PharmD article in JAMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigpharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out the first author of this article in JAMA that was on CNN and MSNBC. Something for all of you young pharmacists to strive for. Or you could take a sign on bonus at Walgreens and buy a brand new laptop... jk.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/300/24/2867

Members don't see this ad.

The true hero of this pub is actually the guy with the BA who made it into JAMA as a 4th Author. :thumbup:

It doesn't matter what initials one has behind the name... And honestly, it's probably the MPH aspect of the dual degree that is doing the real analysis.

Ignorant comment. Prove it....I can link up a few dozen other articles published in high end medical journals off the top of my head authored by PharmD's with no MPH.

MPH includes much more of the training necessary for such studies. Also it was clearly from an MPH perspective and statistically based. A Pharm.D was not necessary for the study. Perhaps you should prove it was if that's your viewpoint. A Pharm.D is a practice-based degree.

Never said a PharmD was necessary, who decides what is "necessary" for a study anyway? You implied (in my opinion) that a PharmD would not be suited or able to conduct such a study, which I called out as a patently absurd assertion.

Members don't see this ad :)
MPH includes much more of the training necessary for such studies. Also it was clearly from an MPH perspective and statistically based. A Pharm.D was not necessary for the study. Perhaps you should prove it was if that's your viewpoint. A Pharm.D is a practice-based degree. My point is that one doesn't need to be a pharmacist to publish such a study. The initials are meaningless in the academic world. Those individuals who are able to publish in high-end journals with the degree, are just a cut above the rest. It's obviously their own individual networking and gifts.

So why make a post highlighting which initials you thought were important for the research??? A bit contradictory to me.

MPH includes much more of the training necessary for such studies. Also it was clearly from an MPH perspective and statistically based. A Pharm.D was not necessary for the study. Perhaps you should prove it was if that's your viewpoint. A Pharm.D is a practice-based degree. My point is that one doesn't need to be a pharmacist to publish such a study. The initials are meaningless in the academic world. Those individuals who are able to publish in high-end journals with the degree, are just a cut above the rest. It's obviously their own individual networking and academic gifts, rather than a general reflection on the profession. (And "a few dozen" is a pretty small sample size, you should know that.)

I think your interpretation of my comment is off...

I said off the top of my head. Stop editing your post, I will keep dissecting it.

MPH includes much more of the training necessary for such studies. Also it was clearly from an MPH perspective and statistically based. A Pharm.D was not necessary for the study. Perhaps you should prove it was if that's your viewpoint. A Pharm.D is a practice-based degree. My point is that one doesn't need to be a pharmacist to publish such a study. The initials are pretty meaningless in the academic world. Those individuals who are able to publish in high-end journals with the degree, are just a cut above the rest. It's obviously their own individual networking and academic gifts, rather than a general reflection on the profession. (And "a few dozen" is a pretty small sample size, you should know that.)

I think your interpretation of my comment is off.

Why wouldn't it reflect on the profession? A few months ago for probably the first time in history lead articles in the New England Journal and JAMA were authored by PharmD's (no MPH). I asked a 30 year veteran of Clinical Pharmacy if this had ever been done and he replied, "probably not, but this is truly a big deal for the profession." I will trust him over a random P2, but thanks.

This is where your own poor self-image must come in...I was saying just the opposite... that you don't need a doctorate to conduct that sort of research. It could be done with a Masters (MPH specifically). You could read into the prestige factor as much as you want, or 'dissect' as you call it, but again, your interpretation is off.

Find me a week where individuals with a Masters degree had lead articles in NEJM and JAMA in the same week.....

People tell me my self-image is pristine.

Clinical what? :confused:
It's a nice, feel-good, event. But it surely means nothing for the average Pharm.D. A smart person will find his or her way to the top, regardless of degree.

Got me there, whoops.

Does that mean I win??? Damn I am sweet.

I deleted my posts since I don't need folks misinterpreting them thinking I'm somehow dissing pharmacy.

I thought you were making it clear in subsequent posts that you were not dissing pharmacy intentionally.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was. :thumbup:

Perhaps I was a bit crass in my posts, but I think it is a huge deal when PharmD's publish in journals that at one point people would have thought it to be a ridiculous notion. I, like you, think that anyone is capable of doing great things, independent of their degree. It is just a matter of, well, being good (as you stated).

Professional pride is not necessarily a horrible thing, and I think ours is one that could use more of it once in a while (besides being proud that you cranked out 700 [245 via drive thru] scripts in a day once).

Yeh, and it does help to know that if you put in a lot of effort, that the Pharm.D degree is respectable to some of the top journals out there. Not every journal publishes author degrees but to the ones that do, the letters do matter. It shows some equity with the other professions. It would be nice to see more Pharm.D's publishing. It changes perception of what a pharmacist does to include much more than the ones the media always seems to show when one's on tv.

