PharmD to a Nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CYNTO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I still have my PharmD but just got accepted into bsn nursing. Which will cost about 40k. I already do have a current 200k in student loan debt from my PharmD and a disciplinary action. Can't find a job, so wording if I should go for the nursing or not

Members don't see this ad.

I would continue looking for a job to be honest. I can’t imagine not being able to land ANY job of you are willing to relocate anywhere in the country.

Reactions: 1 user
I am beginning to think about such as well. Thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad :)
I would continue looking for a job to be honest. I can’t imagine not being able to land ANY job of you are willing to relocate anywhere in the country.
I am beginning to think so.

I'd look into a non-healthcare profession. Try getting a computer science degree, or go to a coding bootcamp for $10k and 4 months?

The nursing job market, as most other healthcare professions, are completely saturated as well.

The nursing job market, as most other healthcare professions, are completely saturated as well.

What are you talking about? Google "nursing shortage". Why do you think nurses got hazard pay and pharmacists didn't?

I'd look into a non-healthcare profession. Try getting a computer science degree, or go to a coding bootcamp for $10k and 4 months?

I thought there would always be need for nurses

The need seems to be in areas where single women would not want to work and many women juggle kids or have a husband, which seems to keep numbers of nurses down in the face of crushing overproduction by edu inc.

Nursing has a really good job outlook. However, I don't know if I can handle the work environment/load :)

i am not familiar with NPDB, can you elaborate?

National Provider Data Bank, the national database for credential revokes and professional discipline. If you have a record in it, you have to explain it every time you seek a license or want to enter professional schooling.

• Haha
What are you talking about? Google "nursing shortage". Why do you think nurses got hazard pay and pharmacists didn't?

I have heard that lot of new BSN grads have had a hard time finding jobs. Though once you have a few years of experience then you have it much easier.

Still probably far better than the dumpster fire our profession is in.

Members don't see this ad :)
National Provider Data Bank, the national database for credential revokes and professional discipline. If you have a record in it, you have to explain it every time you seek a license or want to enter professional schooling.

That nabp is a concern to me. Although my pharmd license is now in good standing and active Yes I do have it onon as I don't want to pack on more debts and schooling and dn have difficulty finding jobs or licensing .

Two schools have given nursing admissions but have not done background check yet. Should I even go for it or not waste my time.

I truly love my profession as pharmacist, but the job is what I am still hoping to find. Praying the NABP don't have any impact on dt

My wife is a nurse. She gets emails and job offers all the time. Where she working now she writes her own schedule while making more than new Pharm D grads. She only has an associates degree, no advanced training. She never had student loans, she does better than most pharmacist I know.

Reactions: 5 users
I have heard that lot of new BSN grads have had a hard time finding jobs. Though once you have a few years of experience then you have it much easier.

That’s because most end up in med surg. And the pandemic furloughed those nurses in med surg. But now elective surgery is coming back to 90%

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I still have my PharmD but just got accepted into bsn nursing. Which will cost about 40k. I already do have a current 200k in student loan debt from my PharmD and a disciplinary action. Can't find a job, so wording if I should go for the nursing or not

I would take BSN offer. Network to see if you can get cardiac icu or neuro icu experience. Work some years in ICU and apply to CRNA school

So much misinformation on this page trying to confuse OP, it is unbelievable, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
That nabp is a concern to me. Although my pharmd license is now in good standing and active Yes I do have it onon as I don't want to pack on more debts and schooling and dn have difficulty finding jobs or licensing .

Two schools have given nursing admissions but have not done background check yet. Should I even go for it or not waste my time.

I truly love my profession as pharmacist, but the job is what I am still hoping to find. Praying the NABP don't have any impact on dt

Let them tell you will not get accepted after the background check. Don’t leave by just assuming nursing admissions will reject you. I doubt NABP will affect admissions to nursing. I do not see how it could. And pharmacists are not included in this NPDB data bank, lol. Pharmacists don’t have a NPI number

This list of who reports on who on this NPDB. Nothing to do with admissions into nursing school. If you had to report to this data bank, then not many would transition into medical school or nursing school right after pharmacy school.

