PhD in Biological Sciences, 507 MCAT with a low verbal. Please help me with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zamba

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN family,

I have been a part of this nontraditional forum for a long time, and I truly appreciate this community. I wanted to ask if someone can help me with a school list with my stats.
GPA undergraduate: Science 3.4, overall 3.5
GPA graduate: 4.0 (I don't think this GPA matters much)
MCAT 507( 86, 35, 85, 83). My verbal is low; English is my second language, but I know that doesn't matter. I have a bunch of clinical and non clinical experiences, publications, etc. My MCAT is my weakness. Could someone help me with a school list for DO, please? Not sure if I have a shot at MDs. I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro I would truly appreciate if you can help me with this. I have been following your advice on other threads.

Good candidate for any DO school, maybe your state MD schools if you're not in California. For better MD candidacy you'd have to raise your GPA via DIY post-bacc and improve your MCAT to 512+.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN family,

I have been a part of this nontraditional forum for a long time, and I truly appreciate this community. I wanted to ask if someone can help me with a school list with my stats.
GPA undergraduate: Science 3.4, overall 3.5
GPA graduate: 4.0 (I don't think this GPA matters much)
MCAT 507( 86, 35, 85, 83). My verbal is low; English is my second language, but I know that doesn't matter. I have a bunch of clinical and non clinical experiences, publications, etc. My MCAT is my weakness. Could someone help me with a school list for DO, please? Not sure if I have a shot at MDs. I appreciate your help!
I suspect that the low CARS score will hurt badly at MD schools. Suggest your state schools, and any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Good candidate for any DO school, maybe your state MD schools if you're not in California. For better MD candidacy you'd have to raise your GPA via DIY post-bacc and improve your MCAT to 512+.
Thank you for your feedback! I am in Illinois, and there are some MD schools here.

I suspect that the low CARS score will hurt badly at MD schools. Suggest your state schools, and any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.
Thank you @Goro! What are your thoughts on someone who scores average on the three sections of the MCAT, but totally bombs the CARS? I know CARS is very important, especially in the clinical years. While I know the other three MCAT sections also require one to comprehend English, CARS has really shattered my confidence. I want to improve my reading skills regardless of the outcomes of this cycle.

Last edited:
Also, I remember Larry Nasser's scandal. @Goro

Last edited:
Thank you @Goro! What are your thoughts on someone who scores average on the three sections of the MCAT, but totally bombs the CARS? I know CARS is very important, especially in the clinical years. While I know the other three MCAT sections also require one to comprehend English, CARS has really shattered my confidence. I want to improve my reading skills regardless of the outcomes of this cycle.
It's far less lethal for Do than for MD. If you look at the median stats for acceptees at MD schools 124 seems to be the cut-off for CARS

It's far less lethal for Do than for MD. If you look at the median stats for acceptees at MD schools 124 seems to be the cut-off for CARS
Thank you for your response!

@Goro Do you believe I should apply to MD state schools in Illinois with the stats above? Thank you again fro your time!

@Goro Do you believe I should apply to MD state schools in Illinois with the stats above? Thank you again fro your time!
For MD, chances are always best with one's state schools. Note that the 10th %ile for U ILL in CARS is still 124. I suppose that someone has to be int he < 10th %ile cohort,so why not you?

Skip SIU if you're not from southern ILL.

Try Loyola and Rush IF you have tons of service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Thank you for your feedback. I have no ties to SIU, so I will definitely skip that. Have a great weekend!