PharmD in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CityMermaid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know anything about working with a PharmD in Canada.
Is the degree accepted, is the job market and pay similar to here?
Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since healthcare is socialized, PharmD's don't make nearly as much as they do in the U.S.

We just talked about this in discussion the other day.

Thanks,
It makes sense about the pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
CityMermaid said:
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know anything about working with a PharmD in Canada.
Is the degree accepted, is the job market and pay similar to here?
Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Canada is not yet on the all pharm. D program, so it takes 6 years to get your pharm D over there. Consequently not many have their pharm D. The pay as well is a lot less than in US. Depending on experience, area, size of the hospital you could be making anywhere from 30-38 canadian dolars, which is like 26-34 american. WHereas in retail in Canada you may make as much as 45 canadian or like 37-38 american, but in States you make WAY more. Say in hospital you would be making starting 40+, whereas in retail even more. Plus in States pharm D's get to do more stuff than pharm D's in canada. Good luck.

Also to get licenced in Canada you have to do their boards and a 3 month internship working 40 hours a week, or a 6 mos internship working 18 hours a week.

Maybe I should help clear some of the confusion here... I'm Canadian ;). The professional degree in Canada is a B.Sc. in Pharmacy, its a four year program that requires at least one year of undergrad at university before applying - most successful applicants already hold a degree.

Canada does not have "socialized medicine" per say... we have public health insurance. But, this insurance does not cover pharmacy at all, only "medically necessary" procedures and a few other things that are thought to be important like eye exams for children and seniors. People either pay out of pocket or the pharmacist bills the patients private, employer insurance for their meds.

The above income estimate is definately not correct - I would assume that most are making around 100K, some much more... but this is what I found on the web:

Licensed pharmacists usually make between $50,000 and $65,000 a year. Earnings vary depending on experience and responsibilities as well as the size of the employer. Those working for hospital pharmacies in urban areas earn higher salaries than those working in small community pharmacies in rural areas. Those who own and successfully run community pharmacies may make as much as $80,000 or $90,000 a year.

Hope that helps!!

jefguth said:
Maybe I should help clear some of the confusion here... I'm Canadian ;). The professional degree in Canada is a B.Sc. in Pharmacy, its a four year program that requires at least one year of undergrad at university before applying - most successful applicants already hold a degree.

Canada does not have "socialized medicine" per say... we have public health insurance. But, this insurance does not cover pharmacy at all, only "medically necessary" procedures and a few other things that are thought to be important like eye exams for children and seniors. People either pay out of pocket or the pharmacist bills the patients private, employer insurance for their meds.

The above income estimate is definately not correct - I would assume that most are making around 100K, some much more... but this is what I found on the web:

Licensed pharmacists usually make between $50,000 and $65,000 a year. Earnings vary depending on experience and responsibilities as well as the size of the employer. Those working for hospital pharmacies in urban areas earn higher salaries than those working in small community pharmacies in rural areas. Those who own and successfully run community pharmacies may make as much as $80,000 or $90,000 a year.

Hope that helps!!
hmm...I think that depends on where you go. I was talking to someone who was from Canada (can't remember which part) but the first post on salaries was around what she said. She was trying to come down to the states and work after she got her degree.

jefguth said:

Hope that helps!!

Do you guys wear Canadian Tuxedos behind the counter? :confused:

I don't get it... :confused: What is a Canadian tuxedo?

baggywrinkle said:
What kind of tie would go with that?
:eek:

and I thought that stereotype went the other way across the 49th parallel.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the previous (helpful) posts! We've been considering this too, as my husband is from Canada as well and we're considering a move up north in the next few years... as it stands, here's something I also found helpful:

http://www dot ubcpharmacy dot org/cpe/programs/IPGProgram.htm

or

http://www.ubcpharmacy.org/cpe/programs/IPGProgram.htm
(not sure if the link will work otherwise)

Currently, the cost would be $13K (CDN) for an additional 6 months of education through U of T (Leslie Dan SOP...) Ack.. after taking out as many loans to be at the state school I am at now, not sure if I can deal with another $10K (US) for a six month program... I have been hearing that reciprocity agreements might be changing in the next few years, but I'm not holding my breath! :)

hmm,
Doesn't really sound like grads from the US would need to take a program like that. I think that as long as you do the exams and any requireed internship then that should be satisfactory. I think programs like these are meant more to give qualificatios to grads from outside North American - such as pharmacists from UK and other parts of europe or elsewhere where the education is similar but not recognized or not as clinical in nature.

jefguth said:
hmm,
Doesn't really sound like grads from the US would need to take a program like that. I think that as long as you do the exams and any requireed internship then that should be satisfactory. I think programs like these are meant more to give qualificatios to grads from outside North American - such as pharmacists from UK and other parts of europe or elsewhere where the education is similar but not recognized or not as clinical in nature.

