PharmD vs. PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a benefit to doing one over the other? Or maybe even doing both. I did not get accepted into a PharmD program so I was thinking about starting a PhD program and then possibly trying to dual or maybe even re-apply to pharmacy school. Most schools you have to be accepted into the PharmD first not vice versa.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to figure out what exactly you want to do before you dedicate 200k and 4 years into a degree. Most PharmD jobs do not require a phD.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes that I do know. I may start the PhD program to see how I like it but reapply to PharmD programs if I decide that bench research isn't for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've read, and I've read a fair amount about it, the MD's run the show on the clinical trial end of research. There are clinical pharmacists in those settings, but that seems like a lot of time and commitment to make less money. :shrug:

If you're truly interested in research, why not focus on small molecules? That's where a lot of research has been leaning lately. There's a fair amount of research going towards nanotechnology, but who knows, maybe it's a fad. Many of the biggest Pharma companies are outsourcing the initial stages of research to other companies, and keeping the best and brightest for the final clinical trials. If that's your real goal, it is a good paying career, but you're going to have to outshine all the other people in a downsizing field.

Have you shadowed a doctor, pharmacist, or research scientist yet? You really should consider spending at least a day following someone who does the job you're considering training for. No better way to decide what career is right for you!!

Is there a benefit to doing one over the other? Or maybe even doing both. I did not get accepted into a PharmD program so I was thinking about starting a PhD program and then possibly trying to dual or maybe even re-apply to pharmacy school. Most schools you have to be accepted into the PharmD first not vice versa.

PhD:
Tuition is usually free + you get a stipend to pay for living
Bench reseach for industy ~$100k starting but goes up higher and faster with merit
Narrower field of study means job market often swings wildly

PharmD
Tuition = $80-$200k, living cost extra
Retail ~$125k, hospital ~$105k in the midwest, pay doesn't rise as much with experience
Jobs options are more diverse and hence more stable than PhDs

Reactions: 1 user