That's not what you said at all, you said nursing is completely saturated which is a lie.

Reactions: 3 users

False, 12% growth in a eight year period til 2028.

I would take BSN offer. Network to see if you can get cardiac icu or neuro icu experience. Work some years in ICU and apply to CRNA school

Suggestions and getting it done is not an issue, the disturbing concern is the 200k debt I still owe on my PharmD education, and the fact that there was a prior disciplinary action on my PharmD license. The ban is 40k,I don't want to go through this and have problems getting job, or not likening or enjoying the job as a nurse. I was told nurse work long hours and are always stressed

Suggestions and getting it done is not an issue, the disturbing concern is the 200k debt I still owe on my PharmD education, and the fact that there was a prior disciplinary action on my PharmD license. The ban is 40k,I don't want to go through this and have problems getting job, or not likening or enjoying the job as a nurse. I was told nurse work long hours and are always stressed
You won’t have problems getting a job. Most nursing jobs are longer hours, but you will have a job compared to pharmacy. Okay, maybe the disciplinary action might be an issue, but wait till admissions ask you to explain what happened. If your issue is debt, then you can do PLSF and work rural as a nurse.

You won’t have problems getting a job. Most nursing jobs are longer hours, but you will have a job compared to pharmacy. Okay, maybe the disciplinary action might be an issue, but wait till admissions ask you to explain what happened. If your issue is debt, then you can do PLSF and work rural as a nurse.

You are too much!!! are you doing the same thing?

I am already doing volunteer service with americorp vista, a program that let u volunter your time with out pay for one year, then get quick asscess to government jobs

False, 12% growth in a eight year period til 2028.
Doesn't mean a whole lot if number of graduates are rapidly outpacing the 12% growth plus whatever attrition rate nursing has.

I fully admit that I know nothing about the nursing job market and I have no idea if that's happening. But you have to look at more than an industry's growth rate.

There has been an explosion of nursing schools in the last decade as with pharmacy schools.

Previously, nurses only needed an associates degree which they could complete at a community college. Now many jobs require a BSN to be competitive, if not outright.

The good thing is that the field is still growing. This, in comparison is better than pharmacy which we're dealing with a shrinking job market and a very high number of new grads each year.

There has been an explosion of nursing schools in the last decade as with pharmacy schools.

Previously, nurses only needed an associates degree which they could complete at a community college. Now many jobs require a BSN to be competitive, if not outright.

The good thing is that the field is still growing. This, in comparison is better than pharmacy which we're dealing with a shrinking job market and a very high number of new grads each year.

Hence the decision is worth the while to go for it right?

Hence the decision is worth the while to go for it right?
Yes, but can you find a way to pay off your loans quicker. Adding debt is what you are concerned. Have you also checked if nursing school offers scholarships. Or another thing you can do instead of plsf is work while going to school as a pharmacist

BSN programs are competitive now and the standard now to get in to keep the demand of nursing high. Nurses are essential workers and plus they have a powerful lobby.

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't mean a whole lot if number of graduates are rapidly outpacing the 12% growth plus whatever attrition rate nursing has.

I fully admit that I know nothing about the nursing job market and I have no idea if that's happening. But you have to look at more than an industry's growth rate.
It is ironic on this forum how with pharmacy folks take BLS as an accurate prediction, but with other professions job growth it becomes a question mark. Nurses with nursing experience especially ICU are not struggling for jobs from what I have heard. New grads maybe because most end up in med surg.

You will definitely find a job as a nurse in any city you live in. For what its worth, they have always been hiring nurses in every hospital in my region every month for the past 2 years when I searched.

