I didn't see one on PharmCAS and from the instructions, it seemed like only writers who are mailing in letters need to fill one out. Since I'm using a LOR service that will electronically submit the letters to PharmCAS, does that mean an eval form is not needed? Also, do I enter who my LOR writers are in PharmCAS? I haven't yet because I think that will send them an email giving them directions on how to send the letter to pharmcas and that will just confuse them.

Thanks for your help! 🙂
 
i know this question is kind of off topic but does ANYONE know where I can find schools that do not use pharmcas. My GPA would be much higher if pharmcas was not involved. thanks
 
I don't have a list, but I think USN doesn't use pharmacas. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
For those of you who have already e-submitted their pharmcas application, has pharmcas mailed your application to your designated schools yet? I e-submitted on 06-23-10 and my application is complete but pharmcas has not listed my application as mailed under the designated school tab. I thought I read somewhere that they don't start sending them until August, but I was curious if that was true or not.
 
For those of you who have already e-submitted their pharmcas application, has pharmcas mailed your application to your designated schools yet? I e-submitted on 06-23-10 and my application is complete but pharmcas has not listed my application as mailed under the designated school tab. I thought I read somewhere that they don't start sending them until August, but I was curious if that was true or not.



The first batch gets mailed out about August 1st.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys so I'm kind of concerned, Pharmcas hasn't been working for me for about 5 hours now. What happens is that I log in but all I see is my name at the top and my pharmcas ID and the rest of the page is just blank white space. I thought maybe it was a temporary glitch but I don't know, I'll call them Monday if it's not fixed by then but is this happening for any of you all?
 
Hey guys so I'm kind of concerned, Pharmcas hasn't been working for me for about 5 hours now. What happens is that I log in but all I see is my name at the top and my pharmcas ID and the rest of the page is just blank white space. I thought maybe it was a temporary glitch but I don't know, I'll call them Monday if it's not fixed by then but is this happening for any of you all?

Not reproducible. Try clearing out cache or a different browser.
 
Not reproducible. Try clearing out cache or a different browser.
I cleared out my cache didn't work. Restarted didn't work. And I thought I was out of luck since I didn't know I had IE on here (I use firefox) but I found it in the search and used it and it worked. So thanks 🙂 Haha you always help me with my problems, I really appreciate it. But it's weird, Firefox worked just fine w/Pharmcas until 6 hours ago. It's just clear white space under the name and ID number now on Firefox. I wonder what happened. It sux now that every time I want to check Pharmcas I have to find IE. I have to open that browser now for just that one site. Oh well, I hope it's worth it.
 
I cleared out my cache didn't work. Restarted didn't work. And I thought I was out of luck since I didn't know I had IE on here (I use firefox) but I found it in the search and used it and it worked. So thanks 🙂 Haha you always help me with my problems, I really appreciate it. But it's weird, Firefox worked just fine w/Pharmcas until 6 hours ago. It's just clear white space under the name and ID number now on Firefox. I wonder what happened. It sux now that every time I want to check Pharmcas I have to find IE. I have to open that browser now for just that one site. Oh well, I hope it's worth it.


👍
 
Try using FF's Safe Mode. Perhaps it's a configuration issue caused by security/feature settings or an add-on/extension.
 
hey guys i have a question,

Im DONE with everything on pharmcas except my references, my PCAT scores, calculated grades, and personal statement

From my understanding i can submit the whole application WITHOUT the references right? i mean i still have to have them, just not at the time of submission.

AND ALSO about how long did it take u guys to receive ur calculated GPAs after u sent pharmcas ur transcripts
 
hey guys i have a question,

Im DONE with everything on pharmcas except my references, my PCAT scores, calculated grades, and personal statement

From my understanding i can submit the whole application WITHOUT the references right? i mean i still have to have them, just not at the time of submission.

AND ALSO about how long did it take u guys to receive ur calculated GPAs after u sent pharmcas ur transcripts


Just make sure you include the personal statement as well. Yes you can e-submit it without having the references in at the time. I got my calculated GPAs the day after I submit my application but at that time they had already received my transcripts. Now, I would expect about 3-5 days before it gets reviewed since more people are submitting apps during this time.
 
