PharmD to MD logistics (prereq transfer, experience etc)

Started by jjjkkjkj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jjjkkjkj

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. Currently in pharmacy school and plan on pursuing med school once graduating. I have a few questions regarding the process. Would the med school prereqs transfer or would I be expected to retake the basic science courses again due to them being from a few years ago by the time I graduate with the pharmd? Do pharmacy experiences count towards extracurriculars like volunteering? I guess I won't go into detail here but I wanted to know if those reviewing med school applications would count them as valuable experiences or just dismiss them for being non-trad experiences compared to other applicants (I guess it's what I make of them). Also, how willing would professors/pharmacists/preceptors be to write LORs. I don't know why but I feel like they'd feel weird since it's basically like me saying I want out of this field lol. I know this stuff is all dependent on a lot of factors but I wanted to know if anyone had a general consensus about this path (NOT opinions on this path financially bc I know it's a disaster). I've read countless of pharmd to md threads on here, reddit, etc and I feel like they just glaze over this stuff and then they're just like "and then I got accepted!" with no explanation or details lol.
 
If you have specific questions, shoot me a message with the questions, experiences you’re concerned about, etc and I’ll answer to the best of my ability. Myself and several of my friends went from pharm school to med school, so I do have some insight. And as you stated at the end of your message, yes, every single one of us that applied got accepted.
 
As far as your prerequisites go, this will probably be school dependent so you may have to check with individual schools. I start med school in August and my school’s website said to retake anything older than 10 years or at least take some current upper level sciences. Others on here have said they had old prereqs and they weren’t a problem. I’m not coming from pharmacy but another health field and listed my work experience in my extracurriculars. I also had leadership experience and research from my former position and it seemed to be viewed positively. I had newer experiences as well though that were more tailored to applying to medical school so consider having some recent volunteering/shadowing experiences.
And if your local school offers pre-application counseling, take them up on it. Best wishes!