PharmD/PhD? PharmD/MBA? Dual degrees...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMS11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be attending pharm school next year and I already have my BS in biochemistry and have substantial research experience. I found I really enjoy research and was just wondering if any of you have your PharmD/PhD's and if so, what type of opportunities were available to you that PharmD's did not have. Or even just let me know what your job is now.
Basically anybody with a dual degree I'm wondering what you guys do?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be attending pharm school next year and I already have my BS in biochemistry and have substantial research experience. I found I really enjoy research and was just wondering if any of you have your PharmD/PhD's and if so, what type of opportunities were available to you that PharmD's did not have. Or even just let me know what your job is now.
Basically anybody with a dual degree I'm wondering what you guys do?
Thanks

We kinda have a PharmD/PhD at UNC, but the program is still in its early stages. There are numerous opportunities available for those with dual degrees, but it depends on what your PhD or other degree is in. Someone with a PharmD and a PhD in pharmaceutics for instance may specialize in optimizing drug formulations for clinical trials and may reformulate existing drugs to achieve more optimal therapeutic effects. In my case I'm going for a PhD in med chem so I would be looking at drug design and using the knowledge of my PharmD to compare existing drugs on the market to new chemical entities.

you can take it a lot of different directions and job opportunities are available in both industry and in academia. I like academia in that you have the freedom to work on what you want. If you have success, you get a patent on your new drug or formulation and license it to companies.

Additionally some PharmD / PhDs have a clinical practice in addition to a research lab. They bring what they see in clinic to the research lab to determine the direction of their research. And occasionally research findings that you've come across can come in useful for the treatment of a particular patient.

Hope this helps.

How about PharmD/MBA or PharmD/JD - I'd like to combine my interests in pharmacy and business through one of these degrees.

Anyone have any insight regarding the career opportunities for these two dual degrees?

There are MBA PGY-2 residency programs across the country. It isn't intertwined with specific schools while your getting your Pharm D., but you can get the additional degree afterwards.