Just make sure you include the personal statement as well. Yes you can e-submit it without having the references in at the time. I got my calculated GPAs the day after I submit my application but at that time they had already received my transcripts. Now, I would expect about 3-5 days before it gets reviewed since more people are submitting apps during this time.
👍 Yep I was gonna say the same thing. You can submit it without having the references done. I have one more reference left (2/3 completed) and 1 more effing transcript that has only ONE freaking art class, it's taking forever. I submitted on 6/23 and I'm still waiting for that one freaking transcript so they can calculate my GPA. And guess where the transcript is from? TEXAS. lol. And I've submitted the request TWICE. Ugh. It must be slow and hot down there.
 
Try using FF's Safe Mode. Perhaps it's a configuration issue caused by security/feature settings or an add-on/extension.
It works in Safe Mode with the add-ons disabled but all I have is Ad Block Plus and Movie Media Player 7 so I don't know why it's doing that. These aren't exactly high end add ons. Argh stupid pharmcas.
 
👍 Yep I was gonna say the same thing. You can submit it without having the references done. I have one more reference left (2/3 completed) and 1 more effing transcript that has only ONE freaking art class, it's taking forever. I submitted on 6/23 and I'm still waiting for that one freaking transcript so they can calculate my GPA. And guess where the transcript is from? TEXAS. lol. And I've submitted the request TWICE. Ugh. It must be slow and hot down there.



Such a hater.😛

Originally one of my schools did not send the transcript request form with my transcript and it took about 2 weeks for me to find out. I had to go back and request that they include the form and it took about 8 days for PharmCAS to process it. I would go back and see if they actually included the form because without it, it will definitely cause a delay. I don't know if you're applying to UoP but you definitely want to make it in Tier 1.

Edit: I'm gonna assume that you aren't in Texas right? If not, then there would be no way to get the form to them without physically being here so it might take some time.
 
Such a hater.😛

Originally one of my schools did not send the transcript request form with my transcript and it took about 2 weeks for me to find out. I had to go back and request that they include the form and it took about 8 days for PharmCAS to process it. I would go back and see if they actually included the form because without it, it will definitely cause a delay. I don't know if you're applying to UoP but you definitely want to make it in Tier 1.

Edit: I'm gonna assume that you aren't in Texas right? If not, then there would be no way to get the form to them without physically being here so it might take some time.
Haha no hate, I love Texas. Although I'm a Virginian 😛 but you know what? I lived in Texas for 3 months and did some gen ed classes there at 2 junior colleges. I sent both requests to them via fax and one of them got there before my Virginia transcripts! Thats how fast it was so the faxing the request w/the pharmcas form did indeed work.

The other one is being really slow and I don't know what's going on with them...I sent the first request 6/16 and the second one on 07/01. I only have one class on there (art of all things) so it's a little annoying my whole GPA delay is bc of that. I'm not applying to UOP lol just a Va school but still it might take a while for them to do the GPA calculations, so I hope they get with the program soon.
 
Haha no hate, I love Texas. Although I'm a Virginian 😛 but you know what? I lived in Texas for 3 months and did some gen ed classes there at 2 junior colleges. I sent both requests to them via fax and one of them got there before my Virginia transcripts! Thats how fast it was so the faxing the request w/the pharmcas form did indeed work.

The other one is being really slow and I don't know what's going on with them...I sent the first request 6/16 and the second one on 07/01. I only have one class on there (art of all things) so it's a little annoying my whole GPA delay is bc of that. I'm not applying to UOP lol just a Va school but still it might take a while for them to do the GPA calculations, so I hope they get with the program soon.


I would probably call them every single day and annoy the hell out of their ass. Persistence is a virtue my friend.👍
 
I would probably call them every single day and annoy the hell out of their ass. Persistence is a virtue my friend.👍
Definitely 👍 I'm just so busy with the PCAT studying and studying for other classes I feel I never have time haha. But I will definitely call them in the morning
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think it's possible to finish pharmcas and supplementals in 3 weeks? I want to submit my applications by the end of July. I've already started pharmcas and just need to write my essay, send in my transcripts, and get my LORs. I also started some of the supplementals but just really need to start the essays. Also for UOP, would I considered tier 1 or 2 if I submit my applications by Aug 1 but pharmcas has not received my transcripts/LORs. Thanks! so stressed out.
 
Do you think it's possible to finish pharmcas and supplementals in 3 weeks? I want to submit my applications by the end of July. I've already started pharmcas and just need to write my essay, send in my transcripts, and get my LORs. I also started some of the supplementals but just really need to start the essays. Also for UOP, would I considered tier 1 or 2 if I submit my applications by Aug 1 but pharmcas has not received my transcripts/LORs. Thanks! so stressed out.


