PharmTech To Pharmacist School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonguyen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
i'm a newbie in here, and i was wondering that can a pharm tech get in Pharm school with a GED and high GPA at the pharmtech school. And i also would like to know that do i have to take the PCAT test if i enrolled to any pharmacy school, or do i have to take any pre-pharm classes even though i am a certified pharm technician. Is there any benefits for Pharmtech to enroll in Pharmschool. I would love to hear feed backs from this thread. If anyone can help me out with this information. I would really really appreciated it! Thanks alot,

To Nguyen

P.S: for example, does Xavier accept student like myself?..

Members don't see this ad.

They would accept you, but like all other applicants, you still have to take all the required pre-requisite classes. I am PTCB certified, etc. but you still have to meet all the other requirements in order to apply and be accepted into the program. IE. General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Calculus, English, Econ, etc.

First, good job thinking about going on!

Second, this post belongs in the pre-pharm forum.

Third, you can find what you need on the FAQ's for the requirements of most schools.

Finally, no - tech classes will rarely qualify for pre-reqs for pharmacy school. You'll need to take college level pre-reqs & those are not normally offered in a tech school (I taught in a tech school a bit ago....). So, you'll need to enroll in a college of some kind - CC, state, university, etc...& get your prereqs out of the way.

Your experience as a tech does count for a lot, so don't think all is lost. You just need to get those classes done & not just to satisfy a list of what appears to be irrational sets of classes. You need that info that you learn in math & chemistry to go forward in pharmacy. Experience in English classes make you a better writer, thinker & communicator which is also a bit part of our field.

Now....poetry......aaaah - I could never find justification for taking that class, but I'm just that shallow. I could read Dr Seuss books like crazy to my kids though - that's a kind of poetry - no????:p

Good luck - hang in there & you can find a way!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry SDN1977 about that i posted my thread in the wrong section.....it wwon't happen again...once again thanks for the info..it really helps me a lot ..by the way i have one more question..does all the credit from the previous Community College that i've took counts? as the prerequesites? like Biology and Philosophy...

sorry SDN1977 about that i posted my thread in the wrong section.....it wwon't happen again...once again thanks for the info..it really helps me a lot ..by the way i have one more question..does all the credit from the previous Community College that i've took counts? as the prerequesites? like Biology and Philosophy...

If those courses are sufficient for each school, then they should work.

not a problem - thats what the mods are for - to keep things neat & tidy.

There is usually a time limit on prereqs - normally 7 years. Beyond that, especially in the sciences, things change too much & they won't accept it.

But really - how much can Dr Seuss change, I ask???? Sneetches are sneetches - they were in 1983 & still are (I think????). See - poetry is really not my thing. Don't even get me started on philosphy - are we talking Socrates & such????? Aaargh - I don't think there is a time limit there - he died centuries ago I'm nearly certain:eek: !

pharm tech licensure only complements your application by making you look more experienced, just as extra curricular activities such as TA-ing, clubs, research...i'm not sure if you searched the threads yet- you can get a pharm tech license without having to take the classes.

i am assuming you are looking for a 6 year program fresh out of high school and is working on your pre-reqs? all the classes that you will take in college will count, pre-reqs and non pre-reqs. even accounting classes will count towards your gpa. you should try searching previous threads to get an idea of how things are calculated and what matters in making you competitious.