PhD after Veterinary School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
V

vetmed3

Is anyone else thinking of doing a PhD program after veterinary school to pursue biomedical research? I know this is not a common path so I have been struggling to find good sources of information and advice.

I am wondering if there are any programs that are better for DVMs compared to the others? It seems many programs I've looked into won't transfer any DVM courses and pay the same stipend for students coming from a bachelor's program as those coming from a doctoral program. I know most PhD programs I've looked into pay about $30k. I've also seen comparative medicine training programs for DVMs that pay well for veterinarians to pursue their PhD, but it seems those are only at the Ivy League schools. Is anyone aware of other PhD training opportunities for DVMs or PhD programs that will transfer credits to shorten the length of the PhD?

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Some (many?) vet schools have a combined DVM/PhD program that you could look into or consider applying for (not sure where you are in your veterinary career). Alternatively a few specialty residency programs have a PhD built in as a component (some lab animal residencies as well as most? anatomic pathology residency programs). Not all do, so you'd have to do your research, but they exist.

Some (many?) vet schools have a combined DVM/PhD program that you could look into or consider applying for (not sure where you are in your veterinary career). Alternatively a few specialty residency programs have a PhD built in as a component (some lab animal residencies as well as most? anatomic pathology residency programs). Not all do, so you'd have to do your research, but they exist.

Thanks! I'm actually 8 weeks from entering my clinical year so the combined program is not an option. It wouldn't have been anyway as my research focus is pretty specific and is not offered in my area, unfortunately. However, I am looking to do a PhD without a residency so I can focus on the research aspect of things instead of having multiple things to do at once. I've talked to many people who say combined residency/PhD programs don't work as well? I know lab animal definitely lends itself better to an integrated PhD, though. However, I was under the impression doing a lab animal residency would result in caring for lab animals and ensuring protocols are met as opposed to developing new projects for research and actually doing the basic science research. Is this correct?

I appreciate your reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm actually 8 weeks from entering my clinical year so the combined program is not an option. It wouldn't have been anyway as my research focus is pretty specific and is not offered in my area, unfortunately. However, I am looking to do a PhD without a residency so I can focus on the research aspect of things instead of having multiple things to do at once. I've talked to many people who say combined residency/PhD programs don't work as well? I know lab animal definitely lends itself better to an integrated PhD, though. However, I was under the impression doing a lab animal residency would result in caring for lab animals and ensuring protocols are met as opposed to developing new projects for research and actually doing the basic science research. Is this correct?

I appreciate your reply!
100% depends on you and the program. My program is incredibly clinically based and and is more like what you described (there's also no PhD or degree attached to it). There are other programs out there (Mizzou, Hopkins, MIT, etc) where you do clinical things for about a year typically and then join a lab to do a PhD. I am not really sure what the time commitment is like in those situations or if you get credit for vet school coursework or not (mostly because I wasn't super into that) but I'm sure you could look into it. And of course it may limit your options for the actual research component since they may have limited availability. At the end of the residency or PhD or whatever, you can do with it what you want. If you want to join/run a lab and write grants and papers for the benchtop research you just have to find the right job. Personally I'm in lab animal to do the caring of the animals so once I finish my residency that is the kind of job I'll be looking for.

Good luck!

My only advice for pursuing someone seriously interested in a research career a PhD after vet school is to think very, *very* carefully about doing said PhD at a vet school (or in clinical veterinary medicine). I highly recommend to instead go to a solid research university with a "human" medical school attached - that's where the grant $ is most of the time. With a few exceptions, veterinary schools do not nearly have the funding that medical schools and the like do - so buyer beware.

Additionally, if time is a factor, you need to remember that a postdoc after your PhD may (or even will) likely be essential if you really want to be in high-end, well-funded biomedical research. Your DVM counts for very little - a research lab worth its salt will hire a "regular" PhD with one or two solid postdocs over a DVM/PhD with no postdoc 9 our of 10 times. They don't really care about your DVM. Nor should they if their goal is someone with as much research experience as possible - a DVM does not prepare you for a career in biomedical research, it prepares you for a career as a veterinarian.

Unless you get into a T32 program, you will likely be paid the exact same as any other PhD student (and 30K seems quite high for a PhD stipend...I wouldn't count on that). Your clinical degree does not grant you extra $, nor should it, when you are in the same program as everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! I'm actually 8 weeks from entering my clinical year so the combbined program is not an option. It wouldn't have been anyway as my research focus is pretty specific and is not offered in my area, unfortunately. However, I am looking to do a PhD without a residency so I can focus on the research aspect of things instead of having multiple things to do at once. I've talked to many people who say combined residency/PhD programs don't work as well? I know lab animal definitely lends itself better to an integrated PhD, though. However, I was under the impression doing a lab animal residency would result in caring for lab animals and ensuring protocols are met as opposed to developing new projects for research and actually doing the basic science research. Is this correct?

