PhD in Public Health specializing in Epi and PhD in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shannon24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into some graduate public health programs and would like to know the difference in a PhD in Public Health specializing in epidemiology and a PhD in Epidemiology. I have seen a lot of the schools only offer the PhD in Public Health specializing in epidemiology. I'm thinking that the PhD in Epidemiology would be a more in depth study of it and would give you more qualifications for a position as an epidemiologist. If anyone can explain the difference to me I would be very greatful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be talking out of my @ss on this one, but I think you're right. You could be an epidemiologist with either options, but you might be taken more seriously among epidemiologists if your graduate degree is in the specific field. I don't personally know anyone with an PhD in Public Health, but I would imagine that this type of degree may be more helpful in becoming established as an applied epidemiologist rather than an academic researcher. (Similar to previous discussion on here where people compare a PhD to an Dr.P.H.).