Jefguth.... thanks!
I hope not, but this is the only info I have pulled up so far... do you have any further info on how we can move back 'home'? (My husband is from Windsor, went to Univerisity there, and his sister went to Western and is living in Toronto- we'd love to head up north someday!)

Any advice would be appreciated- or feel free to send me a PM!

HI Apteka,

Unfortunately I don't know much about the process here (only in my third year of Honours Science at U of Waterloo), but check this page out, looks like it should answer some of your questions or provide some contact info someone who will be able to help you more:

http://www.ocpinfo.com There is a link on the left titled "Triained in Canada / US"

You might also like to check out the discussion board of the Undergrad Pharmacy Society at UofT:

http://www.utups.ca/forum/

Pharmcists are in very high demand in Ontario right now. UofT is increasing enrolled by a large figure for 20005, and is also creating a joint program with Waterloo, to begin in 2007 or 20008 - So I'm sure you will not have much trouble heading North!

Hope that is of help to you and your husband.

Thank you! I appreciate the info! I'll look into it. I'm still in my 1st year here in SF, so it kind of also depends on how quickly I'll need to pay off my student debt. :scared:

Hopefully it wont' take too long! We're hoping to get back up north soon, my husband misses 'cottage life', snowmobiling, winters in Ontario, and life up on the lake!

Hope you're keeping warm up there!

jefguth said:
Here is a good explanation of the international program at UBC and a brief paragraph on the shortage in Canada.
http://www.news.utoronto.ca/bin5/040329a.asp

Hey jef, i'm another Canadian over here =D only I'm at UBC.
I heard getting into pharm school is even harder than med school at UofT is that true?

Does that mean the pay for a pharmacist over there is greater than it is in BC? ( our average salary is around $55000/year )

Hey Cure4cancer,

Thats what I heard from a UofT rep when I was in high school, but honestly, I don't think he really knew what he was talking about! Medicine in definately harder to get into at UofT (or anywhere in Ontario/Canada). I think the main reason people think this is true is because UofT Pharmacy recieves a little more than 1000 applications for 180 spots (240 for fall 2005). Also, Pharmacy (at UofT) doesn't require the extensive essays and personal statements and intervies required by medicine. Furthermore, applicants do not have to write a standardized test like medicine or pharmacy in the USA and some other schools in Canada. There is a test, however it is more of a written interview than a test of critical knowledge. Finally, UofT only requires one year undergrad and some of the courses can be supplemented with OAC/highschool courses.

I don't think its really all that hard to get in, plus there are increasing enrollement for 2005 admissions and the University of Waterloo is building a school of pharmacy in cooperation with UofT to open in 2007 at the earliest. That school should have around 140 seats if I recall correctly.

What would make it harder for someone like you is that UofT will only allow a maximum of 10% out of province students.

I tend to think that the average salary you gave is low. Don't people in BC make more money? Thought it was a very expesive place to live, or is that just Vancouver? I don't really know for certain, but I've been told new grads can expect to start making at least $33/hour (thats about $70 000 for a 40h work week) and some will make more depending on geographic location ($45+/hour in northern or rural ontario)

You may want to check out this forum: http://www.utups.ca/forum

Working in Canada suddenly crossed my mind and I decdided to do a searc hand this is what I found. Anyone have updates or more recent information?

What schools are in canada? can someone send me a website?
Im considering canada, Im not in pharmacy for the money.

What schools are in canada? can someone send me a website?
Im considering canada, Im not in pharmacy for the money.

From what I gather you can get a PharmD in the US and it transfers over in Canada after you take their licensing exams.

From what I gather you can get a PharmD in the US and it transfers over in Canada after you take their licensing exams.

Ya this is my understanding as well.

On a sidenote, from looking at this thread, people were much more civil/helpful back in the day, in the much simpler and innocent days of 2004.