Low mcat, URM please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopelyine

Reaction score
Hello, as you can all see from the heading. I am devastated that after studying for months as a non-trad, my MCAT score came out to 493. My score was not even near that when practicing, but I have accepted it. I would like to know if I can attend any or a few med schools. I don’t know where to apply after this, but I still would like to give it a shot. I still have hope.
. African female
. MI resident
. Registered Nurse by profession, I have tons of clinical hours
. Good E.C
. Ok Gpa
I know about retaking it, but any other advice, any schools I can try any chances?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, as you can all see from the heading. I am devastated that after studying for months as a non-trad, my MCAT score came out to 493. My score was not even near that when practicing, but I have accepted it. I would like to know if I can attend any or a few med schools. I don’t know where to apply after this, but I still would like to give it a shot. I still have hope.
. African female
. MI resident
. Registered Nurse by profession, I have tons of clinical hours
. Good E.C
. Ok Gpa
I know about retaking it, but any other advice, any schools I can try any chances?
Thanks.
I can't recommend applying to medical school with that MCAT score, even as a URM. Your score is in the risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

I can't recommend applying to medical school with that MCAT score, even as a URM. Your score is in the risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.
Yes, 493 is the 24th percentile.
Given that OP will be married to such tests for the the rest of her life, it's clearly better to figure out what's holding her back before applying.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
What are your cGPA and s? What are y, our ECs ? What were,e your MCAT practice scores ?
My cGPA is 3.0( hopefully I calculated right) Imand my sGPA is 3.58 plus EC mostly clinical hours working as RN in different field since 2016( I worked in surgery, med- surg, home care, clinic, assisted facility) total 8384 and counting still working. Also before Rn I was a nurse aid, I did include the total hours under clinical already. I also did shadowing for about 31 hours up to now. I also volunteered for food bank- 176 hrs still continuing. Non clinical job- 1320 hours. Church volunteering- 486 hrs. I did DIY post- bac of all science’s classes between 2020 to 2021 while working.
I did an online prep course while juggling with other stuff. However, my practice scores were 508 and 507 I did progress to 510. I felt like this time I ran out of time in most of the section badly. Anyways I tried for this exam.

Anyways I tried for this exam.
Don't take the exam again until you are confident of a score c/w success.
They will all be visible.
A series of low scores is far more damaging than one.

Nursing sciences are not generally considered pre-reqs for medical school.

How many AAMC FL's do you have left?

• Love
OP—Nontrad URM here; I am matriculating this summer, happy to give some advice on taking the MCAT. I agree with the others about writing the exam again (when ready).

In general, what was your strategy for studying for the MCAT, and what was the format/way in which you took the full-length practice exams? Such a discrepancy between game day and practice tests raises some questions.

Edit: For anyone reading in the future: The Berkeley Review + UWorld was my recipe.

Last edited:
Don't take the exam again until you are confident of a score c/w success.
They will all be visible.
A series of low scores is far more damaging than one.

Nursing sciences are not generally considered prereqs for medical school.

How many AAMC FL's do you have left?
I did all the sciences pre_req like ochem, gen chem, and Biology, all of those as Post-bacc. I did all full-lengths 4 of them on the AAMC bundle I have nothing left. I think I got the material, but my time was terrible on the actual exam, for real. I have wanted to apply since 2021 but kept moving because of either school, work, or other life experiences. Keep pushing it, and now I am in my early 30s. If I don’t have a chance in the U.S., I guess I will probably look at Carribean schools like others have suggested too. I know If I am given an opportunity, I will make it. My app isn’t bad. Just that MCAT killed me. I don’t know this is though.

I did all the sciences pre_req like ochem, gen chem, and Biology, all of those as Post-bacc. I did all full-lengths 4 of them on the AAMC bundle I have nothing left. I think I got the material, but my time was terrible on the actual exam, for real. I have wanted to apply since 2021 but kept moving because of either school, work, or other life experiences. Keep pushing it, and now I am in my early 30s. If I don’t have a chance in the U.S., I guess I will probably look at Carribean schools like others have suggested too. I know If I am given an opportunity, I will make it. My app isn’t bad. Just that MCAT killed me. I don’t know this is though.

I strongly recommend that you not give your hard-earned cash to people who are happy to fleece you and kick you to the curb (Caribbean schools). You will still be responsible for the loans taken out, even if they never allow you to sit for Step 1! If content is not the issue, you need to find out what is.

