pharynx exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whasupmd2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

you guys have any tricks to visualize pharynx/tonsils? especially the kiddos? It seems like the ones that can understand your commands, the only way to really get a good look is gag them. For the really young ones, it seems like you basically have to pry their mouths open. Any of you all have this problem?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

whasupmd2 said:
hey all,

you guys have any tricks to visualize pharynx/tonsils? especially the kiddos? It seems like the ones that can understand your commands, the only way to really get a good look is gag them. For the really young ones, it seems like you basically have to pry their mouths open. Any of you all have this problem?

thanks.

If the kid is cooperative, have them pant like a puppy. Works pretty well.

mds

i always lay thhe ones too little to cooperate on their backs...at least then they aren't pulling away the whole time.

Members don't see this ad :)
whasupmd2 said:
hey all,

thanks.

if they're too young to understand commands, i save the ear and pharynx for last. invariably the ear exam will cause some distress, and they will 1) be crying and give you a good look, or 2) not like you very much and you can co ahead and gag them and get it over with without pissing them off twice. just remember when you're prying them open to gently twist and not pry too hard.

if they can understand you, the panting thing works, as does telling them to take a deep breath in-- both of these maneuvers will get them to elevate their palate and give you a better look. in the end though-- if you have to gag them, you have to gag them. no one ever said this doctorin' stuff was gonna be easy :)

--your friendly neighborhood tongue depressor wielding caveman

cherry flavored tongue blades.

very helpful.

unk_fxn said:
cherry flavored tongue blades.

very helpful.

yeah, those are nice. though occasionally a little bugger will take a liking to it and clamp down on it harder than the nasty wood flavored ones :laugh:

--your friendly neighborhood give me back my tongue blade caveman

You don't have to pry. Ease the blade back along one side of the mouth so the blade is centered along the molars (or where they will someday have molars) until you lightly bump into the angle of the jawbone. They will briefly open right up.

this is great. thanks.