PhD at same institution as undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twilson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some advice on this topic. I have received an interview at my undergrad institution to work with a professor I have not worked with during undergrad, but have our research matches well.

If someone could help me with some advice, please PM me. I would like to keep my questions private due to other students from my institution being on the forum

Members don't see this ad.

I would like some advice on this topic. I have received an interview at my undergrad institution to work with a professor I have not worked with during undergrad, but have our research matches well.

If someone could help me with some advice, please PM me. I would like to keep my questions private due to other students from my institution being on the forum

If you have that opportunity, congrats because my undergrad doesn't typically accept their undergrads for the grad programs in psych to keep the program competitive, or so I've heard...

If it's a good match, it's a good match... I don't think you should worry too much about others. Go for it...

Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
Since it is uncommon (and sometimes taboo), be prepared to tell them why you are considering staying. I was in your position and I was asked (but my answer must have worked -I got in)

Thank you guys for the advice..

I am more worried about how it may look later on during a job search and if it would limit me because it is in an geographical area that has a population i have a special interest in, so I would like to come back even if I do not stay here.

Just lots of things to stress about right now :eek:

I am more worried about how it may look later on during a job search and if it would limit me because it is in an geographical area that has a population i have a special interest in, so I would like to come back even if I do not stay here.

"Academic incest" could be a concern to search committees, esp. if you plan to apply for a job at the same university

I think it's better to diversify to help with building different contacts and maximize networking and experiences.

I know, thats what I am worried about too.

"Academic incest" could be a concern to search committees, esp. if you plan to apply for a job at the same university

I don't mean at the same university, just the same area.

If you can show that you had a reasonable reason for staying, like a special population and a recognized expert in the area... I wouldn't sweat it... the question may get asked, but if you have a great reason no one will judge ya for it.

Mark

FWIW, when I interned at a major Canadian research funding agency, any applicant who did their undergrad and grad work at the same institution was moved to the bottom of the pile without a second look at their application.

It's a bit different if you're working with someone other than your undergrad advisor, though.

I know more than a couple of people who have had no problem securing Canadian funding (SSHRC, CIHR etc.) after staying at their undergrad institution and even working with their undergrad advisor. So YMMV.

Generally speaking, obtaining your doctorate from your undergraduate institution is frowned upon. I think that there are more disadvantages than advantages in doing so, but I'm sure exceptions exist.

But WHY is this so bad?! I got an offer from my undergrad institute to work with the same mentor who i did my undergrad work with. And that mentor did the same thing, he got his doctorate at his undergrad institute and now hes tenured faculty at an R1 institute. I have 4 other interviews and truthfully so far my undergrad institution is the best choice for me and what i want to do but all this worries me....what is wrong with it?!?!

Employers, professors, professionals, etc. generally like to see a varied experience and diverse employee or researcher pool at their university. It increases the likelihood that you have unique talents and insights to offer to the program that can work well for both your advisor and yourself. It’s not “wrong” to go back to your undergraduate institution. If the opportunity is there…why not consider it?

Two big reasons why repetition of institutions is bad are nepotism (academic incest) and perceived lack of diversity.

However if in your reasoning you provide good explanations why you decided to stay, then you should be fine. Most application procedures will still look at your personal statements and CV.

Honestly I'm not sure if I'd want to go to an institution that would immediately discount me because I stayed at the same institution for a strong reason.

At the same time, moving around a bit between institutions does keep you on your toes and helps you interface more easily with various programs through experience and working with the other people in the field.