***Official 2010-2011 PharmCAS Questions Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you copy/paste directly from Word document, it won't look right. He put a space between each paragraph instead of using the normal indentation. It's also advised to copy/paste from Word to notepad first, then copy it over onto PharmCAS.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! So I am trying to get some advice on the personal essay on PharmCAS. Should I include in there explanations on any bad grades or withdraws, or do I not mention that until I fill out the supplementals?

Hi! So I am trying to get some advice on the personal essay on PharmCAS. Should I include in there explanations on any bad grades or withdraws, or do I not mention that until I fill out the supplementals?

I think this is better answered for the corresponding questions on the supplementals. Usually there will be a question where the schools ask you to write an optional essay or an essay about any extenuating situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

1. Where do we include AP credit that we received? Would it be under the first session of the primary institution where we received credit for it? Because, technically, the AP credit was before the beginning of the university classes. And my AP credits are listed before anything else on my transcripts. So where do they go?

2. Also, for academic status, should we look at the number of units that determine fr/so/jr/sr status at the beginning of that quarter or by the end of that quarter?

3. I know the instructions say to list CC courses as fr/so. Is that only if it is being counted as part of undergrad? What about CC classes you take after you receive your bachelor's? Would you designate the proper fr/so vs. jr/sr? Is that what the below statement is saying?

Assign Lower-division (Fr/So) or Upper-division (Jr/Sr) to any undergraduate level course
work, including undergraduate courses taken after the receipt of your initial BA/BS degree

Thanks in advance! :)

under the extracurricular section in pharmcas is anyone else listing events that were only one or a few days long? i've participated in one day science events and just want to make sure it's appropriate to include.

AMG CYN

1. First term of institution that accepted them.

2. Beginning.

3. All CC courses as lower division because course level is same regardless of your academic standing.

Anyone know anything about this ? Where does your information get released too ?

under the extracurricular section in pharmcas is anyone else listing events that were only one or a few days long? i've participated in one day science events and just want to make sure it's appropriate to include.

I did not include any events that felt like "fillers" to my resume. Although if the activity or event is personally important one that you can expand through your interviews then, I guess it's fine.

I think this is better answered for the corresponding questions on the supplementals. Usually there will be a question where the schools ask you to write an optional essay or an essay about any extenuating situation.

I second that. I'm currently doing the supplementals and it asks for additional info. that you would like them to consider.

What do I enter as my grade for AP credits? I think I read on the PharmCAS instructions to put 'NA', but there is no 'NA' option. I entered it as NG for now. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Letters of Recommendation question:

1. Do you know of any schools that require a LOR from a professor within ur major in particular the California schools?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
From the pharmcas instructions:

PharmCAS will match your PCAT scores to your application based on your PCAT CID. You MUST report your PCAT CID on your application and on your PCAT registration form. Applicants who have PCAT scores and do not report a PCAT CID must contact PharmCAS at 617-612-2050

and

IMPORTANT! PharmCAS will use your PCAT CID to match your PCAT scores to your application file. Your PCAT CID is supplied by Pearson and is different than your PharmCAS ID. If you do not report your PCAT CID, PharmCAS cannot send your PCAT scores, if any, to your designated pharmacy schools.

Alright well guess what... theres no place to put it on the application. I haven't taken the PCAT yet so I have no scores but I already have a CID number. But I have looked all over the application and there isn't a box for the CID...in the TEST section it says pick a test and then whether it's planned or taken and the month/year and thats it... so what the hell are we supposed to do then? Did you all find a way to include your CID?

Yes there is...

It's on the first page where you created a new PharmCAS account.. OR on the left side, there's an Account Information section under My Tools.

lol thanks a lot project, why they didn't put it in the test section is beyond me

I plan to take PCAT this june and august, and turn my application around september. At that time, i won't receive my B.S degree in Biochemistry yet. I need to finish 1 class, so i will have my B.S in december. Can I still update my info in application in december if i submit in september? I don't want to turn my application lately because i hear that people who turn there application soon get more chance to get in.

well for pharmcas...they ask for degree/EXPECTED degree and date/EXPECTED date. so you'll be fine with that...even if you e-submit in september I believe pharmcas contacts you about updating your class information at the end of fall semester (or whatever trisemester schedule that is). also there are some schools who are on rolling basis, meaning that the faster you submit, the faster they'll review your application...but some schools just wait until a certain to start reviewing application. so all-in-all... the best situation is to e-submit early, but don't rush and messup ur pharmcas cuz then i heard it takes FOREVER for them to correct it.

I listed an event that I setup along with my church, a fundraiser for a hospital, and that was only one day...so hopefully...

For ECs, what are you guys putting under 'Name of Organization' for personal interest things such as sports or if you've done tutoring (not working at an organization)?

