PhD after US Medical School Graduation and Before Residency?

Started by deleted1145671
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1145671

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

So I am currently in a US medical institution and interested in pursuing a MD/DOPhD. However, I was thinking of pursuing it after my graduation from medical school and before I apply for residencies...

Is this advisable? Has this been done before? I am deadset on the physician scientist track and would love nothing more than to get a PhD.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What year are you in? If you're still early see if you can apply to your school's dual degree (if it exists) or see if you can do a DIY PhD through a leave of absence. I've seen some formal post-MD programs to get an accelerated PhD but I think these are less common. I'm just an applicant but I would imagine postponing your residency after graduating would be less ideal than doing it during
 
So - current OMS3, and there is no dual degree at my school. My school will not let me leave for a PhD in between.

Was just wondering about the current logistics of graduation from medical school and then pursuing a PhD in between.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll leave it to other advisors to guide you with any specifics, but I can give you the "flowchart" from NIH about training grants. I would be interested in your reason why you want to add the PhD.


Could you do a LOA and do a medical research fellowship?
 
There are Research Track Residencies that allow you to earn a PhD along with the training. However, they typically last longer than the usual residency because it is not a PhD lite. As indicated above, NIH does have a funded program for taking one-year leave of absence during medical school before completing MS4 (between MS2-3 or MS3-4). Doing a PhD after MD is something that it is very difficult (that was my route), and the biggest question from residency directors was that I had not seen a patient in 5 years, how was I going to be competent? Fortunately, I did see patients along the ride due to a collaboration but...
 
There are Research Track Residencies that allow you to earn a PhD along with the training. However, they typically last longer than the usual residency because it is not a PhD lite. As indicated above, NIH does have a funded program for taking one-year leave of absence during medical school before completing MS4 (between MS2-3 or MS3-4). Doing a PhD after MD is something that it is very difficult (that was my route), and the biggest question from residency directors was that I had not seen a patient in 5 years, how was I going to be competent? Fortunately, I did see patients along the ride due to a collaboration but...

I am worried about not being competitive enough to match into a research track residency. What other options post residency are there for pursuing this academic medicine path?