PhD after US Medical School Graduation and Before Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1145671

Hey guys,

So I am currently in a US medical institution and interested in pursuing a MD/DOPhD. However, I was thinking of pursuing it after my graduation from medical school and before I apply for residencies...

Is this advisable? Has this been done before? I am deadset on the physician scientist track and would love nothing more than to get a PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What year are you in? If you're still early see if you can apply to your school's dual degree (if it exists) or see if you can do a DIY PhD through a leave of absence. I've seen some formal post-MD programs to get an accelerated PhD but I think these are less common. I'm just an applicant but I would imagine postponing your residency after graduating would be less ideal than doing it during

So - current OMS3, and there is no dual degree at my school. My school will not let me leave for a PhD in between.

Was just wondering about the current logistics of graduation from medical school and then pursuing a PhD in between.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are Research Track Residencies that allow you to earn a PhD along with the training. However, they typically last longer than the usual residency because it is not a PhD lite. As indicated above, NIH does have a funded program for taking one-year leave of absence during medical school before completing MS4 (between MS2-3 or MS3-4). Doing a PhD after MD is something that it is very difficult (that was my route), and the biggest question from residency directors was that I had not seen a patient in 5 years, how was I going to be competent? Fortunately, I did see patients along the ride due to a collaboration but...

Reactions: 2 users
There are Research Track Residencies that allow you to earn a PhD along with the training. However, they typically last longer than the usual residency because it is not a PhD lite. As indicated above, NIH does have a funded program for taking one-year leave of absence during medical school before completing MS4 (between MS2-3 or MS3-4). Doing a PhD after MD is something that it is very difficult (that was my route), and the biggest question from residency directors was that I had not seen a patient in 5 years, how was I going to be competent? Fortunately, I did see patients along the ride due to a collaboration but...

I am worried about not being competitive enough to match into a research track residency. What other options post residency are there for pursuing this academic medicine path?