For ECs, what are you guys putting under 'Name of Organization' for personal interest things such as sports or if you've done tutoring (not working at an organization)?

did u do sports as a club team? because I put Club Tennis-USTA. in my region the USTA sponsors the 'tennis on campus' , but if its just playing sports for fun...like playing basketball with friends...i don't know if i would put that in EC.

same goes with tutoring, i was a personal tutor for SAT kids, i put that under work experience and name of organization I just put "Personal Tutor". i tutored like 5 kids, but I couldnt put all the contact info for them, so hopefully if they do contact the one i put there, the people will let them kno that I tutored multiple kids :xf:...

Just wondering, and haven't found the answer to this:

Is is better to e submit the Pharmcas even before the PCAT scores are reported?
I am taking the June PCAT and thought that I would complete Pharmcas and e submit it around July 1-15 so that they could get started in it.
The PCAT scores will be reported by the first of August, I think.

Just wondering if it is better to have Pharmcas working on the application earlier, so that it would be all ready with the PCAT score added, or if most
people wait until the PCAT score is complete.

Taking a leap of faith that the PCAT score will be OK, also.

I am taking the June PCAT and thought that I would complete Pharmcas and e submit it around July 1-15 so that they could get started in it.

Just wondering if it is better to have Pharmcas working on the application earlier, so that it would be all ready with the PCAT score added, or if most

Well, if the schools you want to apply to require the PCAT, it won't matter if you wait till the scores come in. You can submit your PharmCAS first. As long as you designate PharmCAS as a recipient of your PCAT scores, it won't be a problem. They will send the scores in once received.

also i dont think any school will start their application process that early, where you have to e-submit earlier than the first week of august. heck, most ED kids just e-submit a week before deadline (usuallly last week of august or first week of september for schools that i saw)

Hi,
I am just wondering if pharmcas will send pcat scores to all schools that I apply to or just to schools that require it? One of the schools, my first choice, does not require the score and Im nervous that I will do awful on the test and that score will be sent and somehow ruin my chances. Thanks!

Hi,
I am just wondering if pharmcas will send pcat scores to all schools that I apply to or just to schools that require it? One of the schools, my first choice, does not require the score and Im nervous that I will do awful on the test and that score will be sent and somehow ruin my chances. Thanks!

If they don't require it then I doubt PharmCAS will send it to that institution. Even if they did, since the school does not require it then they will not factor your score into the decision making process. Don't worry about it.

I think PharmCAS defines "Work Experience" as a position you are paid.
I have the same question. Under Extracurricular it says, "Please list each extracurricular, leadership, volunteer, and/or community activities in order of importance to you (limit 10)"

Under Work Experience it says, "Enter any paid or volunteer work experience. Do not repeat any activities listed in the previous section."

So...does it matter?

Hi everyone. I still have have econ, speech, and physiology left. I'm wondering if I should try and take 2 of those classes this summer to try and boost my gpa which is 3.45 right now (I'm thinking I can bump it up to 3.5). OR should I focus on my apps and just turn them in asap. Thx in advance! :)

I was wondering, if I submit my PharmCas and would like to add a reference would I still be able to update that feature of I have to put all the references down before I submit? thanks

I have a question, if I submit my pharmcas and would like to add a reference after i submit my application, would I still be able to add or I would not?

On some of the supplemental applications, they ask the question "why pharmacy". Are we just saying the exact same thing we said in the pharmCAS application, but also tying it in with the specific school?
Thanks!

I have a question, if I submit my pharmcas and would like to add a reference after i submit my application, would I still be able to add or I would not?

From PharmCAS:

If one or more of your evaluators is unresponsive or declines your invitation to submit a letter of reference on your behalf, you may edit your evaluator contact information on your PharmCAS application before or after you e-submit your application to PharmCAS. You cannot make edits to your evaluator’s information once the evaluator’s reference is received.

I am a freshman in college right now. I was just wondering when is the earliest that I can get a PharmCAS account? Or when do any of you reccomend that I get an account?

I am a freshman in college right now. I was just wondering when is the earliest that I can get a PharmCAS account? Or when do any of you reccomend that I get an account?

I think it's great that you'd like to get an early start. :) When do you want to apply? Because of the information required for the actual application, it seems that creating an account this early with no intent to submit anytime soon would be kind of pointless.

I think it's great that you'd like to get an early start. :) When do you want to apply? Because of the information required for the actual application, it seems that creating an account this early with no intent to submit anytime soon would be kind of pointless.

well, from what I have been reading in this thread, people seem to be very confused throughout the process so I would like to just get a feel for the website. I have taken four classes so far: English 101, English 102, Speech 101 and Stats. Very basic classes. This fall I am taking five more classes. I would probably complete my junior year and then apply. That would be Spring 2013, I think. I get so confused with the years

well, from what I have been reading in this thread, people seem to be very confused throughout the process so I would like to just get a feel for the website. I have taken four classes so far: English 101, English 102, Speech 101 and Stats. Very basic classes. This fall I am taking five more classes. I would probably complete my junior year and then apply. That would be Spring 2013, I think. I get so confused with the years

Yes, the process can be confusing! :'( As of right now, I think if you create a log-in, you'd be able to use it again or add onto your account next year - atleast I believe that is the case for re-applicants. It could change by the time you submit, though.