I appreciate your reply!

I think they work fine, with the exception that a I see a lot of combined residents get steered into veterinary clinical research. Depending on your ultimate goal, this can help or hurt you.

It's all fine and dandy if you want to do clinical research on the side at a vet school as a faculty member - and some people do just that, and it works out perfectly. However, if you want to do really hardcore biomedical/basic science stuff? They will not be very impressed that you spent however many years studying the effects of whatever drug on horse diseases or the epidemiology of some random virus in birds, and that you have a few publications in veterinary journals (most of which, unfortunately, have pretty mediocre impact factors). They want basic science with human application.

I'm currently finishing up my PhD in a lab that is much more basic science oriented (as opposed to veterinary). My publications (and therefore job prospects) are better because of it. Unfortunately, you gotta play the game.

If I were you, I would check out T32 programs. There are around a dozen institutions, if not more, that have spots most of the time as far as I know.

Institutional Research Training Grants | Office of Research Infrastructure Programs (ORIP) – DPCPSI – NIH

Last edited:
I'll chime in on this one, in case you want any additional information about my path. I'm in a combined lab animal residency/PhD program, and currently funded under a T32 training grant. My experience in speaking with others in similar programs is that there's a pretty wide range from clinical to research emphasis, with some more flexible than others. I have largely research-oriented career goals, so I opted for a more research heavy/flexible program, where clinical involvement after 1st year was more self-directed. I also chose to pursue basic (cancer) research in animal models, and echo others to beware getting sucked into clinical veterinary research if that doesn't align with your goals.

I'll chime in on this one, in case you want any additional information about my path. I'm in a combined lab animal residency/PhD program, and currently funded under a T32 training grant. My experience in speaking with others in similar programs is that there's a pretty wide range from clinical to research emphasis, with some more flexible than others. I have largely research-oriented career goals, so I opted for a more research heavy/flexible program, where clinical involvement after 1st year was more self-directed. I also chose to pursue basic (cancer) research in animal models, and echo others to beware getting sucked into clinical veterinary research if that doesn't align with your goals.

My intended goal is to pursue a PhD at a medical school to use animal models to advance human medicine. I want to focus on type 1 diabetes. So I will definitely have the human application side of things as opposed to just vet clinical research. Have you felt the veterinary clinical research side is pushed more when doing a lab animal residency as opposed to a PhD only program? Thank you!

Though I can't speak for other programs, that has not been the case for me. For our dissertation research, we're able to rotate with and join just about any mentor's lab, provided they understand that we will have residency time commitments. Others in the past have joined labs over at our institution's medical school, and I work on models of human colorectal cancer (though I'm not actually at the medical school myself). We have another resident right now who just joined a comparative orthopedics lab, again focused on human medicine, and one in a biomedical engineering lab. In terms of research, we're all over the place, doing our own thing.

All that being said, I don't recommend going the lab animal residency route simply as a vehicle for getting a well-paid PhD position of your choice. To start, lab animal residencies (like many others) are getting more and more competitive, and you simply won't get in if you haven't demonstrated significant experience in the field. Take it from someone who has been interviewing applicants for the last three years--you need clinical experience in a lab animal setting and solid connections with ACLAM diplomates (it's a very small field, so this is paramount!) if you want to get a residency. Having a good research background alone won't be enough. Of course, you also won't have a very good time if you don't have an interest in lab animal medicine (not necessarily clinical medicine itself; for me it was diagnostics/pathology, animal model development, and investigator support). If you have an interest in this route, I would highly suggest getting your foot in the door at an animal resources department of some kind.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else thinking of doing a PhD program after veterinary school to pursue biomedical research? I know this is not a common path so I have been struggling to find good sources of information and advice.

I am wondering if there are any programs that are better for DVMs compared to the others? It seems many programs I've looked into won't transfer any DVM courses and pay the same stipend for students coming from a bachelor's program as those coming from a doctoral program. I know most PhD programs I've looked into pay about $30k. I've also seen comparative medicine training programs for DVMs that pay well for veterinarians to pursue their PhD, but it seems those are only at the Ivy League schools. Is anyone aware of other PhD training opportunities for DVMs or PhD programs that will transfer credits to shorten the length of the PhD?