At this point you may need to use third party resources to assess your readiness for the next exam.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Don't retake it again right now. I have to 493 and a 504 over a course of several, but made it in to medical school. Really figure out what you did wrong. When do practice exams you need to simulate like it is the real thing. For me that meant making my lunch and heading to the library at the time the exam started. I cut off my phone and pretended like I was doing the real thing. It helps what timing. Don't worry about you age. I'm 35 going on 36. Get this exam down because it can be a hurdle if not.

Edited: I would recommend using the practice problems to see your strengths and weaknesses. Also Uworld is great for assessing your knowledge. Another, do you have test anxiety? If so, that could affect you too so make sure you get that in check.

Reactions: 2 users
You would be better off to apply a year from now after you have retaken the MCAT with a higher score. Even 498 would be competitive for many DO schools and some MD schools. You mentioned that you ran out of time in some sections so it do not appear that your score is due to lack of knowledge but rather poor time management in the exam. That is something than can be fixed by pacing yourself during the exam. .

Don't retake it right now. I have to 493 and a 504 over a course of several, but made it in to medical school. Really figure out what you did wrong. When do practice exams you need to simulate like it is the real thing. For me that meant making my lunch and heading to the library at the time the exam started. I cut off my phone and pretended like I was doing the real thing. It helps what timing. Don't worry about you age. I'm 35 going on 36. Get this exam down because it can be a hurdle if not.

Edited: I would recommend using the practice problems to see your strengths and weaknesses. Also Uworld is great for assessing your knowledge. Another, do you have test anxiety? If so, that could affect you too so make sure you get that in check.
Thank you for the advice, I did pay for online mcat review course for few months, did all exams under testing conditions, and this is not even my first time taking these timed exams, just maybe in different fields.

You would be better off applying a year from now after you have retaken the MCAT with a higher score. Even 498 would be competitive for many DO schools and some MD schools. You mentioned that you ran out of time in some sections so it do not appear that your score is due to lack of knowledge but rather poor time management in the exam. That is something than can be fixed by pacing yourself during the exam. .
Thank you for the advice, Yes, I realized that too, like I knew the material but for some reasons I was so behind on the actual thing and ended up just trying to finish and that unfortunately hurt my score. Thanks will work on that.

You do not need to increase your MCAT by much. The GPA-MCAT grid for Black URM with a sGPA between 3.4 and 3.6 shows a ~15% chance for a MD acceptance. It increases to 67% with a MCAT of 500.

• Love
You do not need to increase your MCAT by much. The GPA-MCAT grid for Black URM with a sGPA between 3.4 and 3.6 shows a ~15% chance for a MD acceptance. It increases to 67% with a MCAT of 500.
Thank you so much @Faha I will work on that. Unfortunately, I sent my app to two state schools before the results. I wanted it to be verified that’s why. But, I will have to work on that. Thank you for your encouragement for real.

Non-Trad, URM, former RN. Current rising MS2. I had a low MCAT. I suggest maybe putting any other obligations to the side. Work and MCAT should be your priority. If you can crack 500 you'll be able to put together a decent school list between MD/DO programs. I had a 493 and retook and got a 502 which was enough to earn me 5 acceptances. My biggest MCAT advice is to really review. Im a firm believer that your review should take twice as long as it did to complete your qBank questions or FLs. Really reading what passage is asking, and not only why your answer choice is right, but why the others are incorrect. Once I attribute my increase to having a better review process .

Non-Trad, URM, former RN. Current rising MS2. I had a low MCAT. I suggest maybe putting any other obligations to the side. Work and MCAT should be your priority. If you can crack 500 you'll be able to put together a decent school list between MD/DO programs. I had a 493 and retook and got a 502 which was enough to earn me 5 acceptances. My biggest MCAT advice is to really review. Im a firm believer that your review should take twice as long as it did to complete your qBank questions or FLs. Really reading what passage is asking, and not only why your answer choice is right, but why the others are incorrect. Once I attribute my increase to having a better review process .
Thank you for your advise, I took almost 7 months off not working and just studying plus bought an expensive prep course. It did help, my practice went to like 510’s and above, but like everyone said the biggest enemy that day was the time. I never recovered from it, The questions were doable but I don’t know my time was really bad, I got so caught up on small tricky details and all my strategies went out the drain, I knew at that moment, it wasn’t good. But I am definitely going to work on my pacing, and do a lot of questions and time myself like crazy. I just don’t know what happened but it is what it is. Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: 1 users