Yes, the process can be confusing! :'( As of right now, I think if you create a log-in, you'd be able to use it again or add onto your account next year - atleast I believe that is the case for re-applicants. It could change by the time you submit, though.

Thanks for the insight. I'll hold off, despite my desire to constantly be ahead of the game! :laugh:

Hello,

My first post on SDN! Actually, i had couple of questions about Pharmcas. I know its pretty self explanatory but would still like to ask few questions to those who are familiar with it. I recently joined Pharmcas and started filling out the info. Is my next step to send them my transcripts and input all of my class information? Is the next step to submit LOR's? When exactly do i pay for it? Lastly, when should i submit it?

Thanks

Thanks for the insight. I'll hold off, despite my desire to constantly be ahead of the game! :laugh:

If I were you, I wouldn't create an account until you're ready to apply. What's the point?

Determine that by when you can take the PCAT, if you're applying to schools that require it. I'd recommend taking the PCAT after you've had OChem, Calc, and your bios. Only then would I create a Pharmcas acct.

You could start working on your personal statement. Focus the rest of your energy on getting good grades and some pharmacy experience.

If I were you, I wouldn't create an account until you're ready to apply. What's the point?

Determine that by when you can take the PCAT, if you're applying to schools that require it. I'd recommend taking the PCAT after you've had OChem, Calc, and your bios. Only then would I create a Pharmcas acct.

You could start working on your personal statement. Focus the rest of your energy on getting good grades and some pharmacy experience.

Working on my personal statement is a great idea, hadn't thought of that. Thanks :)

For those of you with AP scores for a course designated as a pre-requisite, did you send the College Board report to PHARMCAS? My high school has a copy and will be able to send it, and it is listed as a T on my college transcript.

I have a question about the "Do you have U.S. Military experience?" question.

When I was in college the first time, I was on an army ROTC scholarship. I have enlistment papers and discharge papers, but I was not on active duty except the one month that I was at camp. I was disqualified for health reasons as a 4th year cadet, so I was never commissioned.

Answer "yes" or "no"?

For those of you with AP scores for a course designated as a pre-requisite, did you send the College Board report to PHARMCAS? My high school has a copy and will be able to send it, and it is listed as a T on my college transcript.

PharmCAS doesn't want the AP scores. You will probably need to send an official score report directly from CollegeBoard to the school.. so check school policy.

I plan to take PCAT this june and august, and turn my application around september. At that time, i won't receive my B.S degree in Biochemistry yet. I need to finish 1 class, so i will have my B.S in december. Can I still update my info in application in december if i submit in september? I don't want to turn my application lately because i hear that people who turn there application soon get more chance to get in.
If you did search a little, you would have found tons of answeres on this question, First OFF, unless the 1 course left is a pre-requisit, it would NOT affect your application. Even if it's a pre-requisit, there an update window in December, (i think) that allows applicants to update recently completed course.
Pharmcas evem mentioned this on their FAQ. Did you just join SDN and want to make yourself known, OK now we kknow u are here. Welcome!

that is not true, every year around June a new application cycle begins. So your application from the previous year is completed deleted. Do not create an application with PharmCAS unless you are applying for the following year. It will be a waste of your time to do all the work and have it all deleted. read the guidelines on PharmCAS.org. they explain very well all the information.

If you did search a little, you would have found tons of answeres on this question, First OFF, unless the 1 course left is a pre-requisit, it would NOT affect your application. Even if it's a pre-requisit, there an update window in December, (i think) that allows applicants to update recently completed course.
Pharmcas evem mentioned this on their FAQ. Did you just join SDN and want to make yourself known, OK now we kknow u are here. Welcome!
You can only update the class and nothing else in your PharmCAS application and they give you the window in December to update any classes you completed and if your taking any spring courses. make sure you complete the application and review it, because once you E-submit that is it. You can still update the references, you have 4 references, and you can always add more schools and send in your transcripts pharmcas will automatically update your application.

I have a question about the "Do you have U.S. Military experience?" question.

When I was in college the first time, I was on an army ROTC scholarship. I have enlistment papers and discharge papers, but I was not on active duty except the one month that I was at camp. I was disqualified for health reasons as a 4th year cadet, so I was never commissioned.

Answer "yes" or "no"?
I would call PharmCAS and ask them.. they will be able to help you and give you the correct answer.

rxgrl, if you don't mind me asking which schools did u apply to?

Status
Not open for further replies.