pharmM to pharmD in usa

Started by tkyass
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tkyass

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm currently studying pharmM 5 years program in UK and I was wondering if I can transfer my credit hours to a pharmD program in USA. I have permanent residency status in the USA if this helps. and if you can guide to which school that accept the transfer if there is any??
if there is no school accept the transfer, do you recommend me to finish my degree in UK and then try to obtain a state license from USA? I heard that is very difficult to work in USA if you are not a US grad, is this true??

thanks in advance for your help.
 
Hi all,

I'm currently studying pharmM 5 years program in UK and I was wondering if I can transfer my credit hours to a pharmD program in USA. I have permanent residency status in the USA if this helps. and if you can guide to which school that accept the transfer if there is any??
if there is no school accept the transfer, do you recommend me to finish my degree in UK and then try to obtain a state license from USA? I heard that is very difficult to work in USA if you are not a US grad, is this true??

thanks in advance for your help.

Complete your degree. As far as I know, most pharmacy schools won't accept foreign transfer credits for their professional PharmD program. Since your degree is 5 years long, you most probably will be eligible to take the FGPEE and other licensing exams (NAPLEX, MPJE etc).

After all of this, if you still would like to do your PharmD, you can do one of the RPh to PharmD programs such the one at University of Florida, or attend a international PharmD program like the one at Nova Southeastern University or Western University.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete your degree. As far as I know, most pharmacy schools won't accept foreign transfer credits for their professional PharmD program. Since your degree is 5 years long, you most probably will be eligible to take the FGPEE and other licensing exams (NAPLEX, MPJE etc).

After all of this, if you still would like to do your PharmD, you can do one of the RPh to PharmD programs such the one at University of Florida, or attend a international PharmD program like the one at Nova Southeastern University or Western University.



Thanks a lot or your valuable reply.
I want to ask you one more question, I heard that after taking the fgpee and naplex I have to make an internship which as I heard is very very hard to ind one if you are an overseas graduate. How true is that?? This is the reason that made me think to transfer to pharmd and do you advice me to apply for pharmd now without wasting more time on my pharmM??
 
Well, I don't think it's that hard, I am also a foreign pharmacy graduate , I passed my equivalency exam by the end of 2012 and I started doing my internship hours in a pharmacy hospital [volunteering cuz I don't have a work authorization] but if you have a work permit, I don't think it will be difficult for you.
But as far as I know, chain pharmacies don't accept interns anymore, I asked about it my self, so you have to search in hospitals.
Good luck