Any advice is appreciated!
Greetings, OP. I attended graduate school before veterinary school, and departed my PhD with a terminal Master's degree. There are different 'methods' of obtaining a salary during graduate school. I was a member of an NSF (not NIH) funded lab. As such, my adviser's grants weren't large enough (in cash) to pay his students a salary AND support the research itself. 100% of my salary came from teaching. I taught every quarter I was enrolled as a graduate student- that is how I paid my bills. The post-docs in our laboratory were paid off my adviser's grants, but the graduate students were not. Teaching requires a significant investment of time to do it right. As such, about 30% of my time budget was devoted to teaching and its associated responsibilities (grading papers, writing exams, delivering lectures, etc.). If you intend on working in an NIH funded laboratory (the majority of research labs geared toward biomedical research), you will likely be paid off the grant (to some degree- teaching may also be required to supplement your income). Currently, the NIH pay rate for post-doctoral fellows (AFTER graduate school) hovers between the high 40s and 50K per year. Don't take this the wrong way (I don't mean to offend), but having your DVM doesn't necessarily qualify you to 'make more money' as a graduate student as compared to the applicant straight out of undergrad. Many of us on these boards have had discussions with posters that the DVM is not a research degree. The DVM teaches you very little (with the exception, perhaps, of epidemiology and extramural research if you went that route) about experimental design, statistical analysis, and manuscript/grant writing- THESE functions are the lifeblood of research. As a graduate student, you'll be performing many of the experiments for your project yourself (depending on the tech support within your adviser's lab). At senior levels (assoc. to full prof), the majority of your time will be devoted to advocating for your science and competing for money to fund your laboratory. YOU will now be responsible for garnering the funds to pay for your own staff to complete the projects that you design with these folks in tandem. Grants, manuscripts, and academic service are the name of the game in an academic research career. Industry can be a bit different, but you're a long way off from that step. Ask yourself if you deserve a higher salary than the student directly out of undergrad. Can you do more- as a scientist- than he or she? Do you know more- about doing science- than he or she? Graduate stipends pay you barely enough to live- nothing more. If you're looking to bank it in life with respect to salary, academic research (or research in general) is not the way to go.

I am also in the lab animal med camp. In fact, I'm eagerly awaiting the results of the residency match this February. I'd echo what my esteemed colleagues have said on this board- it has become a very difficult game to secure an LAM residency slot, and you'll be competing with people like myself who have a graduate research degree, multiple years of full time work as a staff scientist, and a crap ton of clinical LAM experience obtained during the veterinary years. Selection committees will be able to see straight through an application that doesn't scream 'I want to be a lab animal vet more than anything else in this world and have sacrificed significantly to get there.' LAM should not be a back-up for a research career. If you want to do big time science, get the PhD- NOT via an LAM residency. As a resident, much of your time will be spent attending to regulatory and clinical matters. Yes, you'll do research (more at some programs than others), but you'll also have responsibilities in other arenas, responsibilities that can't be blown off because you'd rather work on a research project. It's a very bad idea to apply for a LAM residency position because you want to make more money than you would in a straight up graduate position. That's insulting to people like me who genuinely want to practice LAM (regardless of what I'm paid), especially in today's competitive market.

I caution you from diving into a research career before gaining a full understanding of what the job entails (beyond the grad student stage). We're here to help should you have specific questions. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My intended goal is to pursue a PhD at a medical school to use animal models to advance human medicine. I want to focus on type 1 diabetes. So I will definitely have the human application side of things as opposed to just vet clinical research. Have you felt the veterinary clinical research side is pushed more when doing a lab animal residency as opposed to a PhD only program? Thank you!
OP...this is the type of lab you should be looking at to complete the type of research you want to do. The Abel lab is based at the University of Iowa's medical school.

E. Dale Abel | Department of Biochemistry

I agree with a lot/most of the advice you have been given.

I don’t have a lot of time to write much right now but I did a straight PhD at a large human hospital after my DVM. Feel free to pm me if you like.

Last edited:
I'm at Hopkins and during my lab years there was a lab animal med resident doing a PhD in a neighbor lab. The only reason I knew that
person was a vet is because I had interacted with them during their clinical year. That person was in the lab of a
practicing physician doing basic (and a little clinical) research on a disease that the physician PI treated.

Knew another lab animal med resident that did their PhD in a physician's lab. Not entirely sure what their PhD was on but they collaborated
with a colleague of mine that worked on animals modes of HIV associated CNS changes.

I talked with the first mentioned resident a bit about their residency program once and from what I gathered after the first year which was a clinical
year there was no other mandatory clinical responsibilties other than being on call once or twice a year. Not sure if any DVM classes transferred to PhD
but they anticipated their entire training taking 4-5 years. That would mean a 3-4 year PhD which is pretty rare for Hopkins combined programs (like MD/PhD) and essentially unheard of for PhD only students.

Julie Watson is the head of rodent animal medicine here (I think also director of the residency program) and an incredibly nice person
that I bothered many times during my research years. I'm sure if you reached out to her with your concerns she could give you some guidance.

I agree with a lot/most of the advice you have been given.

I don’t have a lot of time to write much right now but I did a straight PhD at a large human hospital after my DVM. Feel free to pm me if you like.
Thanks! I did.