In my opinion, PharmD's have garnered attention and been recognized at perhaps the ultimate level of research:

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/PharmD/

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/News/Reports/pharmd_12132006.htm

The JAMA publication linked by the OP only builds on this.

It is Christmas eve and you guys are fighting over something this silly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the first author of this article in JAMA that was on CNN and MSNBC. Something for all of you young pharmacists to strive for. Or you could take a sign on bonus at Walgreens and buy a brand new laptop... jk.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/300/24/2867

It gives me great pride when any pharmacist accomplishes something that brings credit to the profession. I have been a practicing community pharmacist for 26 years, the last eight have been with CVS.

Your comments are rude condescending and are just plain untrue. If you think I don't have a clinical practice or don't use my clinical skills because I also dispense, you are sadly mistaken. Your comments show you have lack of knowledge about the way I practice and just because you have a PharmD after your name doesn't prove you know much of anything.

I think you need to rethink your attitude about what happens in community pharmacy.

Young pharmacists, don't listen to this guy. Strive to be great no matter where you practice. The author is not a great pharmacist because he got published, he got published because he is a great pharmacist.

It gives me great pride when any pharmacist accomplishes something that brings credit to the profession. I have been a practicing community pharmacist for 26 years, the last eight have been with CVS.

Your comments are rude condescending and are just plain untrue. If you think I don't have a clinical practice or don't use my clinical skills because I also dispense, you are sadly mistaken. Your comments show you have lack of knowledge about the way I practice and just because you have a PharmD after your name doesn't prove you know much of anything.

I think you need to rethink your attitude about what happens in community pharmacy.

Young pharmacists, don't listen to this guy. Strive to be great no matter where you practice. The author is not a great pharmacist because he got published, he got published because he is a great pharmacist.

Oldtimer, because you are an oldie, you might not understand what jk means. It means joking in youngie language. . .

It is Christmas eve and you guys are fighting over something this silly.

I apologize to the great arbiter of what people should do on random days. It actually evolved into a decent exchange. Get off the chat boards and go spend some time with your family or something.

I'm happy somebody isn't talking about Christmas. My God that holiday is annoying. I wish it would die.

You like Florida minus 3 or what?? Haven't seen a grand prediction from you yet on the FNC......

****, I'd take Florida -10. What's the difference between Stoops and Fruit Loops...yeah...you know the joke...

Just grasping for something to potentially hold over your head for the next 24 months.

Oh yeah, per the Infectious Disease Society of America, guidelines on the appropriate use and monitoring of vancomycin is apparently due out January 2009. They usually will publish their guidelines in Clinical Infectious Diseases, but they will be available free on the website.

Just grasping for something to potentially hold over your head for the next 24 months.

Yeah...but if Oklahoma wins...you can't REALLY hold it over my head...I'd just laugh at you for bringing it up.

Oh yeah, per the Infectious Disease Society of America, guidelines on the appropriate use and monitoring of vancomycin is apparently due out January 2009. They usually will publish their guidelines in Clinical Infectious Diseases, but they will be available free on the website.

About damn time. Is that "magazine" January or literal January. Oh, wait, it's almost January naturally...nevermind...

About damn time. Is that "magazine" January or literal January. Oh, wait, it's almost January naturally...nevermind...

With them, January 2009 means December 2009. However, their "projected release date" is on its third revision, which makes me almost believe the **** is ready for print.

Good, good. And when it does come out, we need you to come a-runnin' down the hallway, wavin' the article around in the air...like Paul Revere warning everyone that the damned British are coming...or whatever the internet equivalent of that is.

In my opinion, PharmD's have garnered attention and been recognized at perhaps the ultimate level of research:

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/PharmD/

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/News/Reports/pharmd_12132006.htm

The JAMA publication linked by the OP only builds on this.

Great Links!!! Pharmacist research seems to be in its infancy to me but there seems to be great potential in this direction like in pharmacogentics. Are you doing a fellowship or planning on a research career?

Deep breath...count to 10.....

I dont think I mentioned anything about clinical practice or knowledge in my post.

First off the comment was based on a recent thread made by a community rph discussing the shiny new laptop they just bought with their great sign on bonus. IMHO this is embarrassing, but to each his own. Good luck finding that in the MD forum. I find it disheartening when I go teach and all the students talk about is how much their sign on bonus, etc. will be and don't even care about learning a thing.

