PhD Candidate w/MS looking to apply for LPC in IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted965275

I'm a 7 Ph.D. clinical psych student in Illinois and recently received my MS in the program. I'm looking to apply for my LPC while I complete my dissertation but I'm unsure if I have all the required coursework.

According to the state's eligibility requirements: "All doctoral programs in psychology accredited by The American Psychological Association or the Council for the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology are also approved." Does this apply if I have yet to complete the Ph.D.? If I don't meet requirements in terms of coursework, are there specific online master's programs where I can take single courses to complete this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to check with your school and the board of psychology as well as the licensing board for LPCs - most programs/states bar doctoral students from practicing on a masters-level license while still in school.

5+ years to get a masters? Did you attend part time? You would also need to make sure your field work meets the LPC requirements if IL allows this.

Also, this may be state specific, but I know that in my state, any hours you work as an MA level clinician will not count for APPIC hours. Also, your practicum hours may not count towards your LPC.