PhD after MS1 or MS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skittles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some programs that allow you to enter the PhD stage of the MD/PhD program after MS1 instead of the traditional MS2. What are the advantages/disadvantages to doing this? Does it have something to do with transition to clinical medicine after the benchwork? Does it mean that you take the board exam after your PhD degree?

Members don't see this ad.

There was a student at Boston University who said they started PhD training following their MS1 year. He said that would allow him to take Step 1 immediately following MS2, which is when he would have been best prepared for the test.

Some students that I've talked to feel that its better to go straight from M2 to M3 because the transition is hard enough without a 3-4 year break in between. Another reason that some students are eager to get started with research early- either they want to continue with work done during a rotation or they have some other reason to start early. Coldchemist, as far as I know, most students take Step 1 after MS2 anyways, so there would actually be an advantage to taking it right after M1 and M2 instead of having the PhD break between that would give you more time to forget what you learned in the first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I thought I might have been wrong on that one. I can't remember exactly what his rationale was, but I do remember it sounded good at the time!

:laugh:

it sounded good at the time... hehe. Things are starting to blur for me as well. Everyone says their way of doing this is the best way for one reason or another... and after all the interviews, I'm starting to forget all the details.

I guess that's what the revisit is for.

UT Houston prefers if you do your PhD after MS3 and you also take your step 2 after MS3. I thought that was a great idea because you get to do your third year rotations with the class you've been studying with and getting to know for two years and you haven't forgotten everything you learned in MS1 and MS2.