Second if you knew anything about me besides my sign-on name you would know that I worked in the trenches prior to my current career choice. I dispensed, counseled, profiled, verified, compounded, med rec'd, etc. I have more "real life" pharmacy experience than 99% of my "clinical" colleagues. Actually, I think I am one of the only ones who knows how to make an iv where I work.

Lastly, you would also know that I am married to a community pharmacist and hear all about it every evening, weekend, and holiday.:)
Take a deep breath before you post and gather more info.

Merry xmas

I deleted my posts since I don't need folks misinterpreting them thinking I'm somehow dissing pharmacy.

The difference between an MPH or BA and a PharmD MPH, MD MPH, NP MPH is clinical knowledge. Many plain MPH or BAs will help with studies like this but lack the clinical experience to know what is truly relevant and would make an impact on practice. They are typically not the one's coming up with the ideas for research studies such as this. Translational research is a huge area, and is typically done by people with a clinical background.

30 mg/kg loading infusions for the sick people.......sweet.

This is ground breaking news..!

Start using the drug right instead of writing for linezolid because the Pfizer reps took you to dinner and gave you shiny pens!!!

Start using the drug right instead of writing for linezolid because the Pfizer reps took you to dinner and gave you shiny pens!!!

I just switch everyone to daptomycin...6 mg/kg and forget about it...no levels or monitoring...gotta love it...me and the rep are tight

I just switch everyone to daptomycin...6 mg/kg and forget about it...no levels or monitoring...gotta love it...me and the rep are tight

Until the autopsy reveals overwhelming amounts of Staphylococci in the patient's lung.

Until the autopsy reveals overwhelming amounts of Staphylococci in the patient's lung.

HAHHAHAHHAAH

I did a consult on a patient the other day and in the physician note it said possibly DC vanc and start daptomycin for Staph in the lungs. I promptly left a note....

Guys read about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29961791/

Not that it's breaking news or anything...just interesting. I've wondered before how/who decides what is published regarding conflict of interest.

Argh...the dark side of science :thumbdown:. I'm willing to give the original author the benefit of the doubt. Other conflicts of interest *were* disclosed, so perhaps the failure to disclose the link re: the anti-depression med was simply an oversight.

w/o having read the JAMA article or whistle-blower's letter, I tend to agree with the JAMA editors that accusations should be somewhat substantiated before you go around besmirching the reputations of academicians publicly.

Deep breath...count to 10.....

I dont think I mentioned anything about clinical practice or knowledge in my post.

First off the comment was based on a recent thread made by a community rph discussing the shiny new laptop they just bought with their great sign on bonus. IMHO this is embarrassing, but to each his own. Good luck finding that in the MD forum. I find it disheartening when I go teach and all the students talk about is how much their sign on bonus, etc. will be and don't even care about learning a thing.

IMHO, others may find it embarrassing that pharmacists are jumping up and down celebrating a publication in JAMA from a pharmacist...not one's own pub, but that a pharmacist could publ. in JAMA, at all....universal jubilation that a pharmacist wrote an article and published it in a top-notch journal...good luck finding that in the MD forum when MD's publish in there.

w/o having read the JAMA article or whistle-blower's letter, I tend to agree with the JAMA editors that accusations should be somewhat substantiated before you go around besmirching the reputations of academicians publicly.

But does this give them the right to threaten and attack Mr. Leo's reputation? I've read "ban from JAMA for life...he, his students, and school will be sorry...his actions lack represent lack of confidence in JAMA...should not submit future manuscripts to JAMA..." etc etc etc. So harsh...they sound like the mob. :eek:

IMHO, others may find it embarrassing that pharmacists are jumping up and down celebrating a publication in JAMA from a pharmacist...not one's own pub, but that a pharmacist could publ. in JAMA, at all....universal jubilation that a pharmacist wrote an article and published it in a top-notch journal...good luck finding that in the MD forum when MD's publish in there.

What?:confused::confused::confused:

Guys read about this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29961791/

Not that it's breaking news or anything...just interesting. I've wondered before how/who decides what is published regarding conflict of interest.

each of the major medical journals require full disclosure of conflicts of interest....some of them only require ones where you accept a certain amount of money others have other restrictions...this guy forgot to mention a major one...i think the point here is that this is on an "honor" basis and no one is really checking into this to make sure they have disclosed everything

I think the problem with all of this is who would you like to learn about the drug from...an MD or pharmd who uses it and practices...or some guy who only works for the company...and should the person get reimbursed for their services...I am sure priapism has an opinion?

But does this give them the right to threaten and attack Mr. Leo's reputation? I've read "ban from JAMA for life...he, his students, and school will be sorry...his actions lack represent lack of confidence in JAMA...should not submit future manuscripts to JAMA..." etc etc etc. So harsh...they sound like the mob. :eek:

good point