Pharmcas usually takes about 4 to 5 weeks to process ur transcripts and calculate ur GPA AFTER they recieve your transcripts.:xf:
and u can always Esubmit cas app BEFORE ur references actually finish their letters, pharmcas just wont send out the app to any schools until AFTER they recieved the letters but u can still submit.
 
Do you think it's possible to finish pharmcas and supplementals in 3 weeks? I want to submit my applications by the end of July. I've already started pharmcas and just need to write my essay, send in my transcripts, and get my LORs. I also started some of the supplementals but just really need to start the essays. Also for UOP, would I considered tier 1 or 2 if I submit my applications by Aug 1 but pharmcas has not received my transcripts/LORs. Thanks! so stressed out.



Since it's still early in the application cycle, it might not take the full 5 weeks for them to calculate your GPA. The essay was the first thing I did for PharmCAS. Did that back in May and it still took me until the end of June to submit (I was trying to make sure the app was thorough). You want to get the transcripts out the way asap because, per PharmCAS, it will take about 10 days from the date they receive it to show up on your account. You are already down 12 days out of the month. With the LORs, as soon as they are submitted, assuming it's done electronically, it will show up almost instantly on your account. If it's done via mail, then it will take some time for them to process it on their system. At this point you may still be able to make tier 1 but you are really short on time.


PS. Your application is not considered complete until all LORs, transcripts and the app are submitted. Then they have to verify the info and calculate the GPA. Once the GPA is calculated then it is truly completed.
 
FYI... in my experience last year, I e-submitted around this time (1st-2nd week of July) and my app sat there until the first week of august. I called pharmcas repeatedly and they made it sound like they didn't look at any applications until that first round in august. fortunately the schools know when you esubmitted, but just be aware that when pharmcas says 4-5 weeks or whatever, it doesnt necessarily mean if you turn it before the big flood of apps it will be done earlier.

definitely get your transcripts, LORs in early. make the rate determining factor pharmcas verifying your app. that way you will have your side of the deal covered.
 
So I am thinking of applying to USC early decision, which does not require the PCAT. I plan on taking the PCAT in October and applying to other pharmacy schools as well. Is it possible for pharmcas to send out an early decision application to USC for me, then send out the other applications once I take my PCAT in october?
 
So I am thinking of applying to USC early decision, which does not require the PCAT. I plan on taking the PCAT in October and applying to other pharmacy schools as well. Is it possible for pharmcas to send out an early decision application to USC for me, then send out the other applications once I take my PCAT in october?



I believe only if you don't get accepted but then you would have to add the schools you want the app sent to.
 
unfortunately, pharmcas will send your application to all your designations once you e-submit. however, they will update your application as information becomes available (pcat scores, eLORs, etc.)

maybe you can esubmit for one designation first and then update your application with more schools and pay again?
 
Per PharmCAS:


Some participating colleges and schools offer “Early Decision” (ED) status through PharmCAS. The Early Decision program is a binding option for applicants who have decided that a particular pharmacy degree program is their first choice and that they will enroll if accepted. As an Early Decision applicant, you can apply to only one pharmacy degree program. Contact your selected pharmacy program directly for information on Early Decision eligibility requirements.
 
For those of you who have e-submitted pharmcas already and also applied to UOP, did you also submit your supplements for UOP at the same time?
 
So I am finishing the second half of human a and p on july 30. I am planning to start applying to schools very soon. Should I wait until this course is on my transcript, or should I just send PharmCAS my transcript today to get the ball rolling?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am finishing the second half of human a and p on july 30. I am planning to start applying to schools very soon. Should I wait until this course is on my transcript, or should I just send PharmCAS my transcript today to get the ball rolling?


Depends on if you're applying to schools with rolling admissions. If you are, then I would submit right now anyways. I just got done with my music course last weekend, still doing psychology and just started OChem II yesterday. I submitted my app back at the end of June. On PharmCAS you should indicate all planned or in progress courses that way they will know that you are in/plan to be in the course and you should be receiving credit for that course.

In short, it depends on if you are applying to schools with rolling admissions or not. Better to get it done early though.
 
For those of you who have e-submitted pharmcas already and also applied to UOP, did you also submit your supplements for UOP at the same time?

I e-submitted and turned in my supplemental application a couple of days after.
 
How long did it take for PharmCAS to receive your mailed letters of rec? I know on the website it says 4-5 weeks, but I am just so stressed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.