PhD in Clinical Neuropsychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psu2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a PhD program in Clinical Neuropsychology. I'm particularly interested in the application of neuroimaging in the research of Multiple Sclerosis. I graduated from PSU and will be working this year at a Hospital administering neuropsych tests to out-patients and in-patients (mostly epilepsy pre and post op assessments). I want to apply to a fair number of programs, as finding a spot at an APA accredited school that offers a stipend is tough.
Also, do I have a realistic shot at getting into such a program like UCSD, Florida, or Arizona? I took the GRE general (1350) and Psych subject (680), and graduated with some research experience and an undergrad thesis (on an automated lesion detection system in MS), and a good GPA (3.94), but realize I'm up against people with masters degrees, more field experience, etc etc etc...Any thoughts / suggestions on schools or even specific faculty?
I'm guessing there are others out there who are trying to feel their way through this application process this summer....
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to PsyDs, but I just wanted to let you know that I think your stats and your experience will be highly appreciated by PhD programs. Good luck!

Your stats are good. I don't know who is doing MS stuff really. I know there is a someone at the University of Houston, and one at the University of Kansas. But Kansas doesn't have a formal neuro concentration. But you have a good shot at good programs and it doesn't get much better than Florida for neuro people-great program. Alot of MS stuff is going on in the post doc neuro program at the Medical College of Wisconsin too, but that pretty far down the road.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i would look again at those programs for your resesarch interst. MCW might be a better fit.

also: you may want to consider how much clinical work you really want to do, as imaging in psychology is not even close to ready for prime time right now. if you are only interested in research, this would probably not be a problem for you. but if you are interested in clinical practice, you may find little utility in learning different imaging modalities.

disclaimer: i spent several years of my life in a neuroimaging lab, that was incredibly interesting and likely helped me get into some places. but i have never been asked to look at a dicom set in my clinical duties outside of the lab.

Snow:

Whats the reputation of places like Queens College-where the Ph.D. is specifically in "clinical neuropsychology?" And what do they not get in that program, that we do? I would assume that they just only do neuropsych practicums and no therapy? If they do therapy, is it more cog rehab type stuff, rather than with the garden variety depression/phobia/anxiety crowd that you we all start out with at the university couseling center? I have been to several NAN and INS conferences and have never met a grad student or alum of that program. I looked at the program a few hears ago when I was applying so I have always been curious. That is actually the only program I know of that does this. Are there more (in the US that is)?

Last edited:
Snow:

Whats the reputation of places like Queens College-where the Ph.D. is specifically in "clinical neuropsychology?" And what do they not get in that program, that we do? I would assume that they just only do neuropsych practicums and no therapy? If they do therapy, is it more cog rehab type stuff, rather than with the garden variety depression/phobia/anxiety crowd that you we all start out with at the university couseling center? I have been to several NAN and INS conferences and have never met a grad student or alum of that program. I looked at the program a few hears ago when I was applying so I have always been curious. That is actually the only program I know of that does this. Are there more (in the US that is)?

I actually interviewed last year at Queens College. It is in the process of applying for APA accreditation so there are a lot of changes happening in terms of practicum requirements. As of right now, it seems as though students only do neuropsych practicums. The curriculum is also very different from other clinical programs. They require a year of neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, and psychopharmacology plus sensation & perception, and cognitive neuroscience.

Wow -

Thanks so much for the quick, detailed responses - with suggestions of schools and all!
I just wrote my undergraduate thesis on an automated lesion detection method (as opposed to the current semi-automated lesion detection method) and am interested in how lesion volume, location, and type, as measured by standard MRI methods, correlate with cognitive performance...specifically areas that have been shown to be defective in persons with MS (processing speed). I think that neural imaging is fast growing and, because it's relatively new, has a LOT of room to grow and refine...I know I may be limiting myself down the road, but I am interested in working in a hospital on an outpatient basis, or even in a private practice someday..
However, yes, am interested in a Clinical Psych program with a specialization / focus in Neuropsychology... I'm looking at UCSD, Arizona, Florida, UAB, Kentucky, Temple, Drexel, LSU, Georgia St., S. Florida, Houston, Texas...as well as the schools already suggested on this list!
But yes, the imaging in the area of MS and cognition is what seems to interest me the most....any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated - names of professors, schools, or just general advice!
Thanks!

to jon:

i agree that a working knowledge of imagining techniques is a valuable skill to have. and part of the ABCN exam. however, i wanted to impress on the OP that processing any imaging modality is not a clinical activity most NPs are called upon or even allowed to do. so spending years learning this stuff is probably not going to yield educational resutsl that are significantly differnt than what one could do in other activities (e.g., TA'ing a wet lab). i can think of one neuropsychologist nationwide, that does fmri stuff clinically. i am sure you know who i am thinking of. i also would hypothesize that it is not going to become a clinical duty in the near future as this would impinge upon the business of radiologists. although some would disagree with me.

i just wanted to impress on the OP that this would not be a likely clinical duty of his/hers ever. which is something i wish someone had sat me down and explained years ago.

that being said, i loved every second in the imaging lab. and yes, it was an incredible learning opportunity. however, my referral sources are not interested in my take on films.

now back to dictating...