There's not much that I usually agree with you on, but I actually agree with everything said here.
True that it seems like there's tons of nursing jobs, however they're pretty reluctant to hire a new grad (at least where they can still get plenty of applicants). I had a friend who graduated a BSN program recently who took 4-5 months to get their first job (and it was medsurg). This was in a metropolitan area, and they weren't willing to relocate.
I work in a BFE hospital and let me tell ya....some of the new grad nurses they hire scare the $*!# out of me! So I can understand why they'd be so reluctant to hire a new grad nurse, but out in BFE they don't have a choice so I know at least currently you can still get a job as a new grad nurse in BFE.
Also as I was searching for my current position, I saw a posting for a residency for nurses (like BSN not nurse practitioners). So.....that'll be a common thing in 10-15 years.

Reactions: 3 users
There's not much that I usually agree with you on, but I actually agree with everything said here.
True that it seems like there's tons of nursing jobs, however they're pretty reluctant to hire a new grad (at least where they can still get plenty of applicants). I had a friend who graduated a BSN program recently who took 4-5 months to get their first job (and it was medsurg). This was in a metropolitan area, and they weren't willing to relocate.
I work in a BFE hospital and let me tell ya....some of the new grad nurses they hire scare the $*!# out of me! So I can understand why they'd be so reluctant to hire a new grad nurse, but out in BFE they don't have a choice so I know at least currently you can still get a job as a new grad nurse in BFE.
Also as I was searching for my current position, I saw a posting for a residency for nurses (like BSN not nurse practitioners). So.....that'll be a common thing in 10-15 years.

A lot of new nursing grads have to settle for jobs in LTC which is roughly their equivalent of our chain retail pharmacy. They deal with issues similar to that of retail pharmacists - understaffing, low pay, unsafe work environments, and loss of clinical skills (leading to loss of job mobility), and worst of all being stuck in one of the least desirable areas of their profession.

What was on your disciplinary record?

When I was working for an independent pharmac as pic, a board inspector came, and the following was noted;
A technician found working without proper licensing.
A c4 did not have the alphabetical quantity written.
On the napb it is: narcotic violation ( which is completely not true) - here they are referring to the c3 rx
Negligence and incompetence.

When I was working for an independent pharmac as pic, a board inspector came, and the following was noted;
On the napb it is: narcotic violation ( which is completely not true) - here they are referring to the c3 rx

You'll fit right in with the pharmacy crowd.

If you got the negligence as an official citation on the record that got sent to NPDB, don't bother applying for nursing, you would be categorically rejected for any health profession degree due to that sort of discipline record. You probably will have to make do with pharmacy.

If you got the negligence as an official citation on the record that got sent to NPDB, don't bother applying for nursing, you would be categorically rejected for any health profession degree due to that sort of discipline record. You probably will have to make do with pharmacy.

Thanks for your input. But wouldn't that citation be for the pharmacy license. We they use that against a brand new license in nursing?

Those are BS charges.Was your licensed suspended for that? Were you fined?I would go to the state BOP website and see if there are any discipline violations on file.If there its no record listed you are fine.That stuff won't prevent you from getting a job.

Nonsense.Call the nursing board up and find out.

Nonsense.Call the nursing board up and find out.

I did call the board of nursing, they said their wouldn't be problems licensing. Another concern i want to throw in is that my hubby see the nursing thing as a step down or throw back of my profession and standard, but I see it as an addition to my credentials, fyi I have not been able to secure a job as a pharmd fi for almost 1 year now.

I did call the board of nursing, they said their wouldn't be problems licensing. Another concern i want to throw in is that my hubby see the nursing thing as a step down or throw back of my profession and standard, but I see it as an addition to my credentials, fyi I have not been able to secure a job as a pharmd fi for almost 1 year now.

Were you not able to secure a job before of the citation/violation or just overall haven't been able to find work? Has any place specifically rejected you and stated that as the reason?

Were you not able to secure a job before of the citation/violation or just overall haven't been able to find work? Has any place specifically rejected you and stated that as the reason